back to article Windows 8: Half million previews downloaded in 24 hours

Half a million previews of Windows 8 have been downloaded by developers since the software became available on Tuesday, Microsoft has announced. Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer stated that it showed the strong developer interest in Windows 8, the re-imagining of Windows for the brave new world of fondleslabs. Built to re- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it doesn't include NTBackup

Then I'm not migrating from WIndows XP!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

XP doesn't come with NTBackup and NTBackup was dropped from Windows servers at 2008.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err x2

Wasn't XP released a tad before 2008? Admittedly, Vista and onward did lack a backup tool that was backward compatible with the previous NTbackup related tools.

2. Michael Kean
    Happy

Not all developers ...

... in some cases it's bound to be IT people like myself getting a look in to see what we'll be expected to support when it's released onto the public.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yup, if we wait until the public can buy it, we will be behind the curve.

This preview doesn't show us much, but it got me thinking about security already: According to the dialog window, using a Live ID account shares info including passwords and browser history to other PC's that you log into.

Hopefully later Beta and RC releases will be a bit clearer on what info is being shared and how.

3. jake Silver badge

Not here.

Me & mine haven't payed much attention to Microsoft since 2009.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for that...

Thanks for that, Jake...

Could every other commentator on the Reg let us know if they have or haven't downloaded this preview...

I'll start: I've downloaded it, but haven't had enough time to look at it yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: Thanks for that...

"Could every other commentator on the Reg let us know if they have or haven't downloaded this preview..."

I haven't. Also, it's not 1/2 million, it's only 24. My proof? I pulled the numbers out of my ass, just like Ballmey.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I haven't downloaded it...

...because Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon, and I have an Apple.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Mushroom

The Reg! NO!

Come the glorious day anyone caught using the phrase "re-imagining", will be first up against the wall, final cigarette, blindfold, bop, bop, bop!

5. Greg J Preece

Certainly did download it

And the first thing the installer does? Bluescreen. Won't install in a VM, no matter what virtual hardware config I throw up. I'll give it another shot over the weekend, but that's hardly encouraging.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Greg J Preece

Thanks lads

I did have APIC set, but I didn't think to force IDE mode. Not sure why, actually, given the sys file that errored on me. I'll give it a shot.

2. JammieDodger

if you are using VirtualBox...

I had the same problem with trying to get it running in VirtualBox... if you go into system settings for the VM and enable IO APIC, that did the trick for me

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Certainly did download it

Bluescreen you say? What do you expect from MS?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: Re: Certainly did download it @09:52

Get real man: Every OS crashes. Especially Pre-Beta versions running in a VM.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: 11:56

"Get real man: Every OS crashes. Especially Pre-Beta versions running in a VM."

Yes, but they normally get as far as loading the first screen of the first section of the installer... I did get it working in the end, thanks to the help shown here. It runs fine in IDE mode, but SATA crashes it out. Given that the vast majority of the drives these days are SATA, that's still not encouraging.

2. Ilgaz

really?

How hard is it to download a damn popular, free and open source vm which will be very likely the choice of your customers/decision makers and make sure it doesn't BSOD?

Or, heaven forbid, contribute a patch to VM? Or inform downloaders?

Forgot, they act like a 8 year old and those guys have chosen neighbour kids toy, err VM to play with.

I am sure, absolutely sure that they left that bug on purpose, who the heck that admin think he is running macbook air trying win 8 on a VirtualBox?

4. Techs UK
      Happy

works fine on hyper-v and on Toughbook CF-19

sorry you had problems, not encouraging. worked in my case, no problem.

setup is nice for home use, and i like the live id integration

5. confused one
      Boffin

Win8 install in VM

I downloaded the Developer Preview x64 version.

It will not install in VMWare Workstation -- from what I could see it appears to try to use an instruction that either is not implemented or is not properly implemented in the virtual cpu. I admit I may be way off base... VMWare is working on an update.

However, it loads and runs fine in Oracle VirtualBox. It's a bit glitchy, the UI hangs for a few seconds occasionally. I haven't yet determined if this is the fault of VirtualBox or the fact this is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 intended for developers.

6. Jason Togneri
    Alert

Well done, Microsoft

*cough* http://i.imgur.com/vd2WA.jpg *cough*

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1

Make that 500,001

8. hplasm
    Linux

Half-a -million downloads of Win8-

That's what happens when AOL stop sending out free CDs.

You need something to rest your cup on...

1. /dev/me
      Windows

Like a pro

Just drink without spilling, who needs physical media anyway?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From here...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The OS should be able to run thinner, "

That is true for all versions of Windows so far IMHO.

Nice to see Ballmer acknowledge at last that it might be an issue though.

1. Ilgaz

but how thin?

Thing must run Win32 apps, x86 ones. At least one edition should do, absolutely. I can't force a 5M client database owner to code a "stylish" silverlight/net/whatever client as they haven't touched their app since 2004. Why should they? It is java application dating back to 1.4 days and no matter trolls say, it still works fine, even better each java update.

11. JDX Gold badge

@Tarquin

W7 runs just fine on a $300 bargain-basement PC... what more do you want?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Less bloat

I'd like not to have to use up 24Gb of disk for several copies of the operating system, before I install any software. An OS is just that, but so much other "stuff" has been added to the core that it can hardly be called thin.

12. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

Fondleslabs maybe...

But the developer preview is an absolute disaster when using keyboard + mouse.

Oh dear.

1. Greg J Preece

Absolutely!

The transition between the touch interface and the traditional desktop feels both random and jarring. Some apps open in touch, some open in traditional, and there's sod all indication which is which until you click.

And trying to use Metro with a mouse is just painful. You can't hold and drag from what I can tell - manual scrollbars? Are you kidding me? I hope that gets sorted.

At least you can revert it and use the traditional desktop, which feels...well...exactly like Windows 7.

1. Youngdog
        Thumb Up

Had the same gripe with scroll bars (see below)

But cracked it - use the scroll wheel Greg!

And for my next trick I worked out how to recover unpinned tiles - and discovered a previously unknown but extremely useful feature. Ok it might not be unknown to many but I still haven't watched the BUILD videos....

13. fishman

Hackers

I wonder how may downloads were done by hackers so that their "products" will be ready.....

14. Ilgaz

490K downloaded for

I may assume a large percent of downloaders did so they can see what kind of compatibility hell they will live with new Apple wannabe MS.

Good side is, Ballmer will seem to have decreasing health after release, for getting fired purposes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err?

The new Apple wannabe MS?

MS are taking their "grown up" OS to the tablet, Apple leave their "Grown up" OS on the desktop and take their phone os to the tablet.

MS have chosen a completely different UI from Apple, which differs on a fundamental level.

15. Roberto99
    Stop

Take note of recent developments please

"...ARM-based systems expected to form the majority of Windows tablets."

Given the roadmaps put forward by both AMD and Intel, I find it hard to believe that by the end of 2012 such an expectation will be fulfilled. Now that application compatibility is an issue, who will make ARM-based Windows 8 tablets if they have x86-based options? Hard to sell someone on 25% better battery life when their apps won't run...

I think ARM-based tablets will be killed off UNLESS they are much much cheaper.

Note that this is mostly a psychological argument: people associate Windows with backwards compatibility, not novel uses or experiences, even if Windows 8 may very well offer one.

Also, you people really expected to download this and run it from VirtualBox? WOW

1. Tinker Tailor Soldier
      Thumb Up

GPUs on Virtual Machines don't work well

And the entire UI is heavily GPU rendered. Anyone installing this on a VM really doesn't grok the difference between a client and server OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, and I know this is a tech site, but anyone using the term grok unsarcasticaly needs a slap.

As I said - sorry. It's just my age.

2. Paul 129
      Devil

Modi operandi

Who hasn't seen jarring discrepancies between windows versions. Arm support will help get them more penetration into tablets and phones. Once they have the volume they can then force the market. The interesting play is going to be about android, and the licensing they're extorting from manufacturers.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

What's windoze ate ?

I'm looking at this web page on Who-Bun-Too 10.04 , is there some other OS other than Who-Bun-Too ?

If yes, why would anyone want anything else other than Who-Bun-Too ? especially when it's free in so many ways.....

a very confused Lynn Ucks user.

17. CatFunt
    Thumb Up

Optional

Dual booted it on my x64 Win7 machine. Looks very nice so far.

18. Arctic fox
    Windows

I think that I am going to wait until there's a stable beta available..........

...............and then dual-boot it on our home-office rig. In the meantime I noticed a *very* extensive preview of this build on a (non-touch) laptop at Engadget. Very interesting and still very obviously a work in progress.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/windows-8-on-a-laptop-in-depth-preview-video/

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A "fondleballmer"

Is that like a dirty milkshake?

20. CyberCod
    Meh

Honestly

Windows crapware is why I decided to get OUT of the IT field. I just couldn't take it anymore. Watching stupid sheeple underpin such a horrible company.

Thankfully, now I will never have to touch Windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Honestly

Perhaps I should call this Re: Honesty.

@CyberCod: your claim to "decided to get out of IT" is grandstanding.

Your previous post on 18th September at 02:01 states you use Linux, then before that on 10th September at 10:11 you discuss the virtues of Ubuntu, and on the same date and time in a discussion over the recent release of Oneiric Ocelot, you declare that you "do this for a living".

I have no problem with people making genuine comments about the deficiencies of any OS. However, statements that suggest these deficiencies are why they have left the industry when clearly they are very much in the industry seriously undermines the credibility of that comment.

21. Youngdog
    Happy

Have the 64-bit + Dev tools dual booted with Win7 on my Presario

Had to create the Bootable USB on my Win7 64 media PC to get the right bootsect.exe but after that it installed fine.

The Good;

Desktop interface is very snappy and after using Office 2007 for 6 months I found Explorer far more user-friendly than Win7's

Had zero issues with Drivers - all my external devices present and correct and even Audio and Wireless both worked first time!

The Bad;

As pointed out in a previous post the Metro interface isn't much fun with a mouse. Why it just can't scroll when you reach the screen edge is anybody's guess

Control Panel have been completely revamped AGAIN which means learning where everything is from scatch - though to be fair it doesn't seem as deliberately obtuse as Win7

The Fugly

The switching from Desktop to Metro when clicking 'Start' is jarring - as is the inability to actually close programs from the Metro interface. I know this second one is due to the Metro being aimed at mobile devices but after using Windows for 15 years it seems counterintuitive.

Shutting the thing down requires first to log off - there probably is a shortcut or an option somewhere to enable this but I haven't found it yet!

All in all I was quiet impressed. I took an instant dislike to full screen IE but my gut tells me I was being unfair so I won't list that as a thumbs-down - and I am very much looking forward to purchasing a low-end tablet to have a stab at writing some mobile apps!

22. Ilsa Loving

ilsa@ilsadee.com

You know, I was really curious about what this new Windows 8 was going to be like... then The Register had to call it a 'FondleBallmer'.

There are some places that imagination is really should never go.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like