back to article Murdoch to reappear before MPs in phone-hack case

MPs are expected to grill James Murdoch for a second time, but no date has been set by the media, culture and sports committee yet. The News International chairman, son of News Corp mogul Rupert Murdoch, will be asked in to Parliament again only after the MPs Tom Watson, Louise Mensch and their committee colleagues have heard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Why before MPs?

Shouldn't he appear before a court of law?

I am ignorant in such matters, but it seems to me that if he was aware of and thus complicit in these phone hacking allegations he should answer to the law and not a group of people who have used NI in the past to push their own agendas.

1. Microphage

Shouldn't he appear before a court of law?

adnim: "Shouldn't he appear before a court of law?"

Not ever, because because the police who would be doing the investigation are most probably implicated and if anyone really goes after the Murdochs, the Murdochs will post nasty things about them in the newspapers. I wonder will the Committee be exercising their powers and this time be taking evidence under oath. Oh, look such evidence can't be used in Court.

"Witnesses to select committees enjoy absolute privilege in respect of the evidence they

give .. In practical terms this means that select committee witnesses are immune from civil or criminal proceedings founded upon that evidence"

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/have-your-say/take-part-in-committee-inquiries/witness/

2. Annihilator
    Meh

Burdon of proof

"Separately, it has been reported by the Guardian that the mother of 7/7 bombing victim Christian Small is to pursue a civil case against NI over alleged voicemail interception"

I've wondered this for a few weeks now, but while it's quite probable that phone hacking is rife, how on earth do people prove it?

Though let's face it, it's barely "hacking" - the mobile operators should surely be taking some stick for enabling a feature with a default password in the knowledge most people will never even know the facility exists, let alone change the pin. Have said this before, but I recall when first getting a mobile, the remote voicemail facility was disabled *unless* you enabled is and changed the pin.

3. smit
    Coffee/keyboard

POOR MURDOCH

Looks like he just can't 'hack' it anymore.

4. MJI Silver badge
    Flame

Grilling

Reminds me I need more gas for my barbeque

5. Will 28

What a waste of time

I'll write out the summary of the "grilling" in advance.

MP: Did you lie to us before?

JM: No.

MP: These other people say you did.

JM: Well I didn't.

MP: Okay, that pretty much cuts off all my questions then.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

Bad times for Junior?

I doubt it.

if nothing else he can just stay in the US with dad and the rest of the family.

However something tells me Rupe won't leave blighty without a hell of struggle.

1. Microphage

re: Bad times for Junior?

`News Corp. Shareholders bring fresh charges against Directors': "The revelations surrounding News Corp.'s corporate governance lapses get worse with each new disclosure ..

In fact, our new complaint shows that the illicit phone hacking and subsequent cover-ups at News of the World were part of a much broader, historic pattern of corruption at News Corp., under the acquiescence of a board that was fully aware of the wrongdoing, if not directly complicit in the actions."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/news-corp-shareholders-bring-fresh-charges-against-companys-senior-management-and-board-of-directors-2011-09-13

7. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Coat

Smart move

Steal the contents of your voice mailbox and spread it all over the newspapers ruining peoples lives and you get a slap on the wrist. But steal the phone and the old beak sends you down for a few months.

Oh wait - he's Rich isn't he? Sorry - nothing to see here, move along please.

8. Nights_are_Long
    WTF?

@ Annihilator, It's the press if it involves anything with a circuit board and unauthorised access it's "hacking" and sadly that's what the word has come to mean.

While this is a big story for a million and one reasons I also happen to think that the mobile operators should also have a eye cast upon them by the general media for lax security practices, the feature should be disabled by default and only be enabled if directly requested by the customer in question.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

And then.....

....nothing happened.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

@Microphage

"At trial, NAM's CEO was reported to have told a rival executive, "If you ever get into any of our businesses, I will destroy you...I work for a man who wants it all, and doesn't understand anybody telling him he can't have it all,""

That sounds like Rupe alright.

I suspect Junior is a chip off the old block.

This topic is closed for new posts.