back to article Sky makes iPad trolley for square-eyed shoppers

No, despite Sky's effulgent press release, you are not going to be able to watch Sky while you wheel a trolley round Sainsbury's - thank the beardy bloke up there - for some time, if ever. Sky today pitched the notion - a supermarket trolley with a bolted on iPad 2 running the satellite broadcaster's Sky Go app - as a means by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Big O
    Joke

title

I want one!

2. Ian Stephenson
    Holmes

Are they going to waterproof it?

Most supermarket car parks are outdoors.

Not to mention the number of trolleys that end up dumped in the canals/rivers/streams etc.

Don't think Apple's warranty covers that.....

3. James 12
    FAIL

Free iPads

iPad trolley + Van = gone

1. JohnG

Free iPads

...or:

Several iPad trolleys + boltcutters = several iPads gone

4. Chrissy
    FAIL

Trolley > Canal

If those bits of pimply floor at the perimeter gaps of supermarket car parks can't prevent trolleys ending up in canals or becoming the grill component of a DIY brick barbecue, how many seconds does Sky think it will be before those iPads "disappear", with or without the trolley?

5. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Square-eyed ...

but rounded corners (tm)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why?

See title ...

7. Alan 6
    FAIL

Sky must think we're all idiots

Mind you, anyone who stumps up the monthly fee to subsidise the multi-millionaire footballers lifestyles isn't exactly firing on all cylinders...

1. Olafthemighty
      Black Helicopters

They don't have to think.

They already know.

2. BrownishMonstr

Advantage

there's nothing wrong with taking Advantage of idiots for your own gain.

8. JohnG

Trolley marshals

Does this mean the supermarkets will have to employ iPad support staff in place of their regular trolley marshals?

"That's not what I meant by "swipe"."

9. PsychicMonkey
    Facepalm

is it

April already?

10. JohnKeleher
    FAIL

Price Comparisons

Wouldn't you just fire up Safari to see if the box of Shredded Wheat you had picked up is cheaper at Tesco?

11. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Think of the children

Swivel it around and the trolley iPad could keep the little ones entertained while mommy fills the wired chariot with monthlies

Let's just hope that little princess doesn't become frustrated and beat the crap out the device with a can of spaghetti!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

tough shit on the mums...

...especially if little Prudence the 3rd likes to ride in the baby seat...

13. Velv
    FAIL

Solar panel?

Why a solar panel to power it off the shop lights?

Surely a dynamo to power it off the rotation of the wheels.

Shirley?

14. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Brilliant!

I wonder if the mount would also fit on the handlebars of my motorbike?

15. Simon Harris
    FAIL

Sainsburys

If they're all anything like my local one, once you're between those high metal shelves, there's bugger all signal anyway!

16. paulsysp

patent pending.

Apples already applied for a Patent.

17. Paul RND*1000
    WTF?

Oh yay!

The excitement of dodging sullen teens too busy texting to look where they're going was starting to wear off, now it'll be shopping carts full of soft drinks and frozen microwave meals steered randomly by oblivious morons.

What are these geniuses working on next? iPad steering wheel mounts so you can play Angry Birds while driving?

18. Mr Young

OMG, real time streaming video?

Sky ads in my face while I'm in the supermarket! Have I died and gone to hell?

19. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Naff all use to anyone

when you go into my local Tesco's. The place is renowned as being a mobile Dead Zone. The building is like a huge Farraday Cage.

Even locals complain what they can't find out if hubby is down the pub while they are dragging their 6 screaming kits round the store.

Where's the MEGA fail icon when you need it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wifi

One could always try the novel idea of having the wifi antenna indoors.

20. irrelevant

byebye

Local Sainsburys offered mini trollies for the kiddies to push themselves, about 15 years ago. Even with stupid big poles on the top to make getting them outside tricky, they lost the lot within a couple of weeks. I can see these lasting considerably less time..

21. Stephane Mabille
    WTF?

Soooooo last year

Who is using supermarkets anyway??? iPad ordering while watching Sky in the sofa! (or put the iPad on the table and watch quality TV!)

22. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Boffin

It's all about timing

At the moment the best time to go shopping is "Prime Time" or as I like to call it "Sheep Time".

Anytime between 7pm and 10pm on a weekday the supermarket is pretty empty and almost totally devoid of trolley zombies. On the vague off chance that I might miss something interesting, I just record it.

As for the TrolliPad it'll never happen but just in case I claim Copyright on that name. ;-)

23. ukpm
    Joke

Apples in a supermarket — whatever next?

A dog driving a bus.

24. slhilly

Erm...

If I have a shopping trolley with an iPad on it, I'm going to use a shopping list app, not Sky.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like