back to article Sony was a victim as well: Australian privacy watchdog

Victims of the Sony Playstation Network hack included Sony, according to Australian Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim. His just-concluded investigation, launched in April, was designed to determine whether or not the hack compromised the personal information of Australian subscribers to the service, and the degree to which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. heyrick Silver badge

ISo...

If your security sucks and you get hacked, you're a victim? Does "victim" translate as "not responsible"?

1. DrXym

Yes you're the victim

If I left a window open in my house and I got burgled I'm still a victim even if I am in part the author of my own misfortune. So yes Sony is a victim. PSN subscribers are potential victims since it's not even clear how much if any of the information was stolen, let alone used by anyone.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ DrXym

If you left a window open and got robbed, you might get some sympathy.

On the other hand, if you left your keys in the front door and had no burglar alarm active, your insurance company is unlikely to look favourably to your crisis.

2. Pax681
    FAIL

a "victim" of their own shitness in security perhaps?

a "victim" of ourdated and unpatched server side software?

WHEN will there be judges that know wtf they are talking about when it comes to IT ?

sony's liability of blatantly obvious

3. auburnman
    FAIL

Be fair

*Part* of their security failed - that's not to say it sucked. There is a difference between failing to prevent unauthorised access to data, which Sony admitted happened here, and not bothering to protect data from being stolen, which you seem to think is the case; if you have proof that the hack occurred because Sony's security was substandard as opposed to just beaten, we'd all like to hear it.

The attackers got a list of names and addresses, credit card details were not leaked. Fair enough they could have encrypted the name and address list as well, but some people cry and wail like the list was posted as a downloadable file on their website.

I, much like many others, got two free games and access to Playstation Plus premium content by way of apology when the network came back up. I'm not happy this happened, but no-one has lost any money and Sony apologised with free stuff. Put it in perspective.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ AM Wake Up

Put it in perspective !.

Although the data was encrypted ( whew) ,one of the data objects required to de-crypt is the

root key and public RSA key .

And what do you think was hacked before or not long after ?,the RSA servers ,and other key servers -3rd party,WAKE UP!!.

Its like a burglar breaking into your house and finding the alarm system code ( after you left a sticky note in the kitchen) ,and then finding your spare keys and getting them copied ,and then you dont even get the locks changed .

Further more the thief then goes into business as a key cut man ...lol...WAKE UP ! ..

Free games ? , who gives a rip when someone empties your life savings ?.

Fortunately nothing has surfaced as far as end users being robbed as yet ,as this would make the findings of the commissioner a joke ( which it is ,should be a slap for no FW & unpatched)

,as if any surface under ISO blah blah ( guidelines only -not hardened) a class action would be

a certain .

4. Pax681
    FAIL

@ auburnman

<blockquote>I, much like many others, got two free games and access to Playstation Plus premium content by way of apology when the network came back up. I'm not happy this happened, but no-one has lost any money and Sony apologised with free stuff. Put it in perspective.</blockquote>

oh.. so that makes it alright then?

the hacker groups STATED that the server side software was out of date hence they were able to use the attack they used, IT WAS UNPATCHED APACHE. Also as a bonus THEY HAD NO FIREWALL INSTALLED

so i am being perfectly fair and the more i think about it the less informed you seem to be or is it as simple as throwing a couple of shiny baubles your way and sony is all good to you?

So tell me how does running out of date and unpatched software AND not even running a firewall FFS.

You sir are either just a plain dumb and can't perform a simple google search using the terms "PSN unpatched apache and no firewall" OR you are daft enough to think that a few of the afore mentioned "shiny baubles" make it all ok OR

you are astroturfing

you sound like a sony apologist to be quite frank.. and your post an enormous epic fail of titanic proportions

1. tw@tpanda
      Trollface

I'm just wondering, did Sony kill your puppy or something? You seem rather angry about the whole thing.

5. Pax681

@ tw@tpanda

nah man, not even remotely.

but they were most deffo negligent as shown above and auburnman came across like a shill/astroturfing type who blatantly talked guff bud.

simple as that really.they were negligent in the extreme, they got hacked and humped and auburnman came out with a text-book astroturf style post.

astroturfing is bollocks to i called him on it :)

1. Layer2

ROFL -- Humped with ISO blah blah ... http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_up_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like