back to article Sony to ship VR-style 3D headset in November

The 3D headset Sony showed off at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas this past January will finally go on sale in November - though only in Japan. Sony 3D BD specs Each pair sticks a tiny 1280 x 730 OLED before each eye, and they also incorporate a set headphones linked to on-board decoding to simulate 5.1 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. banana-naan
    FAIL

Blu-ray disc buffs

are going to love 730 lines!

2. Andrew Tyler 1
    Thumb Up

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

Hopefully this is popular enough to warrant a few follow up models. When they have a set at 1080p with head tracking, I would probably be pretty interested.

3. stu 4
    Boffin

glasstrons upgraded

good to see sony re-entering the eye display market - their glasstrons were some of the best out there at the time (2000 ish).

I have 4 pairs of eye glasses

- the olympus eyetrek (low res but great optics)

- a cheap chinese LCOS 640x480 pair (crap contrast, and now cannibalized to give me a monocle display for vewing the gopro video output when I am flying my paramotor

- a pair of VUZIX VGA jobs - good to use with PC, but optics not great.

- a set of eyetop monocle jobs built into a set of shades (good but bulky cables/control unit)

The market has been crying out for a good set of HD glasses with quality OLED panels and excellent optics. If sony can do that, I'll be in the line.

No mention of motion/gyro support which is a pity for gaming support. :-(

4. CareTaker
    Coat

So...

When can I buy the version that shoots big fat red lasers out of the front?

Mine is the yellow and blue lycra all in one.

5. Simon 79

Oh come on....

So "most" users will exclude the UK where the usual currency conversion of $600 = £600 will prevail.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Haku

Optics

Video glasses work because they have optics that focus the light from the screens in such a way that it appears to be feet/meters away from your eyes instead of millimeters.

Ever played on a Tomytronic 3D game? Same principal, better optics.

7. Monty Burns

bit better looking than the 80's ones...

that were at the Trocadero, Amiga powered iirc (which I might not!)....

US$600 is a bit steep though, wonder how quickly they will come down?

8. Matthew Taylor

VR immersion requires much larger field of view

There have been a few such headsets around in recent years, but they all seem to simulate a screen viewed at a distance, much as one might watch a television - a field of view of 20-30 degrees. This is a far cry from the 110-120 degree view required for the immersive experience that VR is supposed to be.

I have long wished for such an immersive display - but have never found one. Of course such a field of view would not be suitable for watching a film on, (even IMAX is only 70 degrees or so) - which perhaps puts manufactureres off. Still, games could work well - as long as the accelerometer tech is REALLY tightly coupled with the view direction!

1. Charles 9

It also leads to Simulation Sickness

Unless the VR visor is VERY accurate in following the movements of your head on all three axes, your eyes will start to conflict with the rest of your senses because the information fed by your eyes won't match up with, say, your ears. The end result is the dreaded "simulation sickness": motion sickness while standing/sitting still. That's a big reason most VR visors don't completely obscure your outside view; with at least a reference to reality visible, the eyes have a chance to recognize the VR image for what it really is (a simulation) and ignore it, keeping your eqilibrium intact.

9. xeroks

Very Portal

but I think I prefer the vuzix ones..

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html

10. Ralthor

Fixed

Sony isn't setting a price for the headset - officially called the HMZ-T1 - but it said it reckons most buyers will NOT pay the equivalent of $600 (£369). ®

11. GottaBeKidding

Currency conversion again!

Buyers should expect to pay $600 (£600). We all know how this works by now.

12. Haku
    Thumb Up

HD HMD? in 3D? About time!

I have two sets of Sony's previous venture into HMD displays, the Glasstrons; PLM-A35 (a paltry 266x225 res.) and some PLM-S700's (a respectable 832x624 res.).

Aside from the crappy resolution of the A35's, both are comfortable to wear for long periods of gaming/film watching, have good audio and most importantly - superb optics, unlike the Rimax range, the i-Theater range and the (3D capable) Zeiss Cinemizers which all suffer from 'rainbow' ghosting and dark corners due to poor optics.

So here's hoping that Sony do things right again and produce some affordable video glasses that give the competition a run for their money. Competition being the likes of the ageing Magin Z800 3DVisor, a lightweight 800x600 res set which cost a whopping $1500.

13. The Indomitable Gall

You too can...

You too can look like Daft Punk while watching the latest films. Cool.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

I recall reading rumours that this tech was being lined up for the PS4. Not sure PS3 VR is a good idea. In the mid-late 90s VR acquired a bad reputation that still hasn't gone away.

15. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I reckon

most buyers won't pay the equivalent of $600.

Maybe they could try $99 in six month's time.

16. Tom 38
    Thumb Up

Yep

I'd pay £400 for one.

17. Sampler

Make it wireless

And knock a third of the price and I'm interested - as long as your view shifted with it using gyroscope sensors or something - otherwise it's going to be pretty disorientating moving the head and the image staying as is.

Definitely stop the other guy in two player looking at your screen.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And it will work with which platforms

I'm interested in this kind of product, but if they only work with PS3 and Sony Blu-Ray devices, then I can't use them as I have neither of those.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Ideas

just had a brilliant idea that I am going to be contacting the manufacturers about for something which will make conventional 3-D goggles look like a children's toy.

Hint:- it involves some very clever optics used in a novel way.

:-)

20. Steven Raith
    Facepalm

Bring back....

...the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

All is forgiven, it seems.

It'd be interesting to see if there was any patent crossover between Nintendo and Sony on this, given the vague similarity of the designs, mind - any prior art anyone?

Steven R

21. fieldy
    Thumb Up

hmm

looking forward to taping my track IR to this bad boy..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like