back to article US judge: Warrant required to access mobile location data

The US government should have to obtain a warrant before mobile phone providers have to hand over multiple geolocation data records about customers, a US judge has said. In Europe, privacy watchdogs have called on geolocation data to be classed as personal data, information that can be used to identify someone. EU data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Solomon Grundy

Yay!

That is all.

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Happy

Help!

Hello, Help Desk, you there?

So, I downloaded the Version 4th Upgrade and now my Smart Phone doesn't work - all you can do is make phone calls.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Good on the judge!

see title

3. thenim

judge with some common sense...

may be all hope is not lost for the merkins after all!!

4. Armando 123

Wait a second

"Warrant required to access mobile location data"

I thought their lead singer just died, though.

Mine's the one with the Enuff Z'Nuff cassette in the pocket

5. joe.user
    Stop

As long as you technical people comply with assisting these spies, YOU are part of the problem

Don't drink the kool-aid, they stroke your ego and shove the rest of us under the surveillance bus. They can't do it without you and don't be fooled into the power that you think you posses. You are a puppet.

6. g e

And what about

The companies that have been collecting this data on their device users?

1. Scotty 3

The Constitution

Unfortunately I believe the ruling would apply to the government only. The Constitution is to protect the People from their government.

7. dervheid
    Pint

What?

A Judge that actually has a full set of balls. And an ounce or two of common sense ( and knows his Orwell!)

Can we give him a job here...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No biggie

As long as there is a legit reason to obtain the data, law enforcement will.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Thumb Up

That's the thing

It seems that often there isn't a legit reason. They just want to collect it all and try to fit it all together.

The judge said that they can have the data, that's no problem; they just have to justify it ("I was curious", or "I wanted everybodies data to mine" just doesn't cut it)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some true Americans ARE still in office.

It's nice to see an official who still takes his oath of office seriously, and is not swayed by others.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Someone buy that judge a beer!!

That is all....

11. Steven Roper
    Thumb Up

This is a great example of why

separation of the judiciary and legislature is a founding pillar of any democratic government system. The government legislates, and then the judiciary tells them whether or not they're full of shit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like