back to article Sony drives DAB+ motoring

Sony has announced its first DAB+ car radio that’s due to hit the road early next year. The CDX-DAB700U is touted as a CD receiver with DAB/DAB+/DMB-R support as well as FM/AM reception. Sony CDX-DAB700U If loading a CD seems a bit too 1980s for you, MP3, WMA and AAC discs are also playable as well as audio from USB flash …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Chard

Ugh, that display!

Was a proper dot-matrix display really too much to ask for? That horrible segmented display makes the whole thing look cheap.

1. Paul Shirley

to cheap looking to steal

Yes, it almost looks cheap enough no self respecting , Blackberry wielding rioter would steal it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hope it better than the last one.

I had one, and reading from USB flash drives was limited to 127 folders, after than it gave up. This was how it was supposed to work according to Sony UK, and it was a feature that I was only allowed to listen to music from A-H and nothing else...

Their Walkman comparability only actually meant their ancient range of ATRAC Walkmans and not their new Walkmans (obviously).

And when I asked if they were fixing the problems, they told me no.

Thanks Sony...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Eh?

I thought that the market for 'after market' Stereo's was a bit limited these days. Unless you are into Car Modding and putting 20Kw of Amps and huge Bass units into your car just so that you can deafen yourself and everyone within a 100m of your souped up rustbucket...

With the integration of the Stereo/Radio into the GPS units as is common with many current cars I fail to see a viable market for this sort of thing. IMHO, not many people will want to rip out their centre consoles, get handy with the hacksaw just to fit a unit like this.

Where's the iPod integration?

Where's the Android/Blackberry phone integration

Sorry Sony. Once again you have got it wrong. This unit whilst technically very nice seems like a throwback to the 1980's.

1. James Hughes 1

Digital switchover

Means a lot of cars are going to be without radio unless DAB is already built in. That should make the market a bit bigger.

And I've replaced the radio in my (admittedly old 2002) car because a) The one in it was shite b) Wanted SD and USB connectivity. I did need to replace a bit of fascia with new plastic - cost £5.

Radio four has never sounded better.

4. mfraz
    FAIL

DAB+

Why is everyone promoting DAB+ radios at the moment? They aren't going to work any better over here as we're still using the old DAB standard.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Some people take cars (or radios) abroad,

so we may as well standardise on a car radio that works with the best of other countries' DAB. It may be easier to build one radio into cars made for sale internationally, too.

I'd like a PC accessory for DAB radio digital recording, you can't get them any more, except for a radio with optical interface input. I've got two Pure Evoke-3 that record onto SD card, but the card slot is sticky, SD, and performs worse with "larger" cards above 128 MB :-O when you want to record, the USB transfer interface is USB 1 or 1.1 (moves audio at ~ 10 x play speed), and you can get a netbook PC for the same money.

If a car radio did better, I'd buy one, and I don't have a car.

5. Sam Liddicott

After all these years

After all these years why are Sony still using ghastly hard-to-read spider-writing displays.

If they think it's that good, why not put it in their ebook reader too...

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Won't sell many

As someone who always fits after market head units to his cars, I hope they don't expect to sell many of these. Fitting after market head units is getting harder and harder these days unless you fancy shelling out for a fitting service. It used to be a case of a 5 minute changeover with the supplied key tools. In my latest VW it's turned into 20 minutes of hell fiddling with torx screwdrivers and bits of plastic.

And even then there are the hidden costs. You'll need a new section of dash fashia for the unit to slot into + at least one adaptor to connect the unit to the car. You can easilly be looking at £50 for the various extra gubbins needed.

Then you have to remember it's DAB so you'll need an aerial upgrade. Sure you could fit the supplied window aerial but who wants that mess? And the chances are the reception will be degraded anyway.

So then you need to shell out more money for a new aerial which chances are you'lll need to have professionally fitted.

In all none of it is idea.

7. Pen-y-gors
    FAIL

wot?

no long wave?

8. Chris Byers
    FAIL

Windscreen arial!?

As a long time user of the Pure Highway DAB radio I found the arial they provided you with that you stuck to the inside your windscreen next to useless and getting any kind of reliable DAB signal was almost impossible. The purchase of the £15 external arial however removed all fo these problems. i would suggest to anyone looking to purchase an in-car DAB product to look at getting an external DAB arial. It also means you don't have to spend a day trying to remove the horrible adhesive that gets left behind on your windscreen when you remove it!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What digital switchover?

What digital switchover is that? FM switch-off for network radio isn't likely to happen for a very long time shirley?

10. SuperTim

Good ol' Sony.

I will be buying one so I can play all my homebrew* music.

It will let me do that won't it?

*by homebrew I mean legitimately acquired ... ahem.

11. andy gibson

Limited car fitting

Its all very well but we're slowly losing the ability to fit third party stereos into cars, unless you get third party manufacturers making surrounds to allow them to fit. But my experience has been they tend to look a little cheap and out of place from the original - particularly if its curved. And on my current car - Peugeot 407 - removing the radio would mean everything in that region - climate control, and some car settings - would stop working.

12. Vitani

1980s

Who had CDs in the 1980s? They only became readily available late in that decade. Maybe you're thinking of the 1990s? Or was that not long enough ago to make your point?

:oP

1. Shane Sturrock
      Childcatcher

CDs widely available in the 80's

I got my first CD player in 1986 as a rental bundle from Radio Rentals along with a VHS HiFi machine. HMV, WH Smiths etc all had decent racks of CDs available and covered most of what was available on vinyl. Most of my CDs date back to my flirtation with the format between 1986 and 1989 at which point I stopped messing with more and more expensive CD players culminating in a Cambridge CD2, bought a decent turntable and went back to vinyl.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like