back to article Samsung YP-T10 4GB MP3 player

Let's be honest, any new Flash-based 2, 4 or 8GB media player with a 240 x 320 screen has only one real aim in life: to be better than the equivalent device from that mob who slap a half-eaten Granny Smith on all their kit. So it is with the new Samsung YP-T10. The specification sheet suggests a pretty beefed-up player. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete Slater

Slowing down audio playback

Most reviewers find it hard to come up with a good reason for changing the speed of audio tracks whereas I actively look for it as one of the main selling points when buying a digitial audio player. The reason being that I study Japanese language and spend a lot of time listening to conversations. Any as student of a foreign language knows, slowing down the speed of audio is a great help in picking up new words or bring a fast speaker down to the normal speaking rate you may be more accustomed to.

Couple that with the fact that this player supports Ogg Vorbis and has a radio, two things which the iPod is missing, and I think you have an easy win for me.

The only thing missing, which I would have liked to see, is an OLED screen. The review doesn't mention what type of screen it has so I assume it is LCD?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Screenshots

Wow, that's horrid. No really, that is really ugly. It may be intuitive to use but i can't imagine wanting to look at that menu system often with graphics like that. Maybe a comic book fan would like it though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't review the whole package

What was the PC software side of things like? Does it use standard software like WMP / iTunes / WinAmp, or use some custom creation?

How does it integrate with online music services apart from DRM-less MP3 solutions like eMusic?

The menu system looks rather childish, although I'm sure the screenshots don't do it justice as to its use. How is it for fast scrolling through a large playlist?

4. Glenn Hyatt

Variable Audio Speed

Pete Slater offered a good reason for variable-speed audio playback that I hadn't thought of. I'll have to try that.

My Mobiblu has that feature, and I use it differently. I listen to a lot of podcasts and can never get through all the podcasts I want to listen to. So I speed them up to 1.2X normal speed. Everyone sounds like they're breathing helium, but I get through more material in less time.

5. TeeCee Gold badge

"...standard Samsung charger/USB..."

Surely that should read: "...proprietary Samsung charger / USB....."? If it was standard, it'd be a bog mini-USB as used by world + dog. One of the first things that I look for when buying a new small device these days as it makes life so much simpler.

This isn't helped by the fact that the one thing the Samsung phones I've been exposed to over the last few years have in common was that they all had different and incompatible connectors..........

6. A J Stiles
    Linux

@AC

Who really cares what the bungled PC software is like?

As long as the device emulates USB mass storage (and pretty much everything does, these days) then as far as the computer is concerned, it's *just* a disk drive.

You can then use your own favourite software -- even whatever the Windows equivalent of `cdparanoia -B`, `for i in *wav; do lame -h $i && rm $i; done`, `mount`, `cp` and `umount` may be -- to transfer your files across.

7. Gilbert Wham

Ogg Schmogg

No FLAC? Bah.

8. A J Stiles
    Boffin

@Gilbert Wham

FLAC is a non-lossy codec which can be used by files in an OGG container. (As opposed to Vorbis, which is a lossy codec which can be used in an OGG container and sounds subjectively better, for any given bitrate, than the MP3 codec). According to the review, OGG containers *are* supported -- but it's ambiguous as to what actual codecs are supported within the OGG container :|

9. MattM

T9 or T10

I'm a happy owner of a T9 4GB for over a year now. After reading this article I'd still go for the T9 instead of the new one.

1) The T9's radio has RDS. Really helpful if you travel a lot and want to find your fave station again.

2) Don't take USB mass storage for granted! Samsung didn't implement it in the T9's EU/US firmware, but the Asian ones have it (still English, of course). What about the T10 then?

3) The keys! Why oh why did they go for those horrible touchy thingies instead of keeping the 4-way-pad the T9 has. Looks like the Back/Menu/Mute keys on the side went missing, too! Blindly navigating with the player in your pocket is now impossible (Does come in handy with that rain cloud emptying itself on you)

Thanks a bunch, though it's way above the Granny Smith brand, it doesn't beat its predecessor. I'll keep my T9 :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like