back to article Apple vs. Samsung: next round today

The next round of Apple vs. Samsung in Australia is due to take place this morning (August 29), Sydney time, with a directions hearing before Justice Bennett of the Federal Court of Australia at 9.15am. Don’t get too excited, however: a directions hearing is a merely procedural matter, in which the court indicates to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Esdaile
    Devil

And the winner is.....

the LAWYERS!

Again!

Everyone gets a Maseratti!

2. LaeMing
    Go

OR

order from offshore.

But that's another article entirely!

3. Steve Evans

They're holding back the big guns...

Namely Star trek and their tablets, see next generation and deep space nice, both from the 1990s.

1. dave 46

Nah, not the same

Tablets can hold more than one document at a time.

Did you never notice when they wanted to show someone was really busy they'd have a stack of these little tablet devices? Like, look at me, I've got 20 reports to read, so I've got 20 tablets!

Actually I've just thought, how are we going to look busy in the future?

4. DavCrav

Why ridiculous?

"...and with the case descending to the ridiculous level of citing Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey as prior art for tablet computers..."

Why is it ridiculous? Apple says it has a patent on the *design* of a tablet, not on anything mechanical. There are numerous examples of tablets in science fiction film/TV, all looking very similar to the iPad. Therefore there is prior art, with the use of the word "art" being entirely justified in this case!

1. Deltrak_Ames

Obvious?

One could also make a case, I think, for that particular shape and method of use being "obvious", which ISTR prevents an idea being patented under US law at least. But certainly it has appeared in all manner of SF stories, visual and verbal, since way before Apple (the infringer of Beatles' rights, IIRC) existed.

5. cexcells
    Stop

Apples and Pears

I just wish it would all go pear shaped for apple.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Notification method...

I wonder, once iOS 5 is out, will Google sue Apple for copying the Android notification method?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Samsung in oz court

Since when is prior art ridiculous in these sorts of battles?

Sadly Samsung don't stand a chance in an Oz court against a U.S. company. Oz has been Americas bitch for years. What corporate u.s.a tells american politicians is law, what u.s. politicians tell Oz politicians is law, ergo Samsung will lose no matter how unjustified...

8. Rosco

Oooh, an article mentioning Apple

I'd like to take this opportunity to state how much I dislike Apple and all their products and that I think they're overpriced and while I'm on about that, the iPad is useless and only brainwashed fanbois would ever buy one and how can anyone think Steve Jobs was good he was rubbish and the tech world is better off without him because I just hate him and a phone should just be a phone, none of this internet rubbish and so on and so on

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

FFS

You can't even troll/flame correctly.

You've got the rambling, raving nutter and no-full-stops thing down to a tee; you even get bonus points for getting the Steve jobs good/bad contradiction statement in under 10 words.

But remember, you need to swear more and use MORE CAPS and exclamation marks.

30% for effort, 50% for results. Must try harder.

1. DavCrav

NO

"But remember, you need to swear more and use MORE CAPS and exclamation marks."

YOU DON'T NEED MORE CAPS TO BE A TROLL. MANY TROLLS ARE EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE WITHOUT CAPTIAL LETTERS!!!!!111

(Clearly I'm not a troll, as I used an apostrophe...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like