back to article 007's car outdrives iPhone in battle of the brands

The annual CoolBrands survey has returned this year, and Apple has again failed to claw back the top spot that its much coveted iPhone held just a couple of years before. The CoolBrands survey, which delineates the most desirable consumer brands, has once again declared Aston Martin is this year's coolest brand, keeping the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lurker

...Votes come from a collection of too-cool-for-school personalities which the company calls their "panel of influential opinion formers".

Oh well, I'm convinced! If two dozen Nathan Barley types think it's cool, it must be!

1. Lottie
      Joke

Agreed. This list is well weapon!

2. An ominous cow herd

Nintendo (or iPhone) ahead of Lamborghini?

Yeah sure, I'd like a 3DS better than a Gallardo...

1. g e
      Thumb Up

Gallardo? You JEST, Sir!

Sesto - Flippin' Elemento, mate, all the way! :oD (Should that be Sesto EloMental ?)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sesto+elemento&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=sqyFTtaTMMeFhQeB4dXVDA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=938

3. Dazed and Confused

can't be cool

If everyone (your Granny included) has one.

Part of being cool is being a little bit different, a bit quirky.

The iThingies are far too common.

4. Thomas 4

I can see it now.....

<The scene: Two figures are fleeing from the towering HQ of an evil conglomerate. Several machine-gun carrying are chasing them>

"James, they're chasing us! How are we going to get away?"

"Don't worry, my dear. I'll use my iPad to plot an escape route in Maps that will take us to the nearest bus stop."

"WE'LL NEVER MAKE IT!"

"Hang on! I can use my trusty iPad as a bulletproof shie-"

*crack*

*splat*

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just who were these people

Who in their right mind put the iphone at No.2?

It shouldn't even be in the list!

When will people learn iPhone is dead, its not desirable to be seen as illiterate! And be under no illusion, that is exactely what people will think of you if your seen with an iPhone.

Hello Day old news. Cancel the iPhone subcription. There business is going to Behind the times!

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Not the "iPhone" in 2nd

Its the whole Apple/i-wotsit brand together - Macs and iphones and Ipads and ipods all had to be lumped together to get it to number 2.

2. Paul Naylor
      Headmaster

Irony corner

So you think people using an iPhone are illiterate? Read your own post and then maybe get that bullet hole in your foot looked at.

Yes, I am an iPhone user but know the difference between "there" and "their", "its" and "it's", and know exactely [sic] how to spell "exactly".

3. Jan 0 Silver badge
      WTF?

Does @Obviously! own an iPhone?

I see that they* are one of the illiterates.

*"they" - can stand in the place of a singular noun because I don't have enough information to write "he", "it" or "she".

4. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Personally I just took the fact that they have said that the iPhone is Number Two as a snide comment......

6. carl 10
    Trollface

Ssssshhhh!

Don't let Apple's lawyers hear that, I expect they already have a patent for "world's coolest car"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows

Obviously rigged. I don't see a mention of Windows Phone or Microsoft anywhere in that list.

8. MJI Silver badge

Some strange companies in there

US lagers really! Bulmers aghh.

Bikes how can you out do Ducati.

Aston Martin I agree with

B&O - don't they just repackage Phillips?

Loads of brands I have never heard of.

Good job this is completely unimportant.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Trollface

Sir

Aston Martin - for sure..

but who the hell votes Harley Davidson in as cool?

Most of the Harley riders I know are old farts with armchair bikes. Personally I think the Victory's are a much better American cruiser, but not many people have heard of them.

The one Harley bike that most non-biking people think of that looks cool, i.e. the V-Rod - is seen within Harley purist circles as not being a Harley at all as the engine was developed by Porsche and doesn't need a re-build every 10k miles :P

1. Chris Miller

Harley

Looks cool, sounds cool, handles like a ... well, they don't call 'em 'hogs' for nothing. Great tourer if you live in Utah: only encounter a bend in the road every 200 miles and can't legally travel over 55mph. Oh, and don't ever, ever drop it - unless you're travelling with a team of body-builders.

2. defiler

Harley Davidson?

Number 3? What were they thinking?!

Harley Davidson holds about as much cachet as Massey Fergusson... It's a bloody tractor on two wheels! Ducati, MV Agusta, Moto Guzzi, Triumph - all cooler bikes than Harleys. To be honest, I think the Big 4 Japanese manufacturers would be in there as well if they weren't so damned reliable.

I suppose HD are cool because of all the people lounging outside fashionable cafes and bars with them (whilst waiting for the recovery truck).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The iPhone 4..

...is just like the DB9 - looks cool, has design flaws. A major DB9 design flaw is battery useage + the fact that it's under the boot and the charger socket is in the boot. So if it goes flat, you can't open the boot (there is no manual override for the central locking - well, there is but it's in the boot in case you're very small and get locked in).

The DB9 does make a nice noise and go fast - unlike the iPhone 4.

1. Shakje

I haven't tried it, but presumably you could download a noise that you find nice, and then throw it.

I always thought cool was the thing that people used to ignore design flaws?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're not allowed Motorola until Google is

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/29/us_department_of_justice_asks_for_more_time_to_look_at_google_motorola_acquisition/

11. ducatis'r us

sooo cooool

Hardly Ableson! 1940's technology at 21st century prices,mostly ridden by overweight middle aged men. The local owners' club meet at the Golf club. How cool and BadAss is that? As for the Expert Council.... words fail me.

1. Stuart Tomlinson

got a harley sportster (and owned harleys for the last 20 years) and its 1957 technology dont you know. Although now technicaly middle aged, not bald and have never been in a golf club, I must be doing something wrong....

All bikes are cool, Harley just have a brand image among non-bikers that other brands would kill for.

Shame no sign of triumph though, my S3 is arguably a better bike 99% of the time.

12. Captain Hogwash

@ MJI

They must have meant B&Q.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bond isn't cool.

The films are shown on ITV for christsake.

Aston martin would be in Zero'th place if it wasn't for the bond association keeping them down.

14. Lottie

ooh

The latest "hoxton douchenozzle" style guide is out!

I can't believe that Apple scored higher than the Wasp T12 though...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, won the lottery ...

What's first on my list of unnecessary luxury goods? iPhone or a classic Aston Martin DB4? One is as common and ubiquitous as a bic biro and the other rarer than hen's teeth -- with real value.

NO CONTEST!

Of course Aston is top of the list! And in other news, bears shit in the woods and water is wet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good news - there's even a company in Guildford that'll take your classic DB4, add 21st century shocks, springs and brakes and generally make as cool now as it was then. To drive, that is.

16. Colin Millar
    Thumb Down

Failed journos and designers

Need a iPhone or a DB4 to make you interesting? There's a reason why no-one ever heard of you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sir

and you are?

1. hplasm
        Happy

Interesting-

and unknown!

17. g e

Congratulations! You have a choice of prizes!

You're a winner!

You may choose from :

An Aston Martin

An iphone

Seriously, what moron would pick the poxy phone.

1. MJI Silver badge

I bet some would

Some of the worshippers would.

BTW I know an Aston Martin owner pity he is so far away

18. Steve X
    Stop

I hate to say it, but...

I think Aston Martin's showing this year might have more to do with a certain "Just Married" drive down the Mall than with Jimmy007.

19. Anonymous Coward 15
    Joke

Nice car

I bet your penis is massive.

20. The elephant in the room
    Paris Hilton

I have not heard of any of those experts

therefore they are not famous

therefore they are not cool

therefore their opinions of what is cool are just guesses and may as well have been suffixed with a ?

Paris on the other hand...

21. Dazed and Confused
    Headmaster

The pedant's guide to DB4s

While the latest generation of Aston's don't float my boat many a past model means that Aston will always be cool, even if they do re-badge a Toyota.

A 90's Virage Vantage (especially the V600), sit in the middle of your own personal earthquake. Don't bother actually moving anywhere, just make the world move around under you.

But back to the DB4. The DB4 isn't that rare, of course there are DB4s and DB4s, they came in 5 main series. But then you have the DB4GT and for real rarity there is always the Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato of which I think there are only 19. You'd need a big lottery win to move one out of your dream garage. Now what will tonight's numbers be?

(actually I'd prefer a standard road going DB4GT, most have been sworn of their bumpers and taken on the track going form)

22. K12

Cool is cool

Cool is very subjective and it is interesting that the top 2 are existing technology made stylish. The Aston is Ford technology with the V12 engine been 2 mondeo V6's, V8 from Jaguar (from their ford days) and pretty much everything else under the skin. The skill was to take this technology and produce something jaw droppingly beautiful, smile inducingly fast, and a sound that makes tunnels a neccessity. Basically it manages to appeal to every sense. The worry for them been where the next new generation of cars will come from as they have just been launching repackaged versions of the existing vehicles recently.

Whatever we think about Apple they do a really good job of taking products that exist, i.e. the smartphone and recreate them into something that is stylish, easy to use and desirable. Personally I would never want one due to the control applied by apple but I can see the allure and I am greatfull that they drove the market into producing great alternatives.

These products appeal to our basic desire to want something lovely in our lives that makes us smile.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like