back to article HP PC boss: I'm so loving being spun off

HP's public statement that it will explore alternatives for its PC business has sent "ripples" across the entire organisation, according to a senior exec. Todd Bradley, global chief of the Personal Systems Group, is on a tour of duty in the US to convince resellers, disties and customers that a spin-off is the best and " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shot themselves...

...in the foot. Mad. They will not be even able to sell it as a going concern if this uncertainty carries on much longer and competitors pile in. Having said that, as a satisfied Dell user I am not too bothered except for the fact that having a strong HP in the market will help keep Dell and others sharply focused!

2. bolts25

I guess the only option is to try to clean up the mess left by HP's CEO.

What a combination of idiots.

How is it that you can be the largest desktop vendor in the world and you can't make any money out of it? And why would a spin-off make any difference when you still have these duffers in charge.

A spin off is just the management saying "I give up" and then they distract the shareholders for a few years while they prepare their golden parachutes. Shareholders need to insist the management makes the PSG business successful.

If they can't make money out of the business get some new management.

Figure it out. It can't be that hard.

3. Aaron Em

"the ultra-thin notebook is going to get some real legs to it"

Won't be ultra-thin then, will it?

...don't mind me, I started early today.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Remember that...

ultrabook = netbook + $$$$ + "It's so thin and shiny!"

That's why they really like the idea. Of course, the vendors will still force Windows on the punter. :-(

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Mushroom

Door is open, horse has bolted

Why is it that these highly-paid suits imagine that their words can change the face of reality ? Do they really believe that their obscene salary impresses anyone but their mistresses ?

HP is spinning off its PC division, period. As soon as you've said that, you've introduced uncertainty and a space for competitors to wriggle in to. Denying that by spewing words is not only useless but entirely moronic. It would have been better to say something to the effect of "HP is creating and independantly-managed division for its PC branch, which HP is committed to supporting for the next 10 years".

That would have allowed the spin-off and reassured existing customers, thus shutting off a great amount of the margin they created for their competition.

But what do I know ? I've never been to those fancy management schools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HP wants to emulate IBM so badly that I suspect that they saw how IBM offloaded all the ThinkPad stuff to Lenovo and thought that they could pull it off too. Well, I guess they can't.

5. Nights_are_Long

I think if they did this right they could pull it off, good quality components with decent software would sell to business.

A prime example of this is when a company puts out new computers an buys a Win 7 key per machine but still uses XP for the OS, it costs them serious money, if they sold them OS free they would get a nice number of business customers and also if they offered a windows alternative they would get lots and lots of lovely PR from open source new sites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft contracts

Don't allow shipping of a PC without one of their licenses

1. kiwimuso
        WTF?

WTF!!

If I build a pc and sell it, what in hell does it have to do with any other company what I do or don't install on it!!!

Seriously!

6. k9gardner

HP simply lost its way

To compare HP's proposed sell-off with IBM's to Lenovo isn't quite valid, because when IBM announced it, it announced the Lenovo deal. For HP to talk about simply spinning it off, with no one standing next to them on the dais, throws the whole thing into disarray.

Anyway, I had already sworn off buying HP PC products, as I found their desperate scramble to move boxes left quite a bit to be desired in terms of quality. As it stands now, for HP to be betting its future on becoming an SAP-like business software vendor – which I thought was a dinosaur idea 12 or 13 years ago, when I first became involved with SAP – is just so far out of this world, its hard to comprehend.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like