back to article We7 morphs from jukebox into a radio station

Is there anyone in the world who needs to know the difference between "on demand" and "non-interactive" music? We use the words "jukebox" and "radio" as shorthand – but really, no one should care. But in the archaic world of music licensing, the two command different royalty rates – and the higher on-demand rates are squeezing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kevjs
    Mushroom

Noooo.....

Not another one, first Last.FM, then Spotify and now We7.

The days of legal freeloading on demand music look to be over :(

2. unklefolk
    Unhappy

Alternatives....

Any suggestions for those of us who still want to listen to a full album???

1. The BigYin

Buy the CD?

Just a thought

2. sjb2016

How committed are you?

I'm a bit disappointed in the WE7 transition, but I suppose I didn't help the situation by using ad-block, which managed to block most of the ads they put at the beginning of each track. Am using the radio service, but I find their picks aren't as good as Pandora's.

Anyway, the best alternative is a bit clunky and will probably go away eventually as well. I use Tor Browser to access Rdio and sign up for their 7 day free trial. I do it, once a week, creating a "unique" email address using gmail's + feature (eg myemailaddress@gmail.com, myemailaddress+1@gmail.com, myemailaddress+2@gmail.com) which Rdio will accept as a new email address. You'll need to configure tor to only use US exit nodes and enable Flash on Tor Browser (thus negating the purpose of Tor Browser), but it works. Clunky as all hell, but it's price those Freetards amongst us have to pay ;)

3. CD001

Grooveshark - though I have absolutely no idea how that's legal... they claim it is. *shrugs*

4. waltg

Still can...

I subscribed to this when they were offering ad-free for £3.99 a month and all the old features are still available in the updated version ie search, show albums by artist, play album etc. About the price of a pint for tons of ad-free music and a reasonable catalog.

3. Mystic Megabyte

@unklefolk

Yes, try Jamendo. Check out

Epic Sound Factory - Titan

Tunguska Electronic Music Society - Aquascape sunrise

LukHash - Standalone

Perrson - Lonely Night

Professor Kliq

Or just run VLC and go to Playlist>Internet>Jamendo selections

1. The BigYin

+f for Jamendo

Magnatune too.

1. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

Re: +f for Jamendo

Kultur Smog. There is a tendency for the artists to pursue you if you download. Meheh.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well, back to pirating for me...

5. Rimpel
    Unhappy

Shame

As one of the 2% that listens to over 50 tracks per month on we7 (6000 tracks in 15 months according to my last.fm profile) I expect I will pay £5 per month for the service.

However I do think that now they won't get many paid subscriptions because they have made it impossible to browse artists and albums to check out exactly what music they stock before signing up for the service. I haven't tried napster for this reason...

For purely a radio service why you wouldn't just use last.fm instead? we7's radio suggestions are powered by last.fm anyway!

Instead I've been checking out mflow this week which does offer free on demand streaming (of albums). Although the music catalog isn't quite as big as we7 or spotify it is completely free and somehow it's ad free aswell.

This topic is closed for new posts.