back to article Tosh puts 1TB in the palm of your hand

Toshiba has slimmed down its handheld external drives by using a thinner two-platter spinner inside. The STOR.E Art 4 is no more. Toshiba's arty-looking and thickish 2.5-inch external disk drive has gone. In its place are two Canvio drives; one black and basic, the other in multiple colours with included backup software. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. defiler

Am I the only one who still marvels at the amount of data I can lose down the cushions on the sofa?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nope

It used to be just spare change and tv remotes. Now you can lose the entire Encylopedia Galactica, every issue of Playboy, Popular Mechanics, and Car and Driver in under the cushions of a chair, to say nothing about the sofa.

That being said, what's the bandwidth of a station wagon these days???

2. Rich 30

Same, but

I'm more amazed by how much data you can fit on something the size of a finger nail, ie the very easy to buy 32GB MicroSD card, or even the slightly harder to find, 64GB MicroSD card. Witchcraft!

3. James Hughes 1

Nope.

I grew up with a 32K BBC Micro and 720K floppies.

4. Code Monkey
      Thumb Up

It's (just) over 1000x the storage on my first PC and I was far from an early adopter.

5. Adrian Jones

Nope

Back in 2000/01 my boss bought a 1GB microdrive. That was passed reverently around the office to gasps of "it's a hard disc!" and "it's a gigabyte!".

I had a similar reaction when I bought my first 32GB microSD card. 32GB fitting on the nail of my little finger.

And just for contrast:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/storage.asp

6. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Amazing ...

And, yet, TERRIFYING!

2. bofh80
    Joke

style-ish

Better not put a screen in the middle of it, otherwise apple will sue for copying the iphone 'design' . . . . .

1. JD999uk

Better patent that idea....

Clip over covers to make it look like a big smartphone. "Yeah this new phone has 1 Terabyte storage" should silence the overbearing Iwannabee's down the pub...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know how good this one is

But I got a very small 1Tb Western Digital unit in black for £70 outta Currys (yeah, ukkk) earlier this year.

Three partitions, use it for backup on both Linux and OS X.

Silent and fast. USB powered too, so very portable. It'll probably blow up now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incredible

A laptop disk in a portable enclosure. Whatever will they think of next.

5. Babai
    FAIL

Toshiba's after sales support s-u-c-k-s!

USA/Taiwan may be spared but for rest of the world - its pathetic.

Better buy Seagate/WD/Samsung/XYZ , atleast they provide decent warranty service

6. 2cent

A man can dream

The time has come to do away with the larger drive format, change the backplane inside PC's so they have a slot for direct connector in the smaller format. As always, in BIOS or software, RAID it.

If one fails, move on.

Flip open front/side of machine, slide drive into cheap alignment slots and your off.

Everything else uses a cable that's bigger to the same backplane.

The Dream: An external circular cabinet (* see asterisk for design drawing) with a modular fan mount fan at the top and exhaust at the base. Then circular cassettes module holding 5 or more drive can be interfaced at top and bottom and stacked.

7. Rich 30
    FAIL

price?

No price for the 1TB sized option, which the article is named after?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like