back to article Toshiba outs 'world's thinnest, lightest' tablet

Sneaky Toshiba. A day after saying its thick Thrive tablet is coming to Europe as the AT100, it unveiled a 7.7mm fondleslab, the AT200 - set to ship in the States as the Excite. Toshiba Excite AT200 Android 3.2 tablet It weighs an impressive 558g. It'll be the thinnest laptop… when it ships. Well, maybe - someone else may …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul E

Oh dear

Rectangular, black bezel, plain back. Expect a visit from Apple lawyers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Errmmm..

"Toshiba's official release window is Q4, because the AT200 will - like Sony's 3G-enabled Tablet S and Tablet P - run Android 3.2 Honeycomb."

This suggests that Android 3.2 isn't out yet. It's been out for well over a month, my Asus Transformer already has it.

Perhaps El-Reg should invest in something that's not Apple.... I know they will get upset at the Wine Bar round the corner, but if you want to call yourselves a tech site, you ought to know what you are talking about, and have an unbiased opinion and not get swayed by slick advertising.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very nice, but...

I just want a tablet that can run a full version of Linux or Windows, not a glorified phone OS, be that iOS, Android or WP7/7.5. It's not too much to ask is it?

1. Grifter

Title-requirements are befucked.

Agreed, but the only thing I've seen coming even close to that would be some of the stuff at www.ekoore.com - and I haven't yet taken the plunge. Would be nice to have a writeup first.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Asus Transformer can dualboot Android Honeycomb and Ubuntu.

It's also got a proper keyboard, a better than iPad2 display res, a better than iPad2 pricetag, a better than iPad build quality, better than iPad2 apps and OS, proper USB, Audio and HDMI ports, SD and MicroSD slots,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1191141

1. tonyoung
        Thumb Up

Hear, hear!

And mine's been running 3.2 for weeks. Brilliant product, but not marketed well, as far as I can see. When did you last see an ad, or one in a store?

Can't understand why all the techie blogs ignore it.

Asus doing well with firmware updates, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Yes

It is.

4. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Very nice but

Acer offer such a thing. It runs Windows 7 starter, and I don't see why you couldn't put linux on it. The problems are that Windows 7 isn't really designed for a touch screen interface and you have to tap really precisely to get it to do what you want, and battery life isn't that great.

5. Mr Floppy

you mean like Maemo

on a N900. Nokia's Internet Tablets. Such a travesty that they didn't do more with it.

6. Ammaross Danan
      Go

Fat Tablets

There's a couple "run a full Win7/Linux" tablets out there. Two of the better ones are the MSI Windpad 110W and the Fujitsu Q550. Check them out before complaining about "glorified phone OSes" for your only options.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tablet-style

Windows machines have been about for like 10, 15 years. Clunky, but they've been around.

Alternatively, it's a cludge but when I had a need for exactly this I used RDP / VNC sessions to get access to my main Windows machine. Again, not the best of solutions- but being able to do full 3D CAD on my tablet (a crappy £100-ish chinese thing) really knocked the wind out of the 'check out big-screen Angry Birds!' iPad users! It also has the advantage that you can carry your PC about with you wherever you've got a data connection.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Call Apple...

...with its black border, round edges and metalic trim it's obviously a design knock off of an iPad.

Quick somebody call Apple... queue the Apple fanbois...

Bugger Apple, looks very nice, will need a case on that back though.

1. Marvin the Martian
      FAIL

Queue the apple fanbois??

That's going to be a bloody long row.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

cue ffs!

That is all.

5. RustyNailed
    WTF?

Release date down to Google?

I'm confused about why this article is saying that the release date will be Q4 *because* it will ship with Android 3.2 and so it's down to Google. My Asus Transformer is quite happily running Android 3.2 right now so how exactly is that a cause for delay?

Or was the reference supposed to refer to ICS?

1. 404

Google's using the Pimp Hand evidently

Latest on the Acer Iconia A500 site (acertabletforum.com) says:

"Dear Fans, due to some policy changes from Google where Acer has to comply, the A500 Honeycomb 3.2 OTA update will be postponed to 25th August, we apologize for the dissapointments and upsets but we will be bringing the final and stable update to all of our A500 fans asap! Please be patient guys"

Which the words, "the final and stable update", disturb me a bit, makes one wonder if 4.0 ICS will be supported in the near future.

And then we got this:

"Dear fans, we sincerely apologize for the delayed release of the 3.2 update for Acer Iconia Tab A500. We've just received news today that there have been some issues with the GPS settings therefore the 3.2 update will be rescheduled to 10th of September. We will update again if earlier, we hope to provide all our end users a stable and problem-free OS. Thanks for your continuous support and understanding."

So it's kind of hard telling exactly what the hell is going on either at Google or Acer , not enough information pro or con, although i did hear that Gateway will be selling rebranded iconia tabs shortly, not a bad play for Acer.

6. Dave 88
    Unhappy

Toshiba could exceed my expectations quite easily...

by not deleting the support forum and expunging all traces of the device from their website within 4 months of launch unlike with the Folio.

However, more likely they will be pretending it never existed by Easter.

Never again!

1. Dave Lawton
      FAIL

@Dave 88

Just like they did with the NVidia Tegra2 Based AC100 notebook

7. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Never Mind Thin

How about drop proof.

8. as2003

No dual-core?

That's a shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OMAP4430

It is a dual core processor.

1. as2003

I stand corrected.

9. JDX Gold badge

thinnest laptop

Do they still have a bounty on spotting errors?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I expect

I expect that it will be overpriced and that it will not run Windows (or linux).

1. Goat Jam
      FAIL

Sigh

It won't run Windows because then it would require an x86 processor, a hard disk, megabytes of ram, cooling fans to stop it melting and a tonne of batteries to keep it all alive for more than five minutes.

Also, Windows has a user interface that sucks on tablets.

Also, also, it *will* run Linux because Android runs on Linux.

11. Bernd Felsche

Still finding these tablets hard to swallow.

Also, no mention of battery life.

I need 30 hours on a pair of AA alkalines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

AA batteries...

ain't AA batteries thicker than these? Will we have a bulge where the batteries go, like some telly remotes?

If we DO have a bulge where they go, can we make those on each side of the screen, so creating a recess that avoids scratching even when facing down? Not that it scratches... but couldn´t it happpen?

It could be even disguised as a handle.

Wait, an '85 walkman knockoff is calling me... see you later.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too thin?

Looks like a pain in the arse to hold.

13. tmTM

Price?

Quite blatantly will be far too much, just like Sony's upcoming efforts.

FWIW Archos have a tablet running pretty damn similar specs for £250

*tell a lie, the Archos tablet is faster than this*

14. Philippe
    FAIL

Pity it's a Toshiba

After having been burnt badly by their pathetic attempts in the laptop world. (three power supply in 18 months, missing pixels and failing hard drives ), there is absolutely no way i'd go anywhere near this thing...

15. Sandy Ritchie

huuuuge!

Bugga me, is that a child in a well pressed shirt holding that tablet, for 7.7" it looks massive compared to my fat 7" galaxy tab!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like