back to article HP Pavilion dv7 17.3in Llano notebook

Heave the 3kg HP dv7 from its enormous box and you can’t help but have your hopes raised: this is a notebook that gives the impression of high-end consumer tech promise. The brushed silver back has a refined air to it and Apple stylee, the HP logo lights up using the screen’s LED lamps. Appearances aside, there are tech treats …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

Sounds very tempting ...

... for maybe £120 in HP's next fire sale?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

'I'd buy that for a dollar....'

(Blatant Robocop reference of the day)

2. Jon Massey
    WTF?

"reasonably good trade-off"?

At 17.3" there's no excuse not to be packing 1920x1080 . Hell, I'm waiting on delivery of a Thinkpad W520 which has that resolution in a 15.6" frame.

1. Patrick R
      Holmes

"reasonably..."

Your Thinkpad is at least £400 more expensive.

3. jason 7
    Meh

I agree....

should at least have a 1080p screen on a 17" but it could have been worse.

Again its another one of those 17" laptops that falls into the jack of all trades bracket.

For me a 17" laptop should be one of two designs.

1. A desktop/workstation replacement, fairly robust and optimised for work/web/design. Dual HDD/workstation GPU/8GB+

2. A media centre with all the gloss and fancy media trappings (Bluray, HDMI,1080p etc. etc. )

This is another 17" that doesnt really appeal to either.

1. Marvin the Martian

I disagree.

In the early 2000's, my quite-general-purpose/student computer had a 24inch monitor with about that number of pixels (in 3:4). It was fantastic to do coding work with, some light photoshopping, or watch a dvd, but ate up all of my desk.

This is just a space-efficient version of that, especially considering my workload & habits haven't really changed... 1080p screens are fine, but make no difference to any DVD I have and very little to any iPlayer/Lovefilm online watching. It clearly stated "budget" here.

4. Flossie
    Joke

Finally, A Welsh Laptop

The name Llano was blatantly chosen to appeal to the Welsh speaking market.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like