back to article AndyPad Pro low-cost Android tablet now on sale

The AndyPad Pro - highlighted as a Recommened purchase in Reg Hardware's recent Ten… Budget Android Tablets round-up - has now gone on sale. AndyPad Pro budget Android tablet The 374g AndyPad comes with a 7in, 1024 x 600 screen, a 1.2GHz Cortex A8 chip, 512MB of RAM, 802.11g Wi-Fi, and HDMI and micro USB ports. It also has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hawthorne
    Thumb Down

But no android marketplace

by the looks of things

1. jayp
      Happy

it's there (apparently)

according to their support forum android marketplace comes pre-installed...

http://www.andypad.co.uk/forums/t/104/android-market.aspx

2. Crimperman
      Thumb Up

Not true

There are several questions on this in the AndyPad forum and all of them have an AndyPad admin saying that it will come with the Android Marketplace.

e.g. http://www.andypad.co.uk/forums/t/104/android-market.aspx

Not sure why this isn't more clearly publicised on the site though.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Hawthorne...

Has none of the Google Apps, but that's no biggy its just a rebranded Teclast T760 - there's plenty of alternate firmware via the OEM and the usual modders are supporting it.

2. DB2k
    Thumb Up

Touchpad

So happy with my 32GB Touchpad. All these tabs make it look like such a steal its just not true.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Db2k

Smug git.

Get the down to the shrine of HP and worship their demise.

Let <insert company name here> be next so a few more of us can obtain cheap fondleslabs at cheapo prices and become more smug gits like you...

Paris... Because she can recognise a smug git a mile away.

3. Arnold Lieberman
    Stop

1024 only on the 'Pro'

The 8Gb version is stuck with 800 x 480, according to the website.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Totally different products

The pro and the non-pro versions are totally different. The non-pro versions have resistive screens.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is anybody else reading the name

as AndyPandy?

5. Bruno Girin

HDMI

HDMI port and micro-SD expansion slot: nice! Anyway, I agree with DB2k, my TouchPad is more than enough for now :-)

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Camilla Smythe

What's with the relative camera resolutions...

"It also has front- and rear-facing cameras - 0.3Mp and 2Mp respectively"

I might imagine that whilst on 'chat' you would not wish your target to see you are an ugly fuck but... You wish to deliver higher resolution pictures of your genital paraphernalia?

Is this some sort of Web2.0 concept?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Screen

"There's a Micro SD card slot for storage expansion, boosting the built in 8GB or 16GB of Flash. The 8GB model costs a mere £129 - it lacks Bluetooth, and only has a resistive touchscreen.

The 16GB, "Pro" version costs just £50 more."

But - does the pro have Resistive touch screen as well ? If so, no thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Look at the website

And you'll see that the "Pro" version has a capacitive screen.

9. Lottie

Hmm

I might have found my next "toy" purchase. That looks ideal for surfing during advert breaks and whatnot.

10. The First Dave
    Boffin

512MB RAM

How much can you genuinely do with only 512MB ?

1. MrSeaneyC

512MB RAM?

Dunno, you'd better ask iPad owners - only 512MB of RAM in the iPad 2, think that's quite a popular gadget at the moment!

Can't say it's every really bothered me on my iPad, apart from the apparent lack of page caching in Safari, which I suspect is not entirely hindered by RAM.

11. JDX Gold badge

512Mb

Really? I remember the days when a desktop could run Windows and Office on 128Mb. These Android thingies must be inefficient bloatware compared to Windows XP!!

1. Gorbachov
      FAIL

ho hum

XP on 128 MB is a painful experience. 512 is the recommended ammount for normal use. Just Firefox can gobble up 200-300 GB no problem.

AFA Android efficiency is concerned, it's not Android eating up all that delicious memory, it's the 3d games and the assorted apps.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And another one...

CPC currently have the View Quest - Slate5 on sale for £45 + VAT

It's a 5" Android 1.5 media device (ie: it has no network connections) ... however despite that it looks like a great bit of kit for setting up a touchable media server in your car since it has a transreflective screen ;)

13. IsJustabloke
    Coat

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Am I alone in thinking it sounds like something a laydee might buy for when the painters are in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re:I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

Funnily enough, that's precisely what one of my cow-orkers said when I mentioned it to him.

Whilst the 'Pro' version of the device looks nice enough, especially for the price, I think I'll wait and see if they come up with a 3G version - for the sort of things I'm likely to use such a device for, GPS functionality of some sort would be a definite plus. That is but a minor niggle, though.

14. Martin Saunders

3G dongle support?

Would be nice to be able to use a 3G dongle of some form on this thing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like