back to article Kogan sparks new controversy

In a move that’s certain to spark hot debate, serial controversialist and electronics retailer Kogan has announced that customers can buy kit from Apple, Nikon, Canon and Samsung from its site. As the company coyly describes its new offerings, it is sourcing the brand-name kit “higher up in the supply chain, and selling direct …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris_Oz

Kogan sparks discussion about unfair prices for imported products

Most Australian distribution channels of imported goods are controlled by corporates abroad.

Many products are overpriced and Australians ripped off. Many switch gear products for example are here sold for double the European list price. In these cases it is not the Australian retailer who makes the big profit - it is the foreign exporting firm. A Siemens ex manager told me some time ago: "If Australians are that stupid to pay double European list prices then why not sell the products for that price?" That is slowly changing. Australians get less stupid.

I think it is great if Kogan is starting the discussion and undercuts the crazy and unfair price schemes. Australian retailers should analyse their deals and negotiate with their suppliers abroad for better deals.

No wonder Australians are buying on the internet: They don't do it to avoid GST - they do it to get a fair deal! I am happy to pay half the price + GST.

Books are a real luxury in Australia compared to Europe. It is just ridiculous if you remove a $35 price tag, finding a 13 pound UK price tag underneath. That's why we buy at Amazon and not at the store. There is no will to give Australians a fair deal - it is preferred to let book shop chains die as it recently happened.

Solar panel prices dropped 27% over the last year world wide - but not in Australia.

Australia is milked like a cow which had better feed during the financial crisis.

2. Chris_Oz
    Happy

Kogan sparks new controversy

The translation of the article missed one German word in the following sentence:

Australia's Trade Practices Act makes it clear that “exclusive dealing” is verboten....

"verboten" is German and means "forbidden"

:-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's intentional.

Many languages pinch words from each other and rather than changing then, use them as-is. Verboten is just one. It's a bit less popular then the many French words like cul-de-sac, a la carte, idiot savant etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_words_and_phrases_used_by_English_speakers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_words_and_phrases_used_by_English_speakers

3. Tim Bates

Thankfully...

Australia's import laws are more sensible than most of the rest of our laws. I'm sure the current government will put a stop to all this as soon as some larger retailers and brand names start jumpig up and down in Julia's ear though.

What I think is funny is how much Kogan just seems to want to push Gerry Harvey into steaming fits of rage :P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like