back to article Domino's to serve pizzas on the Moon, apparently

Despite the fact that man has stopped going to the Moon, Domino's Japan reckons this is a good time to plan an outlet there. dominos_restaurant_moon2 An artist’s impression shows the restaurant with a two-storey dome and a basement level made of steel plating where the pizzas will be prepared. Staff are expected to sleep in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

Hmm

Chap I was at school with won a seat on the first Pan-Am flight to the moon. I think he still has a ticket.

2. JDX Gold badge

see the progress of their pizza in real-time

I can do that here in the UK.

3. The Unexpected Bill
    Happy

Domino's Pizza

(it'll surprise me if I'm the first to say it...)

It's Domino's Pizza...does anyone really eat that stuff? This is the same company that once ran a radio ad with people saying terrible things about their product, after which they claimed to be "improving" it. From where I was standing, their pizza went from bad to worse around that time. At least it's cheap.

Therefore, I postulate that it makes little practical difference if their new location is indeed intended to be on the moon. Although I'd love to know how they plan to get it there...

1. hplasm
      Go

Cheap but foul?

Most people I know think it tastes great but is expensive?

Which side of the pond are you on?

2. Trokair 1
      Gimp

Indeed

I have to say that I quite enjoy their new recipie. Terrible as the commercials are the product has actually improved.

3. DrXym

Tastes okay to me

It's a takeaway / delivery pizza service. It tastes okay and has some pretty (comparatively) innovative choices for customers such as half & half, low fat cheese etc. Biggest gripe is it's homogenous so one branch serves the same damned food as another. There is no variety and it does not help that the chain is predatory and kills the local competition.

1. Kevin 6
        FAIL

Duh

Its a franchise that is how most work. Goto a McDonalds, Burger king, Subway, or Wendy's the one down the block will sell the same things as the one you are at. That is how franchises work.

Most franchise owners will invalidate your franchise if you do not buy your ingredients from certain distributors, or make modifications to the recipes, and are caught. I know an owner that was booted out of a franchise for making changes to the menu.

As for Dominoes their pizza is alright for the cash only other place similarly priced place(which is also a franchise) is Little Ceaser's but IMO Dominoes blows them away.

4. Fibbles

17 quid for one pizza is not cheap...

They are tasty though so it's always wise to have some bogof vouchers to hand.

5. mark 63 Silver badge

cheap??

cheap? really? you must not be in the UK, its normally about 3 times the price of other pizza shops and into the lower end of the restaurant price range.

I wonder if they got planning perms for the moon?

1. Shakje

Well...

it's cheaper than Pizza Hut and about the same as Papa Johns, which are the only real pizza delivery chains we have. In terms of "dirty pizzas" you're always going to pay about half the price for the same size of pizza, but that's the absolute minimum. If you watch the offers you should be able to do all right. For instance, there's an offer on at the moment which is any pizza any size for £7.99 collection. Considering how much better they actually taste (I haven't met anyone who doesn't like a sizzler...) that's a bargain. Two for Tuesday effectively makes it half-price, and the last time I ordered on my phone I got a £7 voucher. I don't know any pizza restaurants (by that I mean Franky and Benny's or Pizza Express) where you could get a meal for two for £10, never mind other restaurants.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

true, but cheaper at the pub

true, but cheaper at the pub,

At many pubs near me you can get 2 meals for 6 pounds - leaving enough change from a tenner for 2 pints of beer!

and these are sit down meals from a menu , brought over by a waitress ,

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dominos Pizza (in the US)

There was a ONION (newspaper) bit about how bad Domino Pizza really is (check an ONION.COM to see if its still available).

Domino's pizza is so bad I was at a party and the host served them. I called out for a delivery of a great local pizza. Everyone wanted the pizza that was called in and the Domino pizza was left in a soggy mess on the table. The end game is no one that has any taste buds orders a Domino's Pizza.

We should alert the UN because if Domino's really opens a moon pizza service we should becareful as we could get in trouble for distributing food that is poison (to at least other alien life forms). There should be a treaty set up that disallows this type of monstrosity as we could be running afoul on space relations of the galaxy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Warning Flash website

The website you link to is a flash-only jobbie apparently. Which makes it better than a simple publicity stunt: a publicity stunt run by clueless morons.

1. boatman
      Trollface

flash-only jobbie

flash and job dont mix well

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Right

Nicely done; I'm ashamed I didn't think of it first. I don't own fruit-branded kit myself so I tend to forget these little details. And miss obvious jokes. Drat.

My gripe was more about clueless morons who:

-do not provide a non-flash version of their crap

-are unable to code Flash compat detection properly, forcing people to spoof their user-agent if they want to access the Flash crap.

5. Stewart Knight
    Happy

Delivery

30 minutes or it's free right?

1. Cameron Colley

The founder has to apologise in person too.

If The Deliverator fails.

6. J 3
    Joke

Null title exception

"leading to the suspicion that this may be one of those crazy marketing stunts Japanese companies are so fond of"

It took you that long?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*** cynic alert ***

I see the Dominos ad agency is in full swing.

Just look at all this free publicity they're getting...

8. DrXym

How to get free publicity

"We're going to serve pizzas on the moon". FFS

9. martin 62
    IT Angle

what will they say?

will they say "one small step for man one giant leap for Domino's pizza"

1. Haku
      Coat

re: what will they say?

"That's one small slice for a man, one...giant pizza for mankind"

10. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Toppings?

They'll be mining the cheese I presume.

1. phear46

le tit

Genius....

11. jake Silver badge

Why buy drek when you can make it yourself in about the same time, for less money?

Make pizza dough in bulk & freeze it in portion size. Same for the sauce(s).

In the time it takes to thaw the dough & sauce, the oven heats up and you can get whatever toppings you want chopped up. Simply roll out the dough, assemble, and bake. Pizza isn't exactly rocket science; it's just a hot open faced sandwich ... and a great backdrop for leftovers.

And as a side note, Domino's isn't pizza. It's cardboard with artificial ketchup-like substitute and a variety of tasteless toppings with poor mouth feel. IMO, of course.

1. Yag

heh...

Pizza dough can be made in less than 5 minutes... what the point of freezing it?

I agree for the sauces and some kind of toppings however ;)

1. jake Silver badge

@Yag

Proper pizza dough is a yeast bread. Takes more than five minutes. The following is a recipe I came up with at Uni ... Works great with a bread machine[1] on the dough cycle, but I originally used a large bowel & wooden spoon. Can be quadrupled if you have a large stand mixer[2] and know how to use it.

1 1/3 cups water

1/4 cup good olive oil

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons SAF yeast

Mix it all together one way or another. Knead by hand or machine. Let stand, covered, in a warm place until doubled. Turn it out onto a floured board, and give it a quick knead. Separate into two portions. Either form into balls and allow to rise in a warm place (or refrigerate for up to 24 hours), or form into "pucks" and wrap in cling film, then into a zip top bag and freeze for up to 4 months. Makes two 12 to 14 inch pizzas.

To bake, press out the dough onto a lightly oiled baking sheet[3], working outwords in a circular motion with fingertips. Take your time, so the dough stays "relaxed". Top with whatever floats your boat. Throw into an oven that is cranked up as high as it'll go (450F or 500F for most home ovens; a good outdoor gas grill can usually hit 650F or so, and works well).Check after 6 or 7 minutes, and burst any large bubbles with a fork. It should be done in 12 to 15 minutes.

Serve with ale of choice. I prefer Lagunitas Maximus :-)

Allow the frozen dough to thaw in the fridge overnight. Allow refrigerated dough to come up to room temperature for an hour or so before using.

[1] Don't laugh. Bread machines are handy for small batches of dough. My foreman's daughter calls hers "the pizza machine" ... Usually available at thrift stores for a couple quid. Look for one that can make a 2 pound (1 kilo) loaf.

[2] KitchenAid 600 series, or similar ... 14 cups of flour makes a LOT of dough!

[3] If you have a stone & peel you already know all this, so why are you still reading?

1. jake Silver badge

Bowl, BOWL!

::hehehe:: That was a bad typoe ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Sorry lost me....

..how big a cup should I use, I mean the one I have a work is massive, but some at home are small?

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt? Well there goes my heart....

3. Ru
          Paris Hilton

There's only one thing that should be measured in cups

And it isn't an ingredient of pizza.

2. Cameron Colley

@jake

Possibly people buy rather than making so they don't spend 45 minutes making a pizza that doesn't turn out right, then have to go for a takeaway after all. Not everyone is good enough with dough to get it right every time, especially if it's late at night, they've been drinking, or they've just come to the end of a 12 hour stint in front of a PC.

1. jake Silver badge

@Cameron Colley

My pizza always turns out "right"[0]. It's called practice. Kinda like coding in C ...

It never fails to amaze me how many computer geeks[1] have absolutely zero idea where food comes from, or how food is assembled ... Learn to cook, people! It's probably the second[1] most important hack that good old HomoSap is in the process of figuring out!

[0] It's not necessarily always what I planned on, but it's always tasty.

[1] The first would be water management. IMO, of course.

3. Alan 6

Emergency Pizza

Emergency Pizza is even quicker

1 slice white bread

1 jar of ketchup

Toast bread

apply ketchup

eat

12. Tomato42

jurisdiction

>this is only taking place in Japan, not in the US

Since when is moon in Japanese jurisdiction?

13. Matthew 25
    Alert

September is the wrong month

April Fool!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Bowling

Did anybody else see the loop-de-loop bowling alley down in the basement?

15. SweetV

verbiage

Did you really use the word "reckon"? Really?

1. jake Silver badge

@SweetV

I reckon so. It's part of the vernacular 'round these here parts.

Old English, via middle English. First used in the 1200s, pardner.

16. Dive Fox

SPAAAAAAACE

I'm surprised no one threw Wheatley or the Space Core in the image as a Where's Wally-type gag.

17. Jean-Luc
    Joke

Obligatory SnowCrash reference

It seems like one of the 3 things Japan is planning to be good at is delivering Pizza.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

They're going to drop a clanger with this.

It'll piss off the soup dragon too.

19. James Woods

title

sorry im not buying pizza or any food for that matter from people that live at the pizza shop.

we've all seen the dominos employee videos bathing in the kitchen sinks and picking their noses.

just think what your pizza will have if they live there.

20. Christian Berger

Very sensible

Instead of spending money on wars, it would be far more economical to spend it on pizza places on the moon.

21. Blofeld's Cat
    Unhappy

Deep pan crisp and even...

Our local home-delivery pizza firm manages to produce a pizza that looks as though it was created in low gravity, and which arrives at a similar temperature to the lunar surface.

It's not rocket science - it just involves a moped, potholes and a delivery rider with no sense of direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Temp.

"and which arrives at a similar temperature to the lunar surface"

... so somewhere between -233C and +123C?

22. nyelvmark
    Headmaster

Possessive

It's interesting to see that the name of this company is 'Domino's' (including the apostrophe, which seems to imply that the company is owned by a mister/ms Domino). But then surely the possessive form should be "Domino's'" (with two apostrophes), as in "I ate a Domino's' pizza last night, so I can't come to work today".

(sigh) If only language was logical...

1. ArmanX
      Joke

But would it be pronounced...

Dominoses?

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Headmaster

Re: Possessive

It's a bit simpler than that, it's "Domino's" as in "Domino's Pizza" (i.e. the fact that they have something, in this case pizzas, is intentionally implicit in the name).

Thus "Domino's" as the name and "I ate a Domino's pizza last night...<etc>" are both correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Plural

And what would the Plural be?

Domani?

(As in the Honda that spawned the Rover 400)

23. Steven Roper
    Joke

They'll have to fight McDonalds for the privilege

Back in the early 80s I remember a story doing the rounds (it later proved to be an urban myth) that McDonalds had bought the rights to be the first fast-food franchise to open on the moon from NASA or some such. So the thought occurred to me that had that been true, Domino's would have been receiving a call from McD's lawyers in response...

24. Geoff Thompson
    Coat

Lunacy

Thats all

25. Piezor
    Unhappy

delivering pizza on the moon?!

I can't even get one delivered from Middlesbrough (or stockton) to Billingham.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Delivery to the moon?

And they refuse to deliver to the NI Science Park?

27. kain preacher

Little Caesars

You folks must not have Little Caesars over there . It makes Domino's look high end food .

28. Jason Bassford

Plural

The proper name is "Domino's Pizza". So, the plural possessive would be, "The Domino's Pizza's pizzas were eaten."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And what would the situation be if Fats Domino was having his tea?

"Fats Domino's Domino's Pizza's pizzas were eaten" ?

Or if he invited Domino Vitali from Thunderball into the picture?

"Fats Domino's Domino's Domino's Pizza's pizzas were eaten" ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like