back to article Power cut knocks Miliband off-air mid-speech

A live broadcast of Ed Miliband's Labour party conference speech fell off the airwaves when a power failure cut him off mid-sentence. The political get-together, held in Liverpool, was being shown on Sky.com and on BBC TV – but the video streams cut out for approximately 10 minutes just before 3pm BST. According to Sky …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Asiren
    Big Brother

Badly timed power cut

Translation: "We decided on your behalf that what Ed had to say would have been a waste of all our time. So we didn't let you hear it."

2. Graham Marsden
    Black Helicopters

Labour's plans to license journalists...

"Say things we like, or we take away your licence..."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Adam Boulton added that the technical problem was simply due to a badly timed power cut.

......where we cut the power to obfuscate Miliband's speech. How dare he try to restrict the media"

4. Da Weezil
    Big Brother

Wheres the paddle?

Liebore wont be happy till they have the whole uk population on some register or licence.

There seems NO political party worthy of our trust or support.

Its a long creek we are up... (or some type of canal)

1. Arrrggghh-otron

I'll go along with everyone being licensed or registered on one condition.

That all politicians and (political) civil servants (i.e. not the ones who do real work, you know, the ones who sit on committees and 'groups' etc) are next to face licensing and have the most stringent entry requirements, are required to face pubic scrutiny every year in order to renew their license, are held to the highest standard of ethics, face the most severe punishment for every and any professional misconduct (I don't care what they do in their personal life as long as it doesn't affect their ability to do their job), their income is capped at twice the national average and they are not allowed to have other jobs or sit on boards etc. Pay for their own pensions (above and beyond the state pension like the rest of us), pay their own travel costs unless travelling on business (i.e. they have to pay to get to work like the rest of us) etc etc...

5. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I just have to say <click>...brrrrrr NO CARRIER.

6. Mr Young
    Happy

Power cut?

I don't think so - did some SAS guy knife armoured cable or wot?

7. I'm Brian and so's my wife
    Joke

Cable theft?

It is Liverpool after all.

8. I'm Brian and so's my wife
    FAIL

Mid-sentence?

Was anyone listening after that?

1. RichyS
      Facepalm

Was anyone listening before that?

1. deains
        Happy

I lost track of it. What were we listening to?

9. Captain Scarlet

Badly timed

I think its well timed, thats about the time it would take me to find the remote to change the channel to something else. It might have stopped people like me changing the channel!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power cut knocks Miliband off-air mid-speech

Sounds like a lucky escape...

11. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Ed Milliband cut off mid-sentence by a power failure?

So this is either proof that:

Ed Miliband is a robot controlled by someone else (Blair / Brown / Balls / take your pick).

Or, that he's a Terminator sent from the future in order to instigate the Rise of the Machines [tm]!

Enquiring minds would like to know.

To be fair, whoever his overlords are, they are at least polite. When he was at the Treasury, the Blairites called him the emissary from the planet fuck. Because he was the only one of Gordon Brown's team who could complete a sentence without swearing at someone.

12. Zog The Undeniable
    Facepalm

I doubt we missed much. Ed's a nice enough bloke, not a smiling devil in disguise like Cameron, but he has all the charisma and leadership qualities of my cat.

1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
      Joke

What's your cat's position on cutting the deficit and ensuring growth?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What's your cat's position on cutting the deficit and ensuring growth?"

"miaow"

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

So are you saying he will win the next election?

Charisma of a cat? That is a sure win.

Worst case scenario we can feed him some catnip.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Badly timed?

Those union's flexing their muscles at you Ed, be afraid!!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the technical problem was simply due to a badly timed power cut"

so they admit they timed the power cut?

/mines the one with the tin foil lining.

15. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

labour seriously

labour god almighty they spend spend spend and then they blame the conservative for cuts get a grip labour. i watched most of this conference and good god almighty they got sucked in to a load of bull he says he would cut tuition fees from 9000 to 6000 haha more like keep it at 9000. if people seriously believe in labour there as stupid as they are. we should be spending money on sensible things like broadband homes roads etc not wasting it on stupid quangos who sit and do nothing and get paid for it or people who are on benefits taking advantage of it and having a big mansion and mercedes or a mother who can have 7 to 16 children all claiming child benefits each. sorry but this is not on its about time it got squashed

16. CmdrX3
    Childcatcher

I won't be losing any sleep over missing it.

The man is a total dullard. Could you really see him representing this country on the world stage, he put them to sleep in no time. When he got in as Labour leader my initial reaction was what the fuck are you all thinking, then I realised they just need a sacrificial lamb that they can get shot off when it gets close to election time again, when a proper leader (probably David Milliband this time) can take over. John Major had more charisma than Mr. Ed and that's a tough cookie to beat.

17. Gavin Peake

Is it a coincidence that ITV2 were showing "Tomorrow Never Dies" last night where something similar happens ?

18. jungle_jim

and he has wonky eyes

19. dcd
    Thumb Up

Fucking mint!

Anyone got a link to the Sky footage?

20. Steve X
    Coat

Seemed like a pretty standard Labour message to me, completely devoid of content. He should be congratulated on its length, though. Hard to beat.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly a cover-up

"My message to the British people is....

[Bzzzt]

"We are emerging from our podules and we will eat your children. Release the Blears!"

22. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Coat

Bit of a does-a-tree-falling-in-a-wood situation

After all, as it's highly likely no-one other than journos were watching anyway, does it make any difference?

23. Christian Berger

What's a power cut?

Is this something political?

24. Suburban Inmate
    Black Helicopters

Overreacction if you ask me.

It's not like this was the Iraq war enquiry, is it?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Human Miliband

I can't help but think of Ed Miliband as the modern-day Neil Kinnock.

So, inspired by that other great institution, the Dixons Stores Group, I hereby rename Ed Miliband to kinnock.digital

26. Charles Smith

I was hanging on every word

He is sooo credible, just like the 16 y/o son of a failed property developer. Ed was fortunate that technology took pity on him.

27. Wayland Sothcott 1

Ed Milliband

Why did they pick Ed Milliband rather than the more credible David Milliband? To give the very weak Con-Dems a much needed head start. It should not be necessary to power cut him, surely he is useless enough already.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like