back to article Samsung Tocco Icon budget mobile

While smartphones grab the headlines and an ever-increasing slice of the market, cheap 'n' cheerful feature phones that focus on the basic job of communicating have had to raise their game. Indeed, the Tocco Icon builds on Samsung’s Tocco Lite, upgrading the touch screen from resistive to capacitive and adding Wi-Fi. Samsung …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Looks like an iPhone.

Just sayin'.

2. Robert E A Harvey

"looks more swish than it actually is"

Ah, yes.

The 21st Century in a nutshell.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Battery life?

I wan't to replace my ancient moto with something more modern, but depsite being now several years old (whats MMS?), it still has a bettery battery life than most "smart" phones.

Guess I stick to replacing it with another "dumb" phone with a 3 month standby and 100+ hours talktime.

1. Jacqui

My tocco lite is now ancient

but it still gives roughly four days between charges.

But it is deffo not anything as good as a much cheaper android phone - apart from the camera!

Also remember samsung cancelled thier widget developer program andkilled the forums and dev site which means if you want to write a JS based widget for this phone you are doing it in the dark so to speak.

IMHO the tocco is a nice phone but a dead one - and samsung agrees!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

£100 cheap

Since when has a £100 mobile been cheap and cheerful. £20 is a budget phone.

Plus The Samsung Europa has GPS, WiFi, Android (ok a crap 2MP camera) and you can get it for £65.

5. Alfie

Dont understand

what Samsung have produced it for? It looks like it covers the same specs as the S5620 Monte, but without 3G or GPS with a newer TouchWiz release. Presumably it will have the same decent battery life as the Monte.

6. Shades

@Dave Oliver

Are you sure there is only three pages where you can add widgets? The first image on page one, with the five dot page indicator at the top of the screen, seems to suggest there is five pages.

7. Tim #3

Hmmm

Reasonably interesting, though is it me or are the sample pics a tad blurry?

And of the "budget Android for a similar price" phones, any suggestions?

1. M Gale

How about...

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/16/ten_essential_budget_android_smartphones/

I'd stay away from the ZTE Racer/San Fran though. I know it's had some favourable reviews, but after pulling it out of my pocket to find it had dialled the emergency services a whole load of times, it now has a permanent place on the Naughty Step. Same with any phone that allows the screen to be activated in your pocket.

1. Tim #3
        Pint

Cheers for that

Most handy

2. werdsmith Silver badge

My San Fran

My OSF has poor signal reception, bad call quality, rubbish camera, abominable battery life and dreadful build and reliability.

But that's all OK because you can load modded ROMs on it and play Angry Birds.

It's seriously the worst phone I ever had. People who like it are only using it as a Gameboy substitute.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Will it run iPlayer audio?

That's all that really counts.

I don't think it does.

9. John 62
    Boffin

Nokia Font

Did no-one tell them Nokia abandoned that font? I don't like it much, but it is quite legible when squished on a small phone screen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like