back to article Chinese PLA video shows cyber-attack software

It’s being called an accident, but it could also be a show of force: a piece of state propaganda from China shows an attack being launched against Falun Gong computers. New York-based newspaper The Epoch Times says this image, taken from a TV spot aired in July, shows the software in use. The newspaper translates the labels …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UAB - more than just baskeball !!!

probably not good for their rep. either, since claiming that an address hasn't been used in 7+ months doesn't necessarily mean what that spokesman thinks it means. It just means that it hasn't been logged...and let's face it, if you're going to use the LOIC against an enemy, you certainly wouldn't want it to be logged.

2. Head
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

This is why i never buy anything with a 'Made in China" tag/sticker on it.

1. Elmer Phud
      Holmes

Hmmm?

I take it you've carefully checked the machine you use for making comments

Or don't some things count?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

erm

Where do you think all those capacitors come from that are on your mobo/PSU/? What about the fans in your box etc

1. Ru
        Meh

Re: erm

Japan.

But thanks for taking an interest.

3. Framitz

Really?

I find it difficult to find products that are NOT made in China here in the US.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Epoch Times...

...is a newspaper owned by Falun Gong. Just saying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who do you believe?

Just asking.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Who do I believe?

Neither/both. I have no knowledge and therefore no opinion that is worth anything.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

An incovenient truth

Facts can be annoying to anyone that holds an opposite position to those facts. Did someone really vote me down for stating a fact? I'd have thought people would have appreciated a very pertinent fact that was missing from the original article. All I was pointing out is that the Epoch Times is hardly a neutral news source.

Just in case the down voter doubts that it was a neutral comment I'd like to state that I support neither the fascist government in China nor a bunch of loony religionists. All clear now? Thank you.

4. Sadako
    Pirate

PLA?

I thought for a moment there that China had a branch of the Phone Losers of America. If this were true then I worry about China trying to hack into McDonalds using toasters...

5. IDidntDoIt
    IT Angle

Open computers are evil

For years now UAB has had all of their on-campus computers exposed to the internet without a firewall. It was only a matter of time before something bad happened.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Point'n'click

Ohh noes! Point-and-click software = it HAS to be superhackers, plus their are from China :S

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

Probably more like the LOIC thing.

7. Alan Brown Silver badge
    FAIL

Forged IP is trivial.

You only need to use your own IP address when you expect something to come back.

I never understood why LOIC never used forged source packets - the usual method is to use the IP of the target.

The amount of filtering of bogus IP traffic on the Internet is still as woefully inadequate as it was back in 1995 when I first found script kiddies using en-masse IP flooding to take out things they didn't like (they were targetting some of my customers)

In other words, pay no attention to the source IP being shown - the fact that it's tunable shows that it's allowing for forgery creation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like