back to article HP storage hobbled by board's indecision

The future of HP's vibrant storage business has been made uncertain by HP CEO and board shenanigans, culminating with the latest uncertainty over CEO Leo Apotheker. Before his dismissal, former CEO Mark Hurd relaid the foundations of the storage business by hiring David Donatelli away from EMC, buying iSCSI SAN supplier …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lorddraco

Lots of potential, under delivering ....disappointing

The chaos of the leadership definitely has big impact to the organisation. Competitor easily can take their shaken management, throw more FUDs and undermine customers confidence in HP which over the past few years been shaken badly.

HP seriously need a stronger leadership, not a CEO that just do cost-cutting but a stronger leader to stabilize the organisation, eliminate thick middle layer fats and execute the right thing.

The morale of the staff aint too outstanding... I think could be one of the lowest among the big technology MNC. The prolong of such instability will further damage HP reputation and more lost opportunities... pretty disappointed...

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Philips?

You must be joking! Donatelli would be a better choice for CEO. Or, just to stir the pot, Carly's not too busy at the moment.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Carly's not too busy at the moment.....

Whilst she clearly had her problems I rather suspect that history might demonstrate that Carly didn't do such a bad job for HP. She screwed up big time buying Compaq, but one does have to remember that these people make their decisions based upon the information they are given, and I very much doubt that the HP board of directors sat around the table, listened to what she had to say, and said "okay then" without questiong the decision. Carly got it wrong - and the BoD should have resigned in disgrace.

And it would have been the same for the Apathetic guy that has just received the corporate equivalent of a P45 (but no doubt with a platinum parachute to help him down at the job centre).

The problem is that the current HP BoD has become a victim of its own success in so far that they are moving people into the top job who they believe will support their backsides, rather than put the job out to tender to get the right candidate, which is what should be happening. They aren't looking after the shareholders or employees presently - it's all about making sure their personal gravy train stays on the rails (and I don't think this Meg Whitman decision will do that).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meg Whitman??

Ok . Now the board needs to go. HP needs and innovator / engineer to lead it from the depths. Not another grad of the Harvard Business Schooll who'll just figure out how to sell more ink..

Very sad to see this icon fade to dust..

4. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Again: out of the frying pan, straight into the fire!

So they replaced Apotheker, this disconnected glorified software sales guy with absolutely no fingering clue about hardware and storage and enterprise systems with Whitman, this arrogant ugly bully glorified manager woman with absolutely no fingering clue about hardware and storage and enterprise systems?

Great call, incompetent monkeys...

...wait, this Cade Metz fella wrote "Ray Lane – a partner at Silicon Valley venture firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers – is now executive chairman of the board of directors"...?

Isn't it the same Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, a Silicon Valley venture firm, where Meg Whitman is an, ahem, – "strategic advisor" since last Spring?

Here: http://www.kpcb.com/news/article.php?id=2011_03_29_meg_whitman_strategic_advisor

If so then I really-really-really hope the shareholders SUE THE HELL OUT OF THESE CLOWNS SITTING ON THE BOARD for this absolute incompetent mess, followed by this takeover of their fat cat "advisor".

Donatelli is the man, enough from these MBA-type idiots.

5. Eddie Johnson
    FAIL

Only a Matter of Time

HP has been circling the drain for years. They used to make good quality hardware with fair to poor drivers and software. I saw the decline begin in the 90s when they offshored their calculator division to Singapore, since then they've become an American company in name only. Now they want to abandon the thing they were good at to follow the herd to the "easy money" in services. It used to make me sad but since their last 2-3 generations of printers have been complete crap I say full speed ahead with the collapse.

6. spiny norman

Charles Phillips????

Last time I looked he was CEO of Infor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like