back to article Webcam sextortion perve gets 6 years

A Peeping Tom webcam sextortionist has been jailed for six years after targeting several young women. Luis Mijangos, 32, a resident of Santa Ana, California, was imprisoned on Thursday after he was convicted of hacking into more than 100 computers, using stolen personal information, to blackmail his young female victims into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    WTF?

six years?

Really less than three years with time off for good behavior - on the other hand, if he's lucky he'll get so spend it in solitary confinement ...

2. Tom Melly
    WTF?

Shocking of course, but...

... someone managed to trick users into taking the pc into the shower with them by generating a fake error message?

I have to admit that I'm sort of vaguely impressed - although whether by the stupidity of the users or the recognition of that stupidity by the culprit, I'm not sure...

Oh, and it was on a Mac ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its not enough to turn off the web cam

Its not enough to turn off the web cam, stick a bit post-it note over the lens.

We discovered that its not very noticeable ( a tiny little light) when the cam on our work laptops are remotely activated.

1. nyelvmark
      Facepalm

Highly advanced security tip:

>>Its not enough to turn off the web cam, stick a bit post-it note over the lens.

If the facepalm icon doesn't say it to you, then you're beyond hope.

1. LuMan
        Go

@nyelvmark

Actually Post-it notes work great. Our work laptops are Stinkpads (T510 in my case) and, despite the camera being locked out, admins have had great fun over-riding the settings remotely and posting me piccies of myself working (yep, hard put for entertainment here!).

However, stick a bit of yellow paper over the cam and they're stumped.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

advice on possible countermeasures

I don't wish to sound conceited, but you can keep 'use anti-malware and, if in doubt, disable webcams' for OK magazine or something.

Remember, this is the one with the tech readership.

5. CyberCod
    Holmes

Its a sure bet...

that these victims weren't linux users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

"...bet that these victims weren't linux users"

Yeah, 'cos it's impossible to get a webcam to work with Linux.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

*sigh*

Another story which has become an OS flaming opportunity within 6 comments...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

disappointed

it took 6 posts

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why do they keep doing this?

They must be really stupid or desperate to do things like this and leave so much evidence that they are obviously going to be caught at some point...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like