back to article Al Gore wants to borrow your Facebook and Twitter accounts

Would you trust someone else with your Facebook account, giving them enough access to post status updates on your behalf? What if that person was Al Gore and it was all for a good cause? Yes, the latest frontier in online activism has been breached by Gore and the kids over at the Climate Reality Project, who want you to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greem
    Holmes

Hrm.

"how will you ever know that your mates on Facebook or the celebs you follow on Twitter are really care about these things"

How do you know that the attractive, personable, 20-something couple who approach you in the street about environmental activism really care about these things when they're often getting paid for it? Come to that, if the subject comes up in the pub, how do you *actually* know that your friend really cares, rather than simply being a sheep?

2. Ian Ferguson
    Devil

"...how will you ever know that your mates on Facebook or the celebs you follow on Twitter are really care about these things or if they've given someone else license to speak for them?"

As I understand it, many celebs on Twitter already take payment in returning for promoting goods and services, and allow others to write the messages.

Facebook is also already heading that way - see the number of messages about so-and-so playing some-such game, or thingummy likes brand X.

3. Captain Scarlet
    Thumb Down

Heh

If someone did that I would de-friend them immediatly, as they would then lend it to bob down the road who spams malware links etc...

4. Rob Crawford

Rearrange into a popular sentance

Al yourself fuck go and dear

Or for the more civilised,

Dear Al get your own house (literally) in order before preaching to others you hypocrite

5. Dave Murray

Thuper Therial

Have to warn people about Man Bear Pig!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

As Facebook allows you to mark/report wall posts as spam this might back fire horribly on them

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We have been pleased and excited by the number of people that have chosen to sign up,"

translates to

"we got to double figures, yayyy!"

8. David Kelly 2

Excellent!

Sitting in anticipation of Gore-spam to start un-friending!

9. Undergrid
    FAIL

Wouldn't giving him access to your Facebook and/or Twitter account be a violation of the Terms of Service for those services?, specifically the don't-give-anyone-else-access clauses.

1. Oninoshiko

I wont be holding my breath

for the banning of "Mr Internet"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No. Users who opt for this won't be giving them their passwords.

They will instead be granting a facebook APP the publish_stream permission, so that the app admin can post via the facebook API

"publish_stream Enables your app to post content, comments, and likes to a user's stream and to the streams of the user's friends. With this permission, you can publish content to a user's feed at any time, without requiring offline_access. However, please note that Facebook recommends a user-initiated sharing model."

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/permissions/

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

"fighting the Green fight"

Theres only one type of "Green" Gore is interested in..

11. dotdavid
    FAIL

Friends who become spambots for Gore...

...will soon become ex-Friends methinks.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

True Friends ...

True Friends don't spam their friends. Nor do they let them drink and drive.

12. Graham Jordan

If someone could make a like-minded API which automatically replies on each status with "Fuck off you hippie cunt" I'll happily friend them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would actually be quite simple.

An app granted the publish_stream and read_stream permissions could do a periodic stream search through the API, and then post in response.

13. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

Didn't that group used to be called the Climate Reality Action Project?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got the solution ... if you all let me control your facebook and twitter accounts that day then I can ignore all the climate change bleatings on your behalf - and I promise I won't use your accounts to do anything you would want me to!

15. Mme.Mynkoff
    Happy

Social media is all about faking it

http://blogitlikeyoumeanit.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/santa_headstone.jpg

16. Spleen
    Happy

Great idea

This is an excellent idea. Manbearpig is a real threat to humanity and our way of life (i.e. flying to and from our numerous houses being photographed with celebrities). Al Gore should be congratulated for his wisdom. This should be expanded so that Al Gore can send important Manbearpig warnings via our email accounts, mobiles, El Reg accounts, and the messages we scrawl on toilet cubicle doors. Also we should all buy Al Gore another house. Two more houses.

Yours entirely independently

Spleen

p.p. A Gore

17. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Just wait until

Our Nigerian lads get hold of this idea.

18. DEAD4EVER
    Thumb Down

al gore

hum well i wouldnt give my facebook account to anyone even if there a trusted party or company. so i wouldnt trust anything on facebook weather its some games some applications.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll give you my account

when you take it from my cold, dead hands

20. Lamont Cranston
    FAIL

As much as this is a stupid idea,

it'll probably work. Afterall, no sane person buys watches/pharmaceuticals/money locked in Nigerian trust funds from unsolicited emails, but the continued presence in my Spam folder suggests that someone is responding positively to them.

21. The Unexpected Bill
    Coat

Shoot, why not?

After all, Al Gore _invented_ the Internet, don'tcha know? (imagine that in the most sarcastic looking font available, and you'll have my meaning)

(I don't even play on any of those social networking services, and I never intend to.)

Mine's the coat with the 40-year-old refrigerator that outcools many newer ones in the pocket...

22. Colin Miller

Who's wall?

If this is posting to your wall (rather than your friends walls), then it can be achieved by allowing the AlGoreCampain app permission to post to your wall - his spindoctors won't need your password that way.

Still, I'd get narked if all my friends posted the same thing to their walls, I'd probably end up hiding the notification of them on my facebook homepage.

1. Colin Miller

My mistake...

Just tried to sign up for it (didn't actually give it permission). It seems it *is* an app, that spams your wall.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No password but....

.... they can't post to your wall without allowing you to intervene in the publishing process - its against the AUP to do otherwise, but then again Gore has probably bunged FB a serious amount of cash to turn the other way. If any of my friends do it then I'm reporting the AGC app as a spamming app.

23. AbortRetryFail
    Mushroom

Instant defriend

I've just posted on my Facebook that I will defriend anyone who signs up to this and allows Al Gore to spam me via their account. :o)

24. Armando 123
    FAIL

Well ...

1) If it's Al Gore, it isn't for a good cause; it's to pay alimony to Tipper, so screw it.

2) I wouldn't trust Al as far as I could throw him.

3) Isn't this the same father of four who chided us for overpopulation?

4) I've got enough people mad at me because I'm bemoaning Peyton Manning's health (I'm a season ticket holder) that I don't need to add this guff to it.

1. Figgus

It's also the same guy that flies around in a jet telling us to be "green".

PS. He's pretty fat, so #2 wouldn't be very far at all.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Well....

I guess since its Al Gore, I'd let him use my Facebook account. Too bad I don't have one!

25. fishman

Gore != green

Back around 2005, when energy was cheaper, Al Gore used $30,000 per year in utilities for his house in Tennesee. His four (Overpopulation!) kids were old enough that they weren't living at home to help run up the bill. His big claim was that he had carbon credits to offset it, so he was carbon neutral.

Gore has made hundreds of millions on his "green" investments. So there is a conflict of interest on his part.

1. Charles Manning

those carbon credits....

which He bought from Himself and were used to pay Him to fly around the world spreading His message.

Of course this is not a conflict of interests. A really dedicated person will have all there interests invested in The One True Cause.

26. Captain DaFt
    WTF?

Quite frankly, I'd trust Gore about as far as I can hurl an old growth redwood. EOM

27. Joe Zeff
    WTF?

Who cares?

The title says it all. Who cares what Al Gore does anymore? He's a washed up old has-been who should have been a never-was and everybody except the media knows it. He's a phony and a hypocrite who's trying to wring a last bit of attention out of the "crisis" he invented out of nothing just to get attention. If there's anybody out there who still thinks AlGore really believes in Global Warming, just look at the way the man acts. He's wasting power and throwing CO2 into the air like there's no tomorrow, and he wants us to cut back?

IMAO, anybody who's stupid enough to go along with him on this twit project deserves all the derision they're going to get from their ex-friends.

Me? Well, it's kind of hard to give him access to my Facebook and Twitter accounts when I don't have any, isn't it?

28. Doogie Howser MD
    Stop

Get a life, Al.

Fuck off, Al. Instead of patronising us with questionable climate change mumbo jumbo, why not do something infinitely more useful and more immediate like sorting out those reckless pricks on Wall Street?

29. steward
    FAIL

Lemmings over a cliff

Al Gore couldn't even win his home state's votes in 2000 when he ran for President. If he had, he would have been President even with the Florida Fiasco.

Why would anyone trust someone that thousands of his neighbors trusted less than they trusted George W. Bush?

30. Curly4
    Mushroom

The answer is not only NO but 7734 NO!

31. BinaryFu
    Thumb Up

Instant solution!!!

Google+

Problem solved. Thanks Al Gore for giving us just one more reason to ditch FaceBook! :D

32. 404
    Childcatcher

Ya'll are all misinformed....

When Al Gore was a child, His father Al Gore Sr. (who was an SOB racist bastard btw, don't care what wikipeedia has to say, Tennesseans *know* - badass that he was, he hated the brothers) told him he would be President of the US when he grew up. Al Jr. believes this and feels incredibly bewildered he is not President - thus the almost untenable position he's in now. Heavily invested in green projects, he stands to make an incredible amount of cash or lose a significant amount of Dad's leftover cash in his care. Believe it when he says he's super cereal - he just purchased a new place on the *beachfront* in California! If all that shit is coming down on us RIGHT NOW, why the hell would you live in a place where you are almost guaranteed to be killed if ONE of any of the bad things happen due to global warming climate change?

Boggles the mind - think I'll go out and decat my exhaust manifold, supposed to get 10hp and 1-2mpg by removing the first catalytic converter.............

8|

Bah.. no treehugger icon...oh wait...

33. Ron Christian

yeah, that's not gonna happen

Although it might be a good way to empty your friends list.

34. Herby

Friends...

...don't let friends be friends with AlGore.

So PLEASE mark it all messages as SPAM (which they most absolutely are!).

35. Doug Glass
    Go

Guck Fore ...

...and the horse he rode in on too.

36. Mr Young
    Mushroom

"bring the world together with a clear message"?

I think I'm going to puke - stupid hippies

37. codemonkey
    Go

@BinaryFu

That ID would not be allowed on Google+ . So good luck with your move :)

38. Brandon 2
    Alien

I want to believe...

Because thinking, with its logic and statistics and data, is work. Work is pain; pain is to be avoided; ergo, thinking is to be avoided in favor of believing in Al Gore, Ted Haggard, and alien invasions.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TOS Violation

I have a dream.

Offense: Using other accounts not belonging to you.

Penalty: Account deletion.

My wish: I hope it drives users out into the four winds where the real world is.

40. Jim O'Reilly
    Angel

Goebbels resurrexit

Did the Reverend Al find the lost corpse of Goebbels and resurrect him?

Take a load of bullshit, say it often enough, and everyone will believe. The Warmists smell a bit like the Nazis and the Communists. Extreme views, no tolerance for heresy, and at bottom, a religion based on a flawed philosophy.

Warming is mostly a myth. There is no imminent crisis. In reality, the temperature numbers suggest a Little Ice Age is imminent.

Al, I know where you can find Torquemada's corpse. Shall we bring him back and have him burning heretics, or will that be too big a CO2 load?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"take a load of bullshit, say it often enough, and everyone will believe."

Is that why you uttered the following BS?

"In reality, the temperature numbers suggest a Little Ice Age is imminent."

The reality is that skeptics are the real fantasists with. While you parrot what the last pseudo-science blog told you to believe about an ice age, academies of science around the world accept that greenhouse gases have a warming effect and human emissions of them means that the world will warm.

Hmm who to believe the skeptic nutjobs or the scientific community?

41. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

Dear Anonymous.

Could I prevail upon you to provide Al Gore with 24 hours of reality check, by DDOSing him and his cronies off the Internet on the 14th of September? I think he needs showing how much of a shit we really give about what he has to say.

Much appreciated, thanks

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HELL TO THE NO!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like