back to article Hackers disguise malware as emailed docs from smart printers

Hackers have developed a new ruse designed to trick recipients into opening malicious email messages that come loaded with malware. The trick involves sending emails that pose as scanned documents from office printers or scanners, forwarded by a work colleague. The unlikely source of attack is liable to fool many users, net …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Execution of ruse let down

By the usual tell-tales of bad spelling, atrocious grammar, and Irregular Use of CAPITAL Letters.

And the fact that the named sender is invariably a brand not in use in the offices.

2. Gordon Fecyk
    Alert

Is MessageLabs predicting their own demise again?

"Paul Wood, Senior Intelligence Analyst, Symantec.cloud (formerly MessageLabs)."

I use these guys for my e-mail filtering. They boast a 100% virus detection guarantee in accordance with a service level agreement, meaning I don't have to pay when they screw up. Yet they pull doom and gloom statements like this. Certainly their flagship Skeptic system can catch fake office documents just like it catches fake anything-else. And it has; I haven't seen an e-mail virus sent to my domain since I subscribed.

Guys, are you saying your own service can't save us?

Mind you, they also said the internet was going to be doomed in 2008:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/09/24/internet_will_become_unusable_by/

1. Another Cowardlyman

You are nuts for believing an AV vendor for a 100% virus detection rate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You shouldn't need anything new or complicated for this.

Think of it the same way you don't allow 10.* or 192.168.* on your WAN side.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It uses Javascript ?

Thank you NoScript.

Again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like