back to article CPU cycles for stars: theSkyNet wants your sandbox

The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research is the latest to borrow the name of the Terminator antagonist with theSkyNet, a project to crowd-source spare CPU cycles to process astronomy data. It uses Nereus software from UK company eMedia Track to farm out the processing to a local user’s Java sandbox. The data will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ben edwards

Seti@home

How will this be truly different than seti@home? A rose by any other name..

1. bikerboi87

Not sure but

I'd say that they're looking through similar data but for completely different things

2. Owen
    FAIL

2 prizes

"And yes, there are prizes on offer: a trip to the Murchison Radioastronomy Observatory in Western Australia."

First prize: A week's stay at the Murchison Radioastronomy Observatory, Western Australia.

Second prize: A two week stay at the Murchison Radioastronomy Observatory, Western Australia.

3. Notas Badoff
    Devil

Buddy, can you spare some cycles?

For computations in Java? Java vs. C/C++?!? Java?

Naught for you if you're just gonna waste it on more drugging...

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Headmaster

it all depends

The worst performance drag for Java programs is GC ; well written programs can avoid it thus achieving quite good performance. For example look for "lmax distruptor", it puts to shame many "high performance" C++ programs. Admittedly, there are even fewer Java programmers who know how to do this stuff than competent C++ programmers. I for one much prefer C++, it's just so much simpler to write predictably performing code (once you know how to write it well, in the first place).

4. Dave 62
    Terminator

this is optional!!

I'm confused.. where are the ROTM jokes?

1. Simon Harris
      Happy

as they say on Blue Peter...

Here's one I made earlier...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1171303

5. Lockwood

inb4anyoneelsedoesanxkcdlink

http://xkcd.com/534/

Am I thinking along the wroing lines here?

6. SpeakerToAliens
    FAIL

It wont work for me!

I downloaded the app and as part of its install the latest version of Java (v6.??) was downloaded. Then the app refused to run as I didn't have at Java v1.6 installed! WTF?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like