back to article Cello C42T71DVB-3D 42in passive 3D TV

Cello is a UK TV maker that does much of its business through high-volume websites and shopping catalogues. You’ll find Cello TVs on M&S and ebuyer websites, as well as in tomes from Grattan, Freemans and the like. Cello C42T71DVB-3D Ensemble piece: Cello's C42T71DVB-3D It may be a budget brand, but it scored brownie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator

"Budget"

Does anyone go for budget brands any more? Not sure about anyone else but I'd sooner take those 600 notes down to Richer Sounds and get a last season model of a premium brand.

2. Kuad

CCFL

Dismiss CCFL all you like, it gives a more consistent image than edge-lit LEDs. Only the local dimming sort are truly better.

1. Andy Moreton
      Thumb Up

Yep, and CCFL usually gives a wider colour gamut than white LED backlights.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, great, but how does the passive 3D look? This review must rate as one of the worst ever!

1. Cunningly Linguistic
      Facepalm

"The LG panel delivers effective 3D from Blu-ray, although there are caveats. Double imaging is low, as long as you view it square on. The 3D sweet spot is very narrow. As with all passive sets seen to date, deviate off-axis vertically and rampant double imaging quickly kicks in. Side-by-side 3D looks very poor though, with overt ghosting. Four pairs of glasses are included in the box."

Low concentration when it comes to reading?

2. jai
      Facepalm

Page: ← Prev 1 2 3 Next →

Try reading beyond the first page of the review?

This comment must rate as one of the worst ever!

1. YARR
        Thumb Down

Who needs pages?

On this subject, why do articles have to be divided across pages? Are readers considered incapable of scrolling through a long page or are the Reg trying to get more page impressions and ads served? If it's the latter, why not show more ads in proportion to the length of the page?

4. Michael Kean
    Happy

Tuners going out of fashion?

Hmm :)

As more TV content is delivered via the Internet these days, perhaps the lack of HD tuner was a cost-saving measure to help this set into the Internet Pirate market.

Intriguing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dear Cello....Wakey wakey.

I'd rather have a UK based manufacturer concentrate on a quality HD TV and on their spelling than some old technology tat dressed up to look like something it clearly isnt...

No wonder our exports are so low and the japanese based imports are so high.

Sadly (and dissapointingly) a turd with a shiny coat is still a turd.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why?

Why do they make this? Who would buy one at that price (taking the rock bottom 475 GBP online quote as a basis)? For 500 GBP I found a 50 inch LG PV350 plasma, the same set as last year's PK350, which AV Forums rates as near reference picture quality. Sure it doesn't have a 3D option that gives you a migraine if you sit even 10cm off-axis, but it's substantially better in every way imagineable (incl. slim & thin framed).

1. stu 4
      Thumb Up

agreed

I'm writing this on a PK350 - great set and a bargain price.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Contrast

Any contrast issues are LCD related. Nothing to do with type of back light.

If you don't mind the depth, only expensive RGB led true back light (not "white" LED edge lit) is maybe better than CCFL or CFL.

It's too expensive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Optional

My company is using a hot-s*** 55" Sony in a prototype 3d implementation for our motion driving simulators. (Before it comes up from any brand-partisans out there, there were a huge number of unusual and non-PQ-related factors involved in the decision...)

At any rate, it has the aforementioned LED backlighting, with the ability to dim / brighten different areas. While I'm not watching movies on it, for obvious reasons, I've been favorably impressed. And the 3D, at least for my purposes, has been fantastic. The glasses' transmission level is much better than I've seen elsewhere, and the 3D is ghost free except under high separation levels or with extreme contrast blocks, and then at the blazing-bright settings.

So, for simulation, 3D is knock-it-out-of-the-park brilliance when set up well.

As a guy with a dedicated, CRT-projector equipped home theater, though, I retain significant skepticism for 3D's use there. That said, people probably said that about sound and color....

In conclusion: Yeah.

8. StrictlySocial
    FAIL

Fugly

I really don't understand how some companies make TVs look so ugly. Calm it down on the logo. Nobody wants a huge 'Cello', aka, 'I bought a cheap and nasty tv' logo stuck on the front.

9. Timbo
    Facepalm

typo?

I quote from the article:

The very first dialogue window cautions the user: ‘Please ensure the aerial cable is pluggeg into the tv.’ Pluggeg? Any thoughts I had that this TV has been had been built by erudite British boffins quickly vanished.

What's this "has been had been" bit about then.....??

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It's the price you pay for "British" manufacturing. We all should know by now that anything made in Britain is never as good as a Chinese made equivalent, and is always at least double the price of said Chinese equivalent also.

And they wonder British manufacturing is down. Good example right here. Anyone who buys this is an absolute fool (and has probably got money to burn).

1. stu 4
      Childcatcher

kiddy fingers

If only we'd get the thick kids out of the school system at 7 or 8 years old, I'm sure we could rival china in manufacturing - they're nimble little fingers are ideal for putting together intricate circuitry.

We used the lead the world in child labour, what with the mills and the chimney sweeps.... another sad case of British decline.

obvious icon selected - check.

11. Michael Ross

UK Maker?

So how much of this set is actually "UK Made"? We know the panel isn't because that's from LG and you can bet the digital board and the inverter are bought-in items. And every pair of polarising 'specs I've ever seen came from China. So what does that leave? The case?

1. Annihilator
      Boffin

re: UK Maker?

"So what does that leave? The case?"

The shed. A vital component in any bit of kit.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cello??

Is it just me who heard this brand name for the first time? That TV looks real crappy. If I were you, I would just buy a TV from original inventor of technology, LG. There are high chance that you would lose all your money just to save up some money. I mean what if your TV breaks down in few month but it is never fixable? like a Vizio set. I wouldn't take the risk since LG TVs are quite affordable and their brand is reliable.

This topic is closed for new posts.