back to article Nokia axes another 3,500 jobs

Nokia is cutting a further 3,500 jobs in Europe as part of its restructuring plan to save the company €1bn in operating expenses by 2013. The Finnish phone company axed 7,000 jobs in April, with 4,000 people going from Britain, Denmark and Finland and 3,000 Symbian jobs moving from the firm to Accenture. Today, Nokia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Linux

Bear, woods, pope-

you know the rest...

2. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Down

"We are seeing solid progress against our strategy, and with these planned changes we will emerge as a more dynamic, nimble and efficient challenger,"

I'm delighted for you mate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"We are seeing solid progress against our strategy"

At last, stunt-CEO Elop is right about something!

3. Mark Jan

RIP Nokia

"While Nokia has put its eggs in the Microsoft basket, its Redmond-based partner has not returned the favour."

And that is supposed to surprise who exactly?

Just wait until Nokia has all its eggs and the kitchen sink with Microsoft!

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

>closes a factory in Cluj in Romania

Are you sure it's just a factory? With a name like that it'd be ideal as a Symbian development centre :)

5. Pseu Donyme

>and 3,000 Symbian jobs moving from the firm to Accenture.

After Nokia is done with Symbian nobody is going to need this sort of work; it seems Nokia has delegated the sacking to Accenture who have been happy to oblige.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is not time yet

Nokia is not "dead meat" enough for Microsoft to come in and "rescue" the company by buying it for next to nothing and with the regulators saying that Nokia is so minor of a player in the market who cares.

Yes - "our strategy" is working. Follow in Apples footsteps because we have no clue on how to make a product that succeeds in the market.

7. G2
    Coat

Nokia - disconnecting people

... from their jobs

1. Goat Jam

Something I have Been Wondering Lately

What percentage of Finnish GDP does Nokia account for?

It is basically Germany, and the Finns who are bankrolling all the EU bailouts at the moment.

So, when Elop succeeds in imploding Nokia, moving revenue to MS along with the wholesale destruction of probably the entire tech sector in Finland, with the all the job losses that entails, I wonder what macro effects that will have on the Finland economy and their ability to hemorrhage cash to the basket case economies of southern Europe?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who appointed him ? The Board - and they are mostly Fins

No sympathy - the shareholders should replace the Board of directors. Shame on them for not seeing this was going to happen. Elop must work for the commercial arm of the CIA - all the benefit to MS and Accenture...

8. dcd
    Meh

How sad but inevitable

And the saddest part is that there are so many out there who still think the ship is in good health. For a truly pathetic example of this pop over to allaboutsymbian.com and see spin in action like you have never read before.

9. DrXym

Don't expect any bailouts from Microsoft

Microsoft loves to buy it's industry partnerships but if things don't work out the way they hoped they'll leave their partners high and dry. Look what happened to Toshiba with HD DVD as an example.

10. James 51

Nokia is slowly circling the drain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Still Hope

Cant it adopt Android & merge with RIM ? Must try.

1. Ilgaz

RIM has brains

I am nearly sure they will make sure QNX is absolutely perfect with amazingly low overhead it is famous for, speak with Adobe for Air runtime, keep maintaining their Java for business and officialize Android runtime support.

They will either do these by their wish or Icahn like necessarily evil guys will force them.

It is way more logical than dealing with some weirdo silverlight shell company.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As they say at Nokia

Meego soon

12. Ilgaz

Not feeling any pity for them, hope it gets worse

I hate the company, its culture, its management, little mind's tricks (latest is N9 availability) and I want them to fail horribly. It is the one and only company I hate that way, like a kid. If I build my own PC, the OS it will run will be Windows 7, another license for MS. So, I am not your average M$ hater. If I buy a Windows phone, if it fits my needs perfectly, it absolutely won't be a Nokia. I know the company and I pity whoever buys a Windows phone from them.

I am sure not alone.

A Symbian user...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all about the patents

This is part of the strategy. The aim is to break up the company and have all Nokia patents transferred to MS.

14. Mikko
    Angel

refreshing honesty from Elop

"We are seeing solid progress against our strategy"

- Things keep going in the opposite direction to what we planned

, and with these planned changes we will emerge as a more dynamic, nimble and efficient challenger,"

- We will soon be a very small company with a small marketshare compared to the big players ("a challenger")

Message received and understood.

15. Richard 12 Silver badge
    WTF?

Where are the shareholders?

Surely they can't all just be waiting for NOK to go low enough to get bought out by Microsoft or somebody else for the patents and shell?

Nokia was hurting, so Elop decided to slit Nokia's throat.

You don't cut your own throat if you've got a sprained ankle!

Now the management is just desperately trying to cauterise the wound, but so far it looks like they're going to bleed out sometime in the next two to three years.

Seriously - WTF‼‼

1. Ilgaz

Where is Finland govt and secret service?

Finland is a social government. Nokia is a national treasure. What happened to their government and secret service? This really looks and shouts ilke a foreign economic intelligence operation.

It is a job of a government to protect its and countries interests. See how Germany, USA works.

16. Mikel
    FAIL

Turned over EU distributors too

Burned the bridge to retail in europe, and it will need to be rebuilt.

17. januszs
    FAIL

Just after moving factory from Germany to Romania

I remember Nokia getting a lot of bitching and bashing when they were moving their factory from Germany to Romania not so long time ago. And now this... Have they even earned enough cash to compensate the costs of moving?... Highly doubtful.. Yet another lost battlefield. Do they really hope to recover?... By thralling to Microsoft? I have strong feeling that they mind interest of some particular execs not the company as a whole.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like