back to article Amazon to kindle Fire tablet tomorrow

Amazon's Kindle tablet will be called the Fire and be based on the same core technology as RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook, it has been claimed a day ahead of the retailer's big announcement. That's according to Tech Crunch, which claims that while the Fire will be shown off on stage by CEO Jeff Bezos, punters won't get their mitts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

And even now

Reg hacks are patiently waiting for the first malfunctioning Kindle 2 battery, just for the headlines.

2. LuMan
    Thumb Up

OMAP

I had a quick run through the TI wbsite and had a look at what the OMAP had to offer. If this thing uses OMAP5, and makes use of its full feature spec, then we could be looking at something very nice.

Of course, if it doesn't......

3. craigb
    Holmes

optional

and then RIM sues Amazon for 'patent infringment' for making a tablet that looks like the playbook... oh wait a minute, we're actaully dealing with grown up companies(hopefully) that will compete at the till rather than the courthouse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Shame about the childish commenters isn't it?

4. Anonymous John

If it goes the way of the Touchpad, will there be a Kindle Fire-sale?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just kidding,

does this mean that they will open their AppStore to the rest of the world? or will it be another "USofA" only product? As it is, I can't even download their Kindle application on my Galaxy S2!

off-topic: Why are _digital_books_ regional locked? I can buy the physical copy of some books, but when I try to buy the kindle version, I am told that it is not available to me because of where I am trying to buy it from! Come-on Amazon, putting a regional lock on books? this is low, even for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For the same reason DVDs are region locked. This has little to do with Amazon and much to do with publishers, so calling Amazon 'low' is off the mark, and frankly juvenile.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Regional e-books

Blame the publishers for region locking. Or remove the DRM.

Blame publishers for only allowing an e-book license to be lent once in it's lifetime - if you're lucky to get even that.

Blame publishers for expiring library e-books licenses so they have to be re-licensed after a number of years.

As for the tiny share of money that goes to an author from the sale of an e-book license....

3. Alvar
      FAIL

Annoying as it is you can't blame Amazon for region locks, it's the dead tree publishers who haven't woken up to the fact that parcelling ebook rights out on geographical lines makes no sense whatsoever, and just pushes people towards cracked downloads.

It would be nice if these idiots actually looked outside their little cartels and noticed that this hasn't worked for the music and film industries, but that's probably too much to ask.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

I don't know for sure...

..but I would think this is down to distribution deals/rights.

Personally I would think Amazon would prefer to be able to distribute across the globe after negotiating a price, but I can see publishing houses, (larger ones - and maybe regional laws mandating this being in place), stating that they will NOT deal unless regional locking was in place. This will mainly be for the big sellers, the ones which will obviously sell and because the framework being in place, would apply to the rest.

I could be wrong.

5. Andrew Richards

Regional locking

> Come-on Amazon, putting a regional lock on books?

Not necessarily their fault. Some publishers/rights-owners may request this. It's not unusual for different publishers to publish the same book in different places: digital-rights may be local too.

6. Justicesays
      Big Brother

Blame the publishers

When you buy a physical book, the object already exists , and is covered by the publishers locally obtained right to print copies of that book, even if the book is then subsequently sent elsewhere.

When you buy an E-book, this is classified as "publishing" a copy of the book in the country the purchaser is in, so the local publisher in that country has to be the one to make electronic copies available. If you were buying ebooks 3-4 years ago this was pretty much ignored, but they cracked down on it once ebook readers started to get popular.

I think its also the case that electronic book rights may have to be purchased seperatly to physical printing, so even if the local publisher can provide print editions, they may not have (or want to buy) the electronic rights.

Amazon just obey the current regulatory framework when they do or dont sell ebooks in a particular country.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

wot no kindle?

Why can't you just download the kindle app from the android market?

8. Ian 70
      Thumb Down

Well you can get their kindle app from the regular Android market place. Also it's not necessarily Amazon but the rights holders such as the publisher being different in two different regions and having differing opinions on eBooks in general.

Of course with a little work you can easily circumvent the region lock and purchase direct from the states should the deal be cheaper.

6. Code Monkey
    Thumb Up

If this prompts a drop in price of the current Kindle I'll be right in there!

7. James 51

If I was going to buy a tablet the playbook is the probably the one I'd go for so this makes this more interesting.

8. Lloyd
    FAIL

Hmmmm

But if it's a "cloud" device with only 6GB on on board memory, how useful will it actually be?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm in the EU and have downloaded Amazon's Kindle application on my Galaxy S2 from Google's Android store.

From my tests it appears that Amazon's e-book files are NOT themselves region locked, but the purchasing funnel on their website is. I suspect this has more to do with the publishers than Amazon. It is possible to change the region on your Amazon account.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am not in the EU, the Amazon's Kindle application isn't available in my region. I live in one of those _other_ regions.

10. DrXym

Probably as proprietary as an iPod too

It might run Android but my expectation is the thing will be locked down so it only works with Amazon's app store, Amazon's music store, Amazon's book store and Amazon's video store. Unsigned apps won't be allowed AT ALL. Apps which contravene Amazon's arbitrary rules won't be permitted on the app store.

I am expecting that if Amazon do squeeze users that tight that it won't be long for someone to crack these tablets and install something like CyanagenMod on it. Especially if Ice Cream Sandwich finally turns up in an open source form.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Typo?

Android 2.1? Please tell me this is a typo and it should read "Android 3.1" ...

1. Snowy Silver badge
      Facepalm

I to hope so...

12. Wang N Staines

Rounded corners

Is Apple going to pull another tantrum?

1. John McCallum
      Meh

OHHHH more than likley.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"Jeff Benzos"

I thought the CEO of Amazon was a collection of psychoactive drugs used for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like