back to article Apple confirms iPhone event on 4 October

Apple has started to send out invites for an announcement on 4 October and, judging by the familiar app icons in the email artwork, accompanied with the tagline "Let's talk iPhone", the event will be all about unveiling the next Apple handset. Apple iPhone event The invites confirm widespread rumours that the early October …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromearth
    Trollface

Oh.

Has The Reg been invited then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh.

Aren't you the funny one.

1. Neil Greatorex
        Coat

Just a thought.....

Maybe, just maybe, if you post zero Apple stories for a full, and I mean full, month you maychance get your invites back.

Just a thought :-)

Gone already.

1. Arctic fox
          Trollface

RE "Just a thought"

"if you post zero Apple stories for a full, and I mean full, month you maychance get your invites back."

Nothing short of several years of brown-nosing of the sort you can see virtually daily at, for example, the Graun's tech site would have any effect. El Reg is on Cupertino's shit list - you can judge a web-site by their enemies. In common with very many examples of BigCorp Apple is totally anal about being in any way, large or small, dissed.

2. amanfromearth

@Drewc

Thanks. Recognition of my comedy talents is all I live for.

xx

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Trollface

Curious minds...

...want to know.

So... have you?

2. PaddyPower
    Angel

Thankyou Jesus.

let the rumour mill crank up into full swing for the iphone 6 now..

3. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    Meh

Hmmm...my Give-A-Stuff-O-Meter is still registering zero

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mostly_Harmless

Enough to post a comment telling us all though. Methinks the lady doth protest too much....

4. Shaha Alam

Have i read this right, they're announcing that they're going to make an announcement?

1. UkForest
      Joke

No, you've read an announcement of an announcement that they'll be making an announcement...

5. big_Jim
    Stop

More to the point

Are Samsung invited?

6. Annihilator
    Boffin

5, not 4s

It can't be the "4S". The only reason an S model was ever released (3GS) was because the 3 in the title had nothing to do with it being the third iPhone. In that example, the successor to the 3G could never have been called the iPhone 4, as it wasn't the fourth.

Still, it's Apple, and they can do whatever they like I suppose..

7. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

There will be disappointment

Such is the maniacal fervour that has been instilled in the faithful, and the wild flights of fancy entertained by the physics-illiterate tech media, I think there can only be a deep (but never to be told) disappointment after the launch when:

The "MindBoard" thought-control function chooses only the filthiest thoughts of the user (but that's just like the regular iPhone keyboard, I guess)

The revolutionary "AirCase" amorphous mist construction makes device impossible to pick up.

The improved "TimeWarp" clock compensation system only bends time and space in a radius of 10 km as a correction when it screws up your wake-up alarm. again.

The quantum battery is not only not user replaceable, but cannot be accurately located within the enclosure, which is just as well, because it's impossible to add a second one.

Apple's magical "RealLife" projected holographic immersive 3D chat system requires other party to not just be on WiFi, but also be in line-of-sight of caller, and in audible range (but at least it works when the phone's off)

The "TruthHound" built-in polygraph doesn't work with within the 95014 ZIP-code.

People still don't talk to you.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd guess the (1) on the phone icon means one phone being announced rather than 2 as speculated

9. Patrick O'Reilly

Magical & Revolutionary Cartography

Does the inclusion of a map icon hint that Google Map's integration is on the way out?

1. alex 39
      Holmes

I think that's indicating the meeting location nothing more, as the other icons are time and date.

Date, Time, Place, Subject.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No

the map icon is to show you that the event is at 1 Infinite Loop. They're being a bit literal with this one

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe there'll another event a couple of weeks later

to celebrate 10 years of the iPod

11. OrsonX

10 o'clock!!

not 10:15?

Does this mean the clock icon will finally show the righ friggin time?

12. QuinnDexter

Play on words...

...that missed the comma from "Let's talk, iPhone" due to the voice recognition crap it's going to spew

13. Jaffy23
    Joke

See you next Tuesday Apple!

14. Alistair MacRae
    Unhappy

My head!

I find myself wanting one despite hating apple and not knowing what it does better than the last one.

Still My 3GS is sickly and needs replacing but isn't very old so what’s the quality going to be like.

I don’t want one but I do! How have they done this to me again!

I hate myself...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Alistair MacRae

I'm in exactly the same position.

My 3GS is battered and bruised but still functional.

I could have replaced it a long time ago with an iPhone4 or any number of Android equivalents, but I haven't.

Does this tell me all I need to know, that despite not really liking Apple I will end up with a new iPhone?

1. Dennis Adams

I've just bought an iPhone 4

Yes, I know I should have waited... but I needed to replace my iPhone 3GS, and Carphone Warehouse have them going very cheap.

I'm gambling that the new announcement will be an incremental improvement, rather than a massive quantum leap in technology.

If I am wrong, I will cry in my beer.....

... mine's the coat with the iPhone 4 bulge in the pocket...

1. It'sa Mea... Mario
        Pint

They will probably have them cheaper after Tuesday...

Never mind, have a beer!

16. ed2020

Invite is a verb, not a noun.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Trollface

Verb.. noun...w/e

Sure, you're right... but seriously, w/e, context was unambiguous.

But there, there, I understand.. you're getting upset the way I do when people don't use metric :P

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm setting the alarm on my iPhone for 9am as we speak...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like