back to article Miranda Kerr suffers digital deletion

Australia’s domain name authority auDA has shut down and deleted the domain mirandakerr.com.au in a public stand against cybersquatting. The domain bearing the name of the supermodel recently attracted media attention as its former owner domain speculator James Wester suggested that it could be worth up to $200,000 on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Youngone Silver badge

Supermodel?

Not sure of the definition any more. I've never heard of her.

2. jake Silver badge

Who the hell is Miranda Kerr?

Never mind. Probably YetAnother[tm] flash-in-the-pan, burn out in a hurry, only important to the non-adult set ... except the adults exploiting her, of course. Regardless, somewhere outside my demographic, no doubt. Just input for ElReg ...

(Damn cats ... one trod on the keybr0ad before I was ready to post, if any of the mods caught that :-)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Flash in a pan - hardly

She's around 30, been a model for over half her life and been Australia's best known model for maybe half that. The thing is - she's a professional - she doesn't do phone slinging tantrums or coke-fueled binges which is probably why you've never heard of her. And why El Reg will never name a special project after her. At least I hope not.

1. jake Silver badge

Not a title, a subject.

t'Wife, reading over my shoulder, says "underwear model, newager, forgettable".

::shrugs:: As I said, outside my demographic.

3. Purlieu

Pathetic

Surely it is the responsibility of these "well-known people and brands" to register their names/brands as domains if they want to. Several years later, realising that somebody else has and then bitching about it is an abuse of power/position. It's not like they are short of money.

Downvoters please explain yourselves.

1. Beritknight
      FAIL

Not the way it works

Sorry, but that's not the way it works for .au. You can't register domains on a whim like you can with .com, you've got to show a direct relationship between your brand or one of your products to register that .com.au.

http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2004-01/

auDA cancelled the domain when it became apparent that the guy who registered it didn't have that direct relationship and had therefore lied on his application. What they did was totally in line with their published policies.

This topic is closed for new posts.