back to article Microsoft emits WinPhone seduction pack

Microsoft has provided a selection of guides showing how easy it can be to code for Windows Phone, including API maps and help with porting existing Qt applications. The free tool pack follows similar efforts to seduce iOS and Android developers, though none are as generous as the free handset offer that Microsoft's Brandon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should be an easy learing curve.

Having had a bit of a play with developing on Windows 7 Phone. I wouldn't think it would be difficult for any Qt developers to pick up. On the whole I'd say its much easier, and for those that started on native Symbian its should be trivial.

2. Joe Montana
    FAIL

Stable...

Surely developers need a stable platform that isn't going to suddenly change underneath them and break all of their existing code and force them to learn a whole new system?

That's exactly what MS did when they replace windows mobile 6 with the incompatible version 7, as well as various other products they dropped - such as kin...

And exactly what nokia did by dropping symbian.. I wouldn't trust either of them, why should i make a significant investment of time and resources to learn a platform that might be abandoned by its sole supplier at any time.

1. Manu T

RE: Stable...

Watch out for Google now that they have absorbed Motorola. There's no need to feed the other parties now that they have their own H/W developing inhouse too, isn't there? Not to mention that with every new generation of Android, developers have to wait longer before getting the source. How long before that completely stops?

The way I see it. The only 'stable' smartphone platform is iOS. Unfortunatly you're at the mercy of Apple corp. Selling your program through their app-store is pure gambling due to them changing their rules at random.

Like I said, we're doomed.

1. Mikel
        Pint

Moto gives something interesting

The current phone makers could all drop Android in preference for something else - probably as a secret sunset provision of their patent licensing contract. By buying Moto, Android can't be forced out of the mobile OS market by swaying manufacturers in the same way alternatives to Windows are made unavailable on PCs. And if Android phones are available we'll buy them, which makes it suicidal for other handset makers to drop it.

Now Google needs a carrier, preferably one with service in my area. Then I'll never fear being safely googly again.

3. Manu T

re: that Windows Phone has a rosier future than Symbian

Please stop this anti-Symbian propaganda!

As long as Winphone phone's can't record phone calls I won't buy them. The same for Android, blackberry, bada, Brew OS, Meego and iOS phones.

Not everybody wants numerous screens filled with flat icons with rounded corners or flashy animations with big weather clocks. Some of us NEED real functionality. Call-recording is one of MY NEEDS. Calling quality and reception is another need (preferably without putting a condom over my head or phone). Oh and a proper file manager would be nice too... and while we're at it.

My WIFI network uses a hidden SSID, care to fix that too MICRISOFT!

1. ■↨
      FAIL

Optional

You could use the recaller app on the Nokia N900 (maemo/meego) to automatically record your calls. A little research on your part might go a long way.

4. Mikel
    Holmes

What developers need

First and foremost: Buyers for their products. Good luck finding that in Windows Phone.

5. Herby

Just what I need..

A silly unsupported free phone that has no applications and requires a keyboard just like Steve Ballmer wants.

Look, all I want is a TELEPHONE! One that I can TALK over.

6. Dave 15

iPhone, Android, Windows, Symbian

iPhone has to have about the worst dev environment ever which makes developing apps a serious pain in the backside

Android changes too much to be worth doing much with

Windows has no market share to speak of, though is the simplest of all the dev environments

Symbian was the best OS around just rather smothered by a not especially good UI layer and let down by a bunch of useless marketting idiots who couldn't sell a bottle of water in the middle of a desert. The marketting department should be shot. Carbunkle was not brilliant, still better than Apples offering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like