back to article Microsoft previews new Visual Studio, .NET

Microsoft has given MSDN subscribers access to a preview version of Visual Studio 11 and a new version of .NET as well as developer version of its upcoming Windows 8 operating system. The company announced the new developerware on Wednesday at its BUILD conference in Anaheim, California. The Visual Studio preview provides …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gleb
    Trollface

It seems that Async CTP made it to .NET 4.5. I wonder if they'll step C# to 5.0 while the remaining 0.5 of the .NET catches up. And before you scream that numbers aren't important - consider this - Most of .NET is currently at 4.0. That's everything from framework, language versions, to blends, wpfs, silverlights, et al. That's just so neat.

2. E 2

"...highlight a single pixel and instantly find the line of code responsible for it."

GODDAMN!

SIGN ME UP!

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

You're welcome to it. However, for any meaningful definition of "responsible", there typically *isn't* a single line of code responsible for a given pixel, so presumably this feature is for the benefit of those who aren't capable of properly understanding their program and just want to know where to start hacking randomly to solve today's problem (and create tomorrow's).

1. Jimlad
        FAIL

"Trace features are for the lazy"

Simplistic tosh. You're leaping on a simplified description of a feature, and making some pretty ill-informed comments about its purpose.

Features like this are entirely valid and valuable, and don't imply a hacky approach to development - they are primarily diagnostic tools, and key to efficient diagnosis is cutting down your search space.

Modern renderers can be very tricky beasts to work with, with visual glitches potentially the result of megabytes of artist-authored content (i.e. outside the programmer's control), multiple interacting shader programs and engine-level polygon-processing - working back from the output to the culprit buffers and shaders is an absolute godsend.

While you're at it, why not chuck the debugger on the bonfire, because it shouldn't be necessary.

2. E 2

There is this thing called mockery.

I was using it.

I suppose el Reg will have to add an icon for that, to give clue.

3. Iggle Piggle

OS with built in browser

Are we now forgiving Microsoft for shipping IE built into the OS? Not that in my mind there was anything to seek forgiveness for. What we are now seeing is a new generation of OS's where the OS is a browser and yet not so long ago Microsoft were forced to ship with alternates for the sake of competition (curious how Chromium will do this).

Further more they are basing some app development on something called HTML5. Was that made a standard sometime yesterday? Well in a sense yes, because as soon as millions of machines start rendering according to whatever Microsoft decrees HTML5 is then it's going to be tough for everyone else to implement something different and call that HTML5.

I noticed that Silverlight is not shipped with W8 (ooh I've just noticed that if you write it like that you can read it as wait) which is a nuisance as I'm working on a Silverlight app. :-(

1. GavinC

it's beginning to look more and more like the end of silverlight. I believe Win8 will ship with two versions of IE, one for "desktop mode" and one for Metro - with Metro being the preferred operating mode. The Metro version of IE will not support plugins, therefore either silverlight will be built in as standard, or silverlight is dead.

I suspect it may be the latter...

HTML5 is the future, whether you like it or not...

2. E 2

It was about monopoly

EU slammed MS for IE in Windows because MS effectively has a monopoly in the desktop OS market.

If Chromium ever has the same problem, well, at least it will have rid the world of Windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like