back to article RBS megahack maestro sells flats to pay fine

A high-profile cybercrook who masterminded the $9m RBS Worldpay ATM heist in 2008 has sold two of his St Petersburg flats to pay off his fines. Viktor Pleshchuk received a six-year suspended sentence in September 2010. He avoided prison by agreeing to return his ill-gotten gains, a process he has continued with the sale of two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Mules i affiliated with the gang used the cards n Europe, the US and Asia,i in overnight "cashing out" operations

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess all the scammers will now move to Russia.

If you get caught, you give back the money and start a new scam.

Something else to help maintain Russia's not so "good name"

1. JohnG

"If you get caught, you give back the money and start a new scam."

Maybe not. From the article: "Viktor Pleshchuk received a six-year suspended sentence..."

If he breaks the law now, he gets the original jail term - in a Russian prison.

3. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Coat

Great Idea

"The Russian Criminal Code was recently altered so that economic criminals could avoid jail time by compensating victims for their crime"

Any chance of the UK and Scotland adopting the same code so that senior management of RBS can do the same?

Icon: Government putting their hand in my pocket to bail out the banks

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

The senior management at RBS weren't in when the problems happened, they have all since been replaced. Replaced by a management who slashed charitable giving, slashed pensions and started wholesale shift of jobs to India.

Also, don't forget the regulators that didn't spot that the purchse of ABN Amro shouldn't have gone though.

2. Mike Brown

i know independance is looming, but for the time being writting "the UK" means your including Scotland by default.

4. Velv
    FAIL

Remember this is Russia.

"also sold two cars..."

Ferrari? Rolls Royce?

No, BMW and Lada

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like