back to article Poster presents evolution of game controllers

Fancy a wallchart detailing the evolution of videogame console controllers? Yours for just $30 (£19): a 60 x 90cm poster that creator Pop Chart Lab claims is "the most extensive charting of video game controllers ever". Pop Chart Lab videogame controller poster A new version of an existing offering, the revamped chart …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoOnions
    WTF?

£19?

£19 for a poster? I can think of somewhere that they can shove their still rolled-up poster!

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Errors

It's certainly got some errors in it, like how the PS Move evolved when the WiiMote, when infact Nintendo just copied the Move. (the Move pre-dates the Wiimote by several years).

2003:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zin-gK6NEIY

2010:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/PSBlogEU/videos/688/1.36

(The guy in the video is a younger Dr Richard Marks, the guy demoing the final product in the 2010 presentations). Nintendo rushed a sorta working cheap and nasty MS Move copy in 2005. I'm guessing after seeing the Sony tech demos.

1. MJI Silver badge

2 independantly developed technologies

I am pretty sure that both came about on their own.

3. Greg J Preece

Hold the smeg on

As a Time Crisis nutjob, I feel it my duty to point out that their GunCon3 looks nothing like a GunCon3. The real one is either orange or black, and has a half-controller sticking out the side.

4. stucs201
    Thumb Down

Not a single Quickshot joystick?

Not interested.

1. MrT

True...

...joystick evolution didn't end with the bunch of 70's/80's ones in the upper middle section. I was looking for Kempston, then at least the MS Sidewinder, CH Flightstick Pro, Thrustmaster or Saitek flight sticks with Z-axis rudder, throttle sliders, hat switches and so on. Some even had customisable grips etc - it wasn't just IKEA that shipped stuff with Allen keys.

I think it was in a Zygote column way back where he joked that the ultimate force-feedback model would be used when the player crashes the jet/car/whatever, or is punched in the face in Street Fighter - in that case, the joystick handle would shoot violently upwards, breaking the player's nose and bringing some actual reality back to a virtual world...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Usual mistake...

The Atari joystick is labelled as the Atari 2600, but as anyone old timer will know this was first on the Atari VCS (wood / black), the Atari 2600 (silver / black) was the later revision of this.

6. yossarianuk
    Thumb Up

Even has the CDTV/CD32 controller !! No zipstick though

I am so impressed it has both the Commodore CDTV (the worlds first CD based console - that was actually a computer too..) and the CD32 (the worlds first 32bit console) - where is the zipstick though? (the best controller ever made..)

I was one of the few hundred people in the world to own the CDTV - the thing that basically killed Commodore - it was so bad...

The CD32 was a great machine - shame it was too late to save Commode...

Shortly after the death of Commodore Microsoft had fully monopoly (not really related to the death) and gaming and computing generally was sent back 1/2 a decade...

If only commodore had survived - if they had we would have all been using 64bit computers in the mid 90's instead of the wank that was (is) windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Hombre_chipset

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

hmm

They've managed to spell "Genesis" wrong, which is fairly impressive for a 19 quid poster

8. jonathan keith
    Mushroom

Game Controller fail

No Kempston Competiton Pro? No (as mentioned upthread) Quickshot?

No HOTAS flightstick?

And no mouse and keyboard?

Consoles. Toys for Children. Real gamers use a system that requires a keyboard.

1. MJI Silver badge

Real gamers

Play games!

9. Anon the mouse
    FAIL

Looks pretty inaccurate in places

Rumble (not force feedback) originated in the N64 controller as an addon pack, all the controllers that followed included it as a built in feature. Yet this poster has no links from it to the Xbox or Wii controllers.

Also pretty sure sticking something over the controller (wii wheel, wii zapper, psmove gun, etc) doesn't count as a new controller.

10. Petrea Mitchell
    Thumb Down

They're missing a couple

I don't see the primitive joysticks I used for years as a kid with a Tandy Color Computer 2 and 3, nor the big, impressive, but horribly unreliable grippy things that I later played a few Amiga games with.

This topic is closed for new posts.