back to article HP shelves plans to offshore DWP support roles

HP has abandoned plans to offshore the jobs of IT support staff working on the Adams 2 contract for the Department of Work and Pensions. The saga began in June when HP first revealed it was in talks to transfer some 200 roles based in north-east England to India to help it match the Government's demand to cut costs. The move …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Forked tongues

"We have always been clear that we will not offshore any DWP jobs, and we are exploring how future offshoring can be minimised,"

If he meant what he said at the beginning of the sentence then there would be no need to '...minimise...'.

1. Miss Lincolnshire
      Childcatcher

Weasel Words

Only because the HP jobs aren't technically DWP jobs anymore.

DWP IT jobs ---------> Privatised HP jobs ---------> Indian Jobs = No Offshored DWP Jobs.

Politicians are Weasels

2. Bluenose
    Thumb Down

Security Concerns

"and latterly local MPs, who highlighted the security implications of overseas workers managing a live database on 25 million citizens."

How could they be worse than having someone send out 2 unencrypted cds containing the names and addresses, etc of the people on the system who got child benefit!!

3. Colin Millar
    Flame

MPs and braincells is like matter/anti-matter - the two cannot co-exist within the same body

How about the total lunacy of paying people in working in another country money to administer a system for paying people in the UK bennies cos they can't get work. You have to have no rational thinking capability whatsoever to even think that is not mad.

And oh yeah - while I'm ranting how about those banks eh - 2019 before they have to "reform" but everyone else has to be made redundant, pay more VAT, lose their pension right now and not a moment later.

If MPs were any further removed from humanity they would have to leave the planet.

Now - how much payload is available on the next Reg space project and can it be fired directly at the sun?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

I was made redundant by RBS because my job was sent to India, with the full blessing of the government.

Also you can't just reform something as complex as a multinational financial company overnight, I had heard earlier than 2019 though, I though they were going to get about four or five years.

4. Anon the mouse
    WTF?

What do you mean it's optional... why back in my day......

"We have always been clear that we will not offshore any DWP jobs,"

But anything not DWP will disappear abroad before the next public outcry

5. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

I feel sorry for ...

... the likes of HP, Fujitsu, ... and any other well-established companies with good brand awareness out there.

This TUPE stuff from UK civil servant (government employee) to HP, Fujitsu, ... employee really does more harm to the recipient company

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Economics

So HP bid for the DWP work thinking they could offshore it. Now they can't, their profit has gone. How long before there are complaints of bad service from DWP and of HP "trying to gouge them for profit".

DWP should have made "not offshoring" a clear requirement in their invitation to tender. Now they just look like a bad customer.

7. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

I feel sorry for Part 2

The trouble or rather one of the troubles with TUPE from gobmint employee to respected -brand employee means that a tranche of employees in the recipient organisation tend to have rights and privileges over and above those already employed under a more direct route?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like