back to article Sharp shows off 8K4K hi-res prototype telly

At IFA, Berlin Sharp set about wowing its press audience with a European premiere of it Super Hi-Vision 8K4K, 85in LCD TV, developed in collaboration with Japanese broadcaster NHK. Sharp 8K4K hi-res prototype TV Touted as the next-gen HD format, this telly has a knock ’em dead 7680 x 4320 resolution – 16 times higher than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pedro Mendosa
    FAIL

Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled. What? Huh?

Why would anyone want a mobile device with a set-top box?!

That's like carting round a PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse when a laptop would do.

2. Stephane Mabille
    Thumb Up

Humm

Hi,

While I'm sure my girlfriend will be happy to get 8k4k picture, i'm not sure she'll be that happy with 24 speakers all around the living room. I think 7.1 is the best I could do, still have room for 2 on top around the screen, 2 hanging behind but anything above 11.2 and I'll have to live on my own.

At least, no more fight for the sweet spot and/or the remote.

3. burnttoys
    Facepalm

WAIT A MINUTE!!

She's a Samsung booth babe!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/201109014887.jpg

I saw her here http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/live-from-samsung-ifa-2011-press-event/

Or... is she a "celeb" I've never heard of?!

4. IE User

Eh...

when I was younger I couldn't afford such stuff, now my 'retina' will soon be happy with VGA

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Hi-Res, yes please!

OK, so you get 15" laptops with 1920x1080 pixel displays (2MP), but proper photo monitors with proper colour space start at about 24" and still only 1920x1200.

Where is my 24" monitor with this resolution and good colour space?

6. Sooty

8k4k

isn't quite 7680 x 4320... that's 7.6k4.3k

1. stucs201

True, but its a great resolution

4320 is an integer multiple of all of 480, 720 and 1080, so existing content will scale more easily.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Significant figures

They're not saying 8.0k x 4.0k though. Strictly speaking, taking it to two significant figures would give you 7.7k x 4.3k. But when expressed to one significant figure, as one does with the “K” notation, 8k x 4k is entirely correct.

7. JDX Gold badge

22.2?!

Just wear a set of headphones...

8. thesykes
    WTF?

how many speakers?

22.2 surround sound? damn, have to brick up the windows and doors, need the walls for all those speakers!

9. Robert E A Harvey

But

If all there is to watch is "Big Bother", why should I, err, bother?

10. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I saw a similar high res machine on display

It was a 6k3k demo AFAIK. The models on display on it did not really like the result, as it showed all kinds of blemishes on the skin ordinary HD does not. Make-up artists will have to go to new lengths to keep Hollywood stars looking picture perfect (silicone skin anyone?)

11. Yag
    Trollface

Neat!

What a great set! I'll buy it ASAP for watching the latest reality show or worthless sitcom!

12. DrXym

All those pixels

And absolutely nothing that will benefit from it for any time in the foreseeable future.

13. a_been

The real question is

Who's the red head?

14. Lottie

Pr0n!!

I fear that telly may scar the minds of folk watching pr0n. All the tit job scars and genital pustules in full hi-res. eeew

15. -Jester-
    Happy

@ a_been

Main IFA girl?

http://www1.messe-berlin.de/vip8_1/website/Internet/Internet/www.ifa-berlin/englisch/index.html

16. Clive Galway

Do we need ANOTHER aspect ratio?

All this upping of resolution is nice but why do we need ANOTHER aspect ratio? Between cinema aspects, regular 4:3, widescreen 16:9/16:10 we have plenty of standards - do we really need to add 2:1 into the mix?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like