back to article Chinese fuzz bust faux iPhone racket

Police in Shanghai have arrested five suspects in a phony iPhone case that is thought to have netted over three quarters of a million dollars. According to the Shanghai Daily, police raided an underground workshop in July in the city’s Zhabei district, not far from the Shanghai Multimedia Valley technology zone, and found that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Smithson
    Thumb Up

"Police in Shanghai have arrested five suspects in a phony iPhone case"

Must have been a pretty big iPhone case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Case

But, generally, they are quite diminutive and probably have quite a high packing density.

2. Eddy Ito
    Joke

Shirley

"The raid netted 200 of the faux iPhones"

Don't you mean iFauxnes

1. Rich 30

HA!

Buy yourself a packet of scampi fries with your friday pint to celebrate such a joke!

3. Neoc

A difference that makes no difference is no difference.

So if they are assembled from iPhone parts, and even an iPhone engineer admits it'd be hard to make the difference, why are they "faux" iPhones? Surely, they are faux "Apple"... but iPhones nonetheless.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a ding (bat)

"headed by a local man named Dong."

And what sound does his door bell make?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Laugh?

... I almost started.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the phoney phones

made with real components and actually worked.....so how can they be phoney if they worked as good as the original? like saying tesco jeans are crap when they look and last as good as Levi's

6. Pax681
    Joke

a man called "Dong"?

sounds like a prick to me!

did he have a friend called wang?

1. TheOtherJola

Racism ftw!

o_O

2. Jimbo in Thailand
      Joke

re: a man called "Dong"?

Actually, Dong and Wang are their last names. Dong's first name is Ding and Wang's first name is Long...or vice versa?

7. Jedit Silver badge
    Coat

Five suspects?

People, we must stand up against this blatant miscarriage of justice and protest. All together now:

RELEASE THE IPHONE 5!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah yes where I can I buy...

that new pre-jailbroken iPhone?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"albeit with a reduced battery life"

How did people even notice?

6 hours instead of 8, was it?

10. JaitcH
    Happy

The Android version of the look-alike continues unabated

There are look-alike hand-phones on sale in China which appear, on first glance, to be Jobs' products but are actually physically identical but running on Android. The screen icons are identical.

More popular are the Android knock-off look-alike pads on sale and from the outside appear the same. However the weight is a little heavier than the fruit version.

These, and other similar devices are readily available across China in the ubiquitous electronics 'marts'.

I even saw them in Shenyang, Liaoning Province way up in the extreme north-east near the North Korean border.

The typical Chinese user seems to be more than satisfied as long as te physical appearance is similar. I did see version numbers that were different, instead of iPhone 4 they might label it iPhone 4ZE. The Android OS runs English and Chnese characters.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like