back to article Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Can games be ahead of their time? I’ve heard it said of musicians, film directors, even comedians but rarely attributed to any person, or any particular release, within the games industry. Perhaps it’s time we started? Take Ico, for example, originally released for PS2 in Europe in 2001 to critical praise but scant commercial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 1Rafayal
    Thumb Up

I have the PS2 versions of both these games. Normally, I wouldnt bother with an HD remake etc, but I have to say I am am sorely tempted with this one.

I dont know how to explain just how good these games are to people. In Ico, the relationship that builds between the two characters is so subtle it has to be seen to be believed. This is made even more impressive when you consider that there isnt much English in the game (its a lot of gibberish mainly). But of course that just adds to the replay value...

Then you get Shadow of the Colossus, you are simply one highly driven individual who is faced with what often appears to be impossible tasks.

If you missed these games when they first came out, make up for it now.

1. MJI Silver badge

How to explain

Quite simple as Naughty Dog explained - one of their main influences is Team ICO

2. Adrian Jones
    Facepalm

So...

...this isn't about the Information Commissioner's Office and rebuilding a war-time computer?

Colour me disappointed.

3. jai

cannot wait!!!!!

i canNOT wait to get home and play SotC again.

it was the one game that made me keep hold of an original PS3 for so long, so i could go back and replay it. But eventually that finally died at the start of the year, I moved to a PS3 slim. (but made sure i kept a working ps2 in the cupboard incase i felt the need for some colossus bashing).

Sadly, i missed out on ICO, so totally looking forwarding to playing that for the first time.

But it's SotC that i'm dying to play. To relive that first moment, when you get to the top of the cliff and behold the sheer size of the beast you've got to battle... and then, that 3rd bstard with the sword! and the flying bird thing!......

and for it all to be in hd graphics... i just can't wait. might have to fake a stomach bug and skive off work for the rest of the afternoon....

4. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Jaw Dropping

SotC is nothing short of beautiful. Even on the PS2 it looks fantastic. I remember playing the demo when it first came out on an OPS Magazine coverdisc and stopping dead when I first saw your initial colossus. Cries of 'How the bloody hell are you going to kill THAT?' echoed around the room, along with plenty of 'whoa' and 'woo!' sounds when you get Aggro within stomping range.

Right, I'm gonna finish at 2 and hit the gameshop on the way home!

5. DZ-Jay

I played Shadow of the Colossus in the PS2 years ago and there are not enough superlatives to describe the experience. Truly one of the very best games I've ever played, and I'm much more into the shoot-em-up, arcade action genre. It is a masterpiece.

I never played Ico, but I've read reviews of SotC where they claim that is not as good as its predecessor. So, with an endorsement like that, my expectations are very high.

I've been waiting for this remake for years now and I'm glad it's finally out. My Amazon order has just shipped, and I can't wait to play both games soon. I look forward to re-living the magnificent, yet bitter-sweet experience of playing SotC.

-dZ.

6. Paul Chapman

Excellent

Now we just need an HD remake of Okami.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like