back to article Sony Android tablets in-bound

Sony will bring its Android tablet and would-be iPad beater, the 9.4in, 1280x800 Tablet S, to Europe this month. The flip-open Tablet P will be out here in the same timeframe. S1 and S2 tablets The 598g S is based on Nvidia's 1GHz Tegra 2 processor, and will come in 'Wi-Fi only' and 'Wi-Fi plus 3G' versions. The clamshell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Look nice.

At around the £300 notes mark, not too shabby price-wise either.

Unfortunately consumers are braindead and only buy/use what they know, that's why things like iPad, Firefox, XBox, Ford Focus and so on all sell, despite their being better and cheaper alternatives.

1. John 73
      WTF?

What makes you think it'll cost that little?

This being Sony, after all, I'd expect them to be a lot more. The P in particular is complex and small, which means expensive.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Eh?

Better and Cheaper than Firefox? err it's free

Better and cheaper than Xbox? The PS3 is more expensive, so the Wii?

Oh and I use neither.

3. DaveyDaveDave

How much did you pay...

for Firefox...?

4. Steve Evans

Are you sure about that price?

It almost sounds reasonable!

5. MGman

How much?

Where are you seeing £300?

All the reports I've seen have said prices are going to be in the region of:

Tablet S €479 (9.4″ Tablet)

Tablet P €599 (Dual screen)

I'm sure it would have a lot more hope of success at £300...

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Barry Shitpeas: Look nice.

Since when does Firefox cost any mulah?

Also it has a starting price very similar to the iPad (viz £399.00)

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sony-tablet-s/tab/overview

IMHO, the only unique feature of this device is the ability to control my TV etc using its ir connection.

However I forsee a repeat of the HP touchpad story here. Nice device but too expensive. It it were £300 in VAT then it would be far more attractive.

Sony == SO NearlY

7. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Buying?

last time i checked firefox was free

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Is everyone here a fucking idiot?

That's why I said BUY/USE

You don't buy Firefox (unless you visit a russion website selling it), but you certainly USE it. The other examples you do buy however.

Come on keep up...

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheaper/better than Firefox, Xbox?

Granted, there may be browsers better than Firefox (although pretty subjective), but what is a cheaper one given it's free?

And Xbox - the PS3 may be technically better - although in the couple of games I play there is essentially no difference - but I'm not sure what you're going to find that is better *and* cheaper?

Ford Focus - not sure what you get that is better as an overall package for the price - maybe you could enlighten us?

iPad - I'll pretty much concur with you on that, but there still isn't much to trouble it. A decent £300 findleslab should give it a run for its money though if the product is polished.

Labelling consumers en-masse as "brain dead" itself sounds a little brain dead. Some, consumers, sure, many, or even most, quite possibly, but we're all consumers, and I presume you don't regard yourself as falling within that category?

9. Blitterbug
      Happy

Barry! Awsome trollage.

...just saying

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Where's the demand?

There seems to be a struggle in getting Android tablets selling - I've got the Samsung Galaxy Tab - and I have to say they're inferior to the iPad in just about every respect. I reckon Sony will end up with a warehouse full of unsold hardware.

1. M Gale
      Trollface

You have a Galaxy Tab?

I don't believe you, whoever you are. Steve Jobs, more than likely.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Then you bought the wrong one.

I find it incredible that someone has worked out how to register on El-Reg forums, but can't work out basic principles that the most advertised, or the most popular device is rarely the best.

Consumers are mostly idiots and will buy what they know.

There are several iPad2 beating Android tablets, the GalaxyTab may be close, but it's not one of them. For a truely ipad2 beater, try the Asus Transformer. However because it's not advertised between Coronation Street 99% of braindead shoppers will continue to just buy what they know.

3. Nya
    Facepalm

Will wait for the fire sale - thanks but no thanks!

At the £499 Sony wants for the Wi-fi Tablet P they can forget it. Think I'll wait for the fire sale when they can't shift any at the silly price point.

Haven't manufacturers learned off the TouchPad that it doesn't matter if it hasn't got a Iphad name on it as long as it looks shiny and is cheaper it'll sell! Come on Sony, these both look very nice, but you can't get market share by selling it higher than the entrenched market leader.

4. Mark C Casey

Umm, price of £300? Nope.

The cheapest version of the tablet s is £400 and the only version of the tablet p is £500 (direct from Sony's UK site)

Don't get me wrong, it looks interesting and all. But until the pricing gets to realistic levels these are going to be relegated to niche.

5. wretched42
    Trollface

wow

better and cheaper alternatives to firefox? where?

6. Pen-y-gors

Won't sell...

it's not got rounded corners....

7. Geoff Thompson

If the price is right...

Lots of people (I almost wrote punters) do buy what they know, but Sony has a very good reputation, and I think these could sell, particularly to the many who have yet to buy a tablet.

8. Stuart 22
    FAIL

Clamshell: Good idea but will it movie?

Clamshell seems a good idea. Halves the footprint making it pocketable and avoids having to buy an expensive flip case to protect the screen.

But watching movies will be barred!

1. Marvin the Martian
      Pint

Thought the same.

Saves the weight + bulk + cost of a screen protector/case.

I'm holding out till they replace glass screens with rolled-up-silver-screens + projectors.

9. Chris 171
    Go

Ahh, finally my anti-ipad

Yup this is the one for me, I thought I had overcome my Sony gadgetlust but seems not.

Ive always liked the 'first' of any new form factor from Sony.

I dont really need one but thats not stopped any other tablet buyers has it....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like