back to article Ford unwraps Evos cloud-connected concept car

Now, we're not sure we entirely approve of a cloud-connected car capable of resetting your alarm clock - also net linked - because a colleague has delayed a meeting, but that's the vision Ford pitched today at IFA. It gave a taster of Evos, a concept car it will be unveiling at the Frankfurt Motor Show in a few weeks' time, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam
    Trollface

Nice Vapourware Concept Car

It's a pity real Fords are still crappy rust buckets eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

As heard in playgrounds across the land:

Rusty tin and bits of cord,

That's what goes to make a Ford....

2. Piloti

@Goat Jam.......

First on Rubbish Dump ?

Fix It Again Tony ?

Massive Gaff ?

and my favourite : Bloody Lousy.

Of course Rover is now Chinese Made Badged in Brum Shite......

No acronym, but accurate.

P.

1. Matthew 3

Acronyms

You forgot this one:

Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious

3. ByeLaw101
      Facepalm

Rust buckets?

My wife has a 10 year old Fiesta with 140,000 miles on the clock, no rust.

I have a 4 year old Mondeo with 101,000 mile son the clock, no rust. Nice car as well for popping up and down the motorway!

I also believe the Mondeo was best in it's class for a few years ... so maybe not that crappy after all?

4. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Rust buckets?

Mines 11 years old and not a spot of rust on it, never been garaged and hardly washed in the last 4 years...then again, maybe the dirt has protected it.

5. Matt Devney
      Holmes

Looks like...

...an Aston.

So, you could probably get a Ford that looks like that, but would have to pay perhaps a 10000% premium with a different badge on it. You choose :-)

1. Dr Insanity

<Insert Title Here>

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought it.

Aston have had that distinctive grill shape in one form or another for best part of 60 years, I'm not sure if I'm happy or outraged to see it displayed so proudly on their more reasonably priced cousins

6. Lottie

Helping the economy you mean!

They may be rust buckets, but they keep the filler/ glass fibre/ spray paint/ spares industry running :-)

Or at least mine does...

7. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

Uh-huh

Actually, modern Fords are some of the best value for money cars on the roads today. But do keep spreading the bollocks, won't you? It keeps the prices nice and low for those of us who appreciate a bargain.

GJC

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True

Didn't someone once say that Ford (or was it GM) was a pension company with a car making arm?

Anyhow, their products are definitely built by accountants, with built-in obsolescence.

Yet the public keep buying 'em because they always have.

They are the Dell of the car world.

1. Turtle_Fan

That was GM

I think you're referring to the ex-GMAC GM's leasing and banking business.

It's now called, Ally and is a State Owned Enterprise.

2. Turtle_Fan

Is it just me...

who thinks this grille is awfully similar to aston martin's?

Good looking thing, too bad it will remain a concept.

3. irish donkey
    Boffin

Looks really nice

untill you spot the Ford badge on it

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nice...

I'm sure we'll see the gadgetry but what we won't see is what's found on all the concept cars ... thin, but comfortable looking bucket seats and non-round steering wheels.

5. Ian Stephenson
    Thumb Up

Now that looks one mean mother of a car

Has a touch of Aston Martin to the grille.

6. Pen-y-gors

interesting doors

look pretty, but try getting in or out when it's pissing down and you'll end up with a car full of water.

7. TheOtherHobbbes

Excellent

What does it run on?

Photoshop?

8. Piloti
    Thumb Up

Aston Martin.....

Is this the car AM should be building ?

I /can/ see this with the posh badge on the front. Very nice....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love the doors

The doors are lovely.

10. James Hughes 1

Cloud?

So, let me get this straight - cloud connected means it has a wireless (of some description) internet connection? And... that's basically it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloud

Sure that's all this Cloud business buzzword is.

INTARNETS.

Serious Business.

11. James Micallef Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice car

Looks like they've copied the grille and some styling from Aston Martin and the seat / interior layout looks similar in concept to an Alfa Romeo / Bertone concept at last year's Geneva motor show. Cloud-sourced gimmicks? No objection if they are just suggesting alternate routes and finding free parking spots, as long as they have zero interaction with the functional controls.

12. Penguin
    Unhappy

This makes me sad

It makes me sad to see a car like this - I just wish that they would actually build that. The hints of Mustangs old and new in the lights, grill and nose are fantastic styling cues, really call on the heritage. The side view is pure Aston Martin though - The wheels even look like the ones on the Rapide. Those quarter panel rear doors are just pure indulgence and absolutely lovely .

I hope future Fords really take the design style and run with it - you can say a lot about Ford but they really can develop a look over a product life - Just look at the new Focus.

13. Wibble
    Unhappy

Concepts are destroyed by the MBAs...

Ford concept cars, in common with all manufacturers, are great and really show great design and innovation.

Then they get strangled by the bone-headed MBA-trained "managers". Hence they end up with a set of revolting bland products that all share some pointless worldwide family relationship. Think how there's little difference between the Ka, Fiesta and Focus.

The old Ka was quirky. Marmite yes, but definitely unique. The new one is so bland it's not even worth describing (I can't even picture it in my mind such is its banal design).

They did it years ago with that utterly hideous Merkin-inspired fat-arsed bug-eyed Scorpio that flopped in Europe.

If only designers could give a damn about managing, or at least play the greasy pole game.

1. david bates

Google

LRX and Evoque...

14. Chris J

Clearly Ford were inspired by...

http://www.astonmartin.com/cars/v12-vantage

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ownership

Aston Martin. Whom Ford once owned.

Wonder did they keep a few designers and drawings on-side?

15. dogged

Damn.

That's pretty.

16. lawndart

says:

It looks nice, except for the front, which looks a little too Aston Martin for my taste, and not sure about the tiny headlight slits.

If they do a coupe version of the real thing and it handles as well as a Puma, I may be interested.

I may just keep the Puma anyway, though. 12 years old and still raises a grin every time I chuck it into a corner (so I do a lot of grins).

17. edward wright

Coins, keys etc.

Don't drop them on those seats...

1. Gamberoni
      Happy

Don't drop them on those seats...

... or put them in the door pockets!

18. The First Dave
    Boffin

untitled

Please stop pretending that a piece of software can ever be a solution to traffic jams - even now, when my main route to work is blocked, you can guarantee that the side roads will be jammed too - once all cars have software to do the same you merely guarantee that all roads will be equally jammed, and I might as well stay on the main road.

19. Alan Firminger

We have been here before

The deLorean prototype had gull wing doors, and everyone went ooooh .

Then it was demonstrated that to get in or out there must be over a metre of space at the side. And headroom so you can't park in a normal home garage unless you plan to sleep in the car.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doors

The doors can't make it in to a production vehicle because they'd be too heavy for those hinges to lift. Modern safety requirements require doors with steel side impact bars.

And, of course, you'd never get in to or out of the car in a multi-storey car park.

It does look pretty. Its profile reminds me of the AMV8.

@Wibble re: Ka - The new one is the same car as the Fiat 500. The old one was extremely popular. The new one - not.

@Lawndart re:Puma - I agree, it's a fantastic car. There are rumours of a new Puma to be built on the Fiesta chassis. Let's hope they find a decent engine to go in it.

21. b166er

MR

Doors: as shown, I doubt the vehicle would get a good enough ncap

22. Bobster

Very nice...

But it still doesn't fly.... FAIL

23. DRendar
    Alert

Cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud blah blah Bleugh!

s/cloud/internet/g

There, fixed it for you.

This topic is closed for new posts.