back to article Next-gen Atom benchmarks show big boost for GPU

Netbooks based on Intel's upcoming 'Cedar Trail' Atom CPUs - the N2600 and N2800 - may not show a big processing performance leap over their predecessors, but they will sport smart graphics core. So say benchmark tests carried out on the new Atoms for VRZone by erstwhile Reg Hardware Reviews Ed Lars-Goran Nilsson. 3DMark 06 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

sounds like they are copying amd

The fusion products have suited netbooks well. What's intel's excuse for not improving raw performance though? Worried that it would eat into more profitable business?

2. xj25vm

Battery life

The main thing I was hoping for out of a new generation of Atom processors would have been a better battery life, better power consumption. A 20%-30% drop in power consumption, for roughly same speeds would have been really nice. It would have given some chance to x86 (and hence proper Linux) based tablets with 10 hours real battery life. Alas, not a chance with the Cedar Trail then. How in the world do Intel hope to get closer to the mobile/tablet market? By keeping power consumption steady at current levels?

The increased GPU performance might be useful to others though. From where I'm standing, waste of a whole new generation of CPU's though. Give us a 1GHz clocked Atom - with amazing power consumption - and I'm sure it would be enough to drive a tablet or modest speed netbook - with a really long battery life.

3. Michael Duke

Not a big surprise.....

A 4 year old child with a pack of crayons has more graphics horsepower than the current Atoms.

The GMA950 struggles with 2D rendering and its 3D performance hardly counts with anything more demanding than a browser or basic flash content.

1. Shades
      Stop

That's odd...

... I'm pretty sure my Atom based NC10 Netbook is currently rendering a complex comp in After Effects while I'm listening to MP3s and typing this. Yes, I know its not as fast as a full blown desktop, I knew that when I got it, but its massively convenient and literally goes every I go.

The NC10 is also not below some pretty heavy online sessions of (the admittedly old, but still very much active) Unreal Tournament with everything turned up full and with TeamSpeak running... even when tethered wirelessly to my phone!

My netbook has even been used to DJ with in nightclubs/bars, with a hardware controller, controlling intelligent lighting rigs and providing video for the clubs/bars screens... sometimes all remotely controlled via VNC on my phone, great for when nature calls or you want a drink.

So what were you saying about the Atom?

I'm willing to bet the only Netbooks you've used are ones loaded with shedloads of cruft, dragging them down to the point of uselessness! I know someone with another Samsung netbook who has a ridiculous amount of unnecessary "helper" services running in the system tray and an (IE) browser window literally half filled with dodgy toolbar addons. You can imagine what the rest of the machine was like... I gave up trying to advise the owner of that particular machine!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Stupid Question

Can I retro fit it in my EeePC?

5. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Golly!

Considering that the GPU in the current Atom is totally crap, these are like, a bit less totally crap?

Consider me unimpressed.

6. P. Lee
    Meh

All I want for Christmas...

Is a system rated to 50 degrees ambient temperature which doesn't cost an arm and a leg ((diddy-boom!) Not everyone lives in the cool-temperate climate zone.

Low-powered file server required.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like