back to article Subscribe to our hardware, says Brocade

Hoping to use its elbows against Cisco’s hold on the data centre market, Brocade has decided on a pitch to the bean-counters: switches that you pay for according to the ports you’re using. The "network subscription" pricing model, unveiled at VMWare’s cloud-fest VMWorld, works like this: Brocade will ship and install the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bigphil9009

Makes sense

This is like the model used in the enterprise tape library - someone like Quantum ships the unit to the datacentre, and you just pay by the slot. Need more slots? They come and install another whole unit, even if you're just using 10. Like the article says, the transformation from a CAPEX to an OPEX makes this even more attractive.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting concept

So long as they don't make it a condition that the ports are turned up with Official Brocade transceivers. Also, you would have to start dicking around with verifying Brocade billing is correct. Far too much aggro, so only possibly interesting for new build-outs.

Last 4 DCs I designed I only put Juniper MX routing in the backbone with Cisco aggregation routers behind and Cisco switching gear.

Brocade aren't really any cheaper for comparable backbone gear and I wouldn't change or introduce more complexity than JNPR/ CSCO into the network because of the risk of compatibility issues and also to reduce support complexity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err?

I was under the impression that this already happened? Maybe that last couple of companies that I worked for just had a good deal with our FC/Disk/Tape suppliers?

4. disgruntled yank

well,

As long as this isn't bait-and-switch

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

CAPEX vs OPEX

At the end of the day, if Brocade are using this as an excuse to double dip then there will be a loss of sales.

ie: They'd better make the hardware pricing damned attractive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like