back to article Foxconn churns out '150,000' iPhone 5s a day

The word out of Taiwan is that the iPhone 5 is now being churned out of Foxconn Electronics sweatshops factories at a rate of 150,000 per day, and that five to six million of the li'l fellows will be shipped by the end of September. Not a bad run-rate for a product that has yet even to be announced by Apple – although the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Rob Shoesmith...

... can you get me one too?

Cheque is in the post.

K, thanks.

See, I resisted the urge to say "get a life"

Oh wait...

2. DEAD4EVER
    Thumb Down

iphone 5

sorry wont be buying one next please

1. Annihilator
      Thumb Down

@dead4ever

Good for you. I look forward to your comments in all the other news stories about other products and whether you'll be buying one or not.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple's cunning Plan

To get 5,000,000 inside the US before the ITC slaps an import ban on them.

I suppose we should call it 'Doing a Samsung'.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

22 Million? Yes but...

...how many are destined for Fanbois and how many to those who just want to look trendy?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WOW!

An iphone5 story with some content!

It can't be...

But yes, yes there is... I have learnt something new!

There's a guy called Rob Shoesmith in London who has learnt how to milk PR with stupid stunts! I wonder where he got that idea?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh, anyone still care

After antennagate and the iPhone track every movements and send it back to Apple scandals, surely nobody would be stupid enough to buy overpriced fashion accessories like iPhones anymore when there are better and cheaper alternatives out there?

1. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Wishful thinking. In fact i'll put money on it that there are people 'stupid' enough to buy millions of these - probably 22 million in fact in the next quarter.

Get your head out of the technical press and go walk around the streets and you'll see loads of 'stupid' people. Certainly on my packed commute it's an extreme novelty to see someone without and iPhone 4. I don't see then moaning to their comrades about the antenna or tracking......

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh, anyone still care

Why, you do.

Sure, after the "scandals" nobody will buy iPhones. After ME and Vista nobody ever bought Microsoft products. After Sony's DRM fiasco they just closed the company because nobody cared for their products anymore. Rant on.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lack of facts

The iPhone never sent data back to Apple, it merely stored it unencrypted on the device. You must be thinking of Android (the ultimate war driving device) and WinPhone6.x, both of which did.

You need to turn your hatred of Apple down a notch and try and keep to the facts.

As for the aerial issues. I know 10 people with iPhone 4s, none of whom report this issue. % of them have managed to break the glass face of them though! A bigger problem IMHO

Dweeb

1. Paul M 1

Title

Tracking is a non-issue since the police just get the info direct from the telcos anyway without a middleman.

But regarding aerial issues ... as happy(-ish) as I am with my iPhone 4, I don't get as strong or reliable a signal as my wife's Nokia 5800 does in the same location.

Annecdotal of course but, to use the vernacular, just sayin'.

7. Stubar
    FAIL

********* Expletives removed!

Keep the brew bubbling with a little stir just to get the noxious odour of rotten apples in the air. Meh!

I loved my iPhone 3g but then fell behind with the payments. Not to my phone provider but to Apple. You see I didn’t upgrade to a 3gs, or a 4 and so each little update that comes out each month makes me and my phone just a bit more obsolete (and slow!) Every application takes an age to open and when I went into the Covent Garden Apple store their first question was “is it updated?” When I said yes, that was the problem he just looked at me with pity whilst pushing an iPad towards me. Bastard.

No, contract is up in December and I’m going Galaxy S2 and Apple can rot.

PS - What a twat. How many things can he advertise hoping to get more free things? Pah!

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

A phone that is over 3 years old runs slow? gimme a break.

2. digstar
      WTF?

**********Tried to add them back in but failed

Huh ? Phones 3 years old, and it's getting a bit slow ? Wind up surely :) My Viewty from the same time is TRUELY a piece of junk compared to my iphone 4 now. Least they updated your iPhone. LG, I am talking to you.....never again......

3. cloudgazer

Hahahahahaha

So your problem is that the 3G has insufficient support from Apple? Hahahahahahahahahaha

You realize that people buy brand spanking new Android phones frequently don't get the latest version of the OS, and indeed frequently can't ever upgrade to the latest version without rooting the device and voiding the warranty?

Complain about the fragility of the iPhone-4, or the price, or the lack of an SD card or any number of things and you may have a point - but in terms of after sales OS support Apple is without question ahead of the Android pack.

4. Jean-Luc
      Boffin

@Expletives removed

I was wondering about the 3G viability in iOS 4+. I had a refurbished 3G until last year, but it finally gave up the ghost after I cracked the screen*. So I got an iPhone 4, but I had held my 3G to iOS 3.x up to that point.

Having shelled out $300 for a no-contract/no-subsidy crap Nokia 3600, not even on S60 3 yrs ago, I can kinda see the extra value a $675 no-contract/no-subsidy iPhone 4 has**. The Nokia salesperson had the gall to answer my questions about missing features on the 66xx with "what do you expect? it's not expensive". Yeah, right.

However, I can only really see that level of spending if I keep a phone 3+ years. Plus, I don't like putting electronics in landfill. So what worries me is iOS running ahead of older models, esp as the iOS 4x. was being forced on 3G. I don't mind missing out on new features, including apps that don't work with older OS versions, but I resent being forced to upgrade.

My other big concern is battery life. Apple is really, really, getting on my nerves with their non-replaceable batteries.

So, how do other users feel about smartphone longevity? In iPhone and Android land.

* FWIW, I dropped my iPhone 4 last weekend doing 50km/h cycling downhill. No protective cover, because it did not work with the headphones I was wearing***. Screen is nuked. Phone works fine - I am taking it in for repair today.

**(My decision, for those who like to criticize how others spend their money).

*** Yes, I was stupid. Wasn't wearing a helmet either, same reason.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Almost catching up with the number of posts per day about the blessed phone

Only '150,000', seriously there are more articles about the iPhone5 per day. Almost catching up with the number of posts per day about the blessed phone thats famous for everything apart from the phone part!

9. zxcvbnm

No queue yet

Rob Shoesmith say's he is not going to start camping out until the phone is announced in a key note. He "can't imagine" how people got the idea he was already there.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jebus-phone

schmebus-phone

11. Spanners Silver badge
    Holmes

That must be nearly a quarter

A couple of months ago, I heard that there were 550,000 new Androids being registered a day (not counting re-registering of reset older ones). What is the figure now?

I suppose, if we discount the older or less powerful ones that are not a fair comparison with an iPhone, it might be better - somewhere between a third and a half of the number of new Androids.

I suspect that Android users tend to wait until the end of the contract before replacing. iPhone users I have talked to pay extra to get the newest toy when it comes out.

Why do we pay so much attention to this overpriced fashion accessory? I thought this was a technology blog.

1. UkForest
      Stop

RE: That must be nearly a quarter

"Why do we pay so much attention to this overpriced fashion accessory?" Because, whether we like it or not, it's an incredibly popular piece of technology.

Sheeple don't always go with the best tech do they?! VHS vs Betamax - PS3/Xbox vs Wii etc. etc.

2. cloudgazer

what is it now?

It's still about 550k per day according to Schmidt at the Salesforce.com conference where he was interviewed last week. Compared with around 380k per day iOS activations last quarter, I'd say that Apple is still significant enough to be covered by El Reg.

12. James Woods

It's amazing how productive you can be with slave labor.

1. Dana W
      FAIL

EVERYTHING is made with Chinese slave labor. These days you make it in China or you don't make it at all. At least not in a quantity and price that has a chance of competing on the market,

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough for every sheep in New Zealand ?

Well maybe not in New Zealand, but certainly enough for all the sheep in North America.

14. Dana W
    Stop

enough

Yes I want one, yes my contract expired months ago, yes I'm ready for a new phone, but ENOUGH already!

How much more of this do we have to listen to?

If I didn't like my iPhone as much as I did, this incessant rumor mongering would put me off it altogether. I'm loath to read the Register now for fear of more redundant iPhone 5 news.

15. Eddy Ito

We're sorry Mr. Shoesmith

If you wanted to be first you were supposed to queue in a bar called Cava22.

You would have thought these yuberfanfanbois would know the simple things.

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Is a title really optional?

wow

17. JDX Gold badge

@Spanners

Because the iPhone is the most popular piece of consumer technology in the world... therefore it's news. Regardless if we like the product or the company, it's technology news.

18. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Joke

I DON'T CARE!

I DON'T CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THE IPHONE 5 THAT I MUST TELL EVERYONE HOW LITTLE I DON'T CARE! I MUST SHOUT IT SO LOUD THAT EVEN APPLE WILL HEAR ME ROAR ABOUT THE FACT THAT I DON'T CARE! DID I SAY I DON'T CARE? DID YOU HEAR ME AT THE BACK? I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Upvote for the joke...

... but I've noticed something er, funny, about the ongoing iPhone fanbois/haters wars.

I've read several messages with the gist of "apple buyers are idiots and I would never ever ever buy one even if it is cheap or free with plan blahblahblah why don't sheeple obey me instead of Steve Jobs wahwahwah", but I am yet to see an equally eloquent message about buying it at whatever cost no matter what... guess the haters forgot to take their medication.

19. Lallabalalla
    Pint

22 million?

so plentiful - you'd think they'd be cheaper.

20. Turtle_Fan

Can someone enlighten me?

OK, I get it, Apple's gizmos are all the rage etc. etc.

BUT: There was a time when having an iPhone could mean some sort of exclusivity, a sense of belonging to a club of select few, the in crowd, yada yada yada.

Right now, at the numbers this thing is selling is more like queuing up for a Volkswagen rather than brandishing a bespoke, customized, limited edition Aston Martin. So what gives?

iPhone now, is as mass market box as it gets. Hell, Volkswagen (occasionally) even gives you a choice of colours....

1. D@v3

it's almost a shame, but, the more people who have them, the more useful they are

When you know that all/most of your friends have the same phone as you, and access to the same apps, that work in the same way, you can get more out of an iPhone, than say someone who has a 3gs surrounded by people with Androids.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure you know what you are talking about

but nobody else does

Sssshhhhhh

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Pint

Well...

It's a mobile phone and no matter who made it, it's not a life-style choice, it's a gadget to communicate with other people.

I'll assume, to be polite that you forgot the joke icon when you posted, as this cannot be serious stuff. No one can be that insecure, surely?

21. leeph
    FAIL

Errr...

Shouldn't it be 'Cupertinoan' rather than 'Cupertinian' ?

Anyway, I bloody hate Apple and their ridiculously crap products. And everyone who uses one. I spit on you.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Supply and demand!

"so plentiful - you'd think they'd be cheaper."

It's called supply and demand - when you can sell every one you make there is not much incentive to drop the price (quite the opposite).

I really don't know why so many people hate Apple - if you don't want their products DON'T BUY THEM but the fact is lots of people do want their products. The problem is these forums end up the ranting place of a vocal minority of people who probably all work for Samsunk (sorry Samsung but I could not resist leaving that typo in).

1. James Hughes 1

I agree, I'm no Apple fan, and haven't bought one, but the amount of hatred about the product itself is a bit much. From what I have seen of it, it's rather good. I'm sure there are other phones as good out there too.

I'm more of a 'don't like the way Apple do business' person, rather than a inveterate hater of the product itself.

I have worked for Samsung, and Nokia btw. My Samsung phone is crap, but impressed by the latest Nokia's.

23. leeph
    Megaphone

@Anonymous Coward - If I hate Apple I'm blatantly not going to buy their products - thanks for your sage advice there.

What I dislike about Apple is the fact that their products are so 'mickey mouse' - but not content with providing functionally deficient devices, they proceed to charge the earth for it. I suppose the fact that so many people are prepared to buy these things (when HTC are producing far more functional products for much lower prices) underlies the fact that there are so many stupid people about.

And I hate stupid people. Don't you? They get in the way and cost us money.

I hate stupid people, ergo I hate Apple.

There's your answer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

I hate stupid people that are incapable of using a fucking button marked "Reply to this post".

2. Robert Synnott

HTC's much lower prices...

I'm confused; HTC's high-end devices are usually about the same price as the iPhone de Jour; on contract, some of them, notably the Thunderbolt in the US, are actually more expensive. HTC, of course, competes in the low-end market, too; they still make some ARMv6 devices, even! Apple doesn't touch this.

24. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Monoculture is bad.

25. introiboad
    Happy

Religion wars

Aren't they getting old?

Clearly many people like iPhones and MacBook Airs. Give us a break! Damn it I love UNIX, Linux and good technology in general, and I have an iPhone 4. I run Linux on some computers at home, Mac OS X on others and love the fact that I can open bash on both and type most of the same commands. They are not toys, they are not for stupid people, they are just devices that work, and work pretty well if you ask me.

I have absolutely nothing agains Android. Nothing. Zero. I had a Nexus One and used it for a few months until I unfortunately lost it on a drinking binge, but I _personally_ (that means me, not everybody else) prefer the iPhone user interface. I program in low-level embedded C and assembly during the day and still use an iPhone because when I use a phone I do not want to open a shell and start churning out code, for that I have computers at home.

I can't believe all the Apple bashing after all they've contributed to open source (WebKit, LLVM) and after the fact that they have taken a UNIX based operating system and made popular to the masses. Would you rather have Microsoft and their crufty, 20-year old APIs rule the mobile world too?

We cannot have it all, what we have is not so bad after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Excellent argument, fair and levelheaded -- but I am afraid that Apple-bashing is the cool, new hip religion for some, who will continue saying that "people are stupid because I say so".

2. Alien8n
      Alien

I know what you mean. Working in IT people get surprised that I'm not rabidly pro/anti MS/Linux. I remember the IT manager at a previous place was so rabidly pro MS that he actually had a visible look of hatred on his face if you ever mentioned the fact that we had a single Linux machine at one of the sites that couldn't be disposed of as it ran the site's entire document management system. I personally started as an engineer, so I don't care about the OS or the manufacturer, my concern is usability and cost of ownership. Personally I now have an iPhone4. Reason? My old Sony Ericsson has a major design flaw that the Carphone Warehouse insists is my fault. I refuse to use Sony Ericsson again for that reason (the fault is present in all of their USB charged phones) and the iPhone just does what I need it to do with no issues.

3. Figgus
      Trollface

Lost it?

"I had a Nexus One and used it for a few months until I unfortunately lost it on a drinking binge, "

Odd, I thought that only happened to iPhone prototypes....

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

My God, what's wrong with you?!?!

I am exactly the same, happy to use whatever is to hand if it does the job I want but Jebus H! If we have to be quiet about it. If we start making too much sense the Police will be round wondering what's wrong with us, it might catch and then other people will start making sense!!!

DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE?! DO YOU?!?!!

MY GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

26. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Of course iPhones phone home to Apple...

The Find My iPhone* app (*and, critically, also works with wifi-only iPods) wouldn't work without the devices making themselves visible to Apple on a predictable schedule on the timescale of a minute.

Furthermore, I've seen otherwise inexplicable "Apple.com" in the browser's address bar while trying to get past hotels' Terms & Conditions pages on their free wifi hotspot. Evidence of a check-in to home base.

Based on the above, I simply assume that Apple.com is tracking my location (network, probably not GPS due to battery limits).

1. Robert Synnott

RE: Of course iPhones phone home to Apple...

So, based on your misunderstanding of how the Find My iPhone thing works, you simply assume that Apple is tracking your location?

Find My iPhone's workings are not a secret; if you were curious you could just have Googled. What happens is, all iPhones keep a constant XMPP connection open to Apple for push notifications and various other things. (Androids do the same to Google for C2DM and marketplace stuff). When you go to the website and ask it to tell you the device's location, Apple sends a message to the phone over that connection. In response, the phone activates its GPS and sends back coordinates. Apple is not receiving your phone's location on a regular basis; only when you ask them to relay it to you.

Incidentally, Google is far more likely to know an Android user's rough location than Apple is to know an iPhone user's. Google's AdMob service, the mobile advertising market leader, offers location-based advertising. This is almost never used in iPhone apps (because it causes a dialog popping up asking if the app should be given permission to access location data), but is more commonly used in Android apps, where permission to access location data is granted in the big list of permissions on installation. There's nothing particularly sinister about Google collecting this data, of course.

As for the hotel thing, well, surely a rather _unsubtle_ check-in to home base, if it was one? I've never seen this myself, but I suspect it could be that Apple provides a service to hotels to send proxy config data to client devices, or something of that nature.

27. TEQ

Wouldn't you love to see the look on his face

if when he turned up to start his jeebusPhone vigil, there were others that had got there before him?

28. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Devil

And yet

They will still be scarce and overpriced come release day...

1. Robert Synnott

RE: And yet

Well, yes; given that they were activating 380k per day last quarter, 150k is nothing like enough. Apple has traditionally struggles to meet demand on release. 150k a day will build up a bit of a reserve for a launch next month, but only a week or so's worth. They'll have to wait for Pegatron's production to come online to meet demand longterm.

As for pricing, same as high-end Androids. They're highly unlikely to make the 5 more expensive than the 4.

29. Purlieu
    FAIL

@ ukforest

Betamax vs VHS has nothing to do with "sheeple" as you put it, and everything to do with the fact that VHS was given to the public by JVC as a standard while Betamax was held onto by Sony who were hoping to rule the world (again)

1. Figgus

Actually, it's because the porn industry chose VHS. Never underestimate the power of porn!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like