back to article ASA bitchslaps Motorola on 'most powerful' Atrix boast

The UK's Advertising Standards Agency has upheld complaints about the TV ad for Motorola's Atrix, which stated that the gadget was "the world's most powerful smartphone". Two complainants, who either felt enraged enough by this hyperbole to comment or were feeling particularly brand-loyal, said they believed that the Samsung …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Ha, ha...

...busted!

On the other hand, them's some pretty dedicated fandroids to formally complain about it. I mean, really - is this the worst thing in the world to be complaining about?

Here - have a beer and chill out.

1. Johntron
      Meh

Not that it matters

Who cares? It's not like people buy things just because ads say they are the best, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

I wish other governing bodies

were as efficient as the ASA.

2 complaints and something was done.

Hear that, OFCOM?

3. Bassey

Not sure

I'm not sure Motorola were actually in the wrong here. Why does "most powerful" have to mean "fastest"? Why can't "Most Powerful" mean "capable of more" which, given the various docking options and desktop browser, you could argue DOES apply to the Matrix?

Not that I give a shit either way and, as always with the ASA, the punishment is simply "don't run that advert you stopped running ages ago".

1. Jeremy Chappell
      Holmes

Err

Who is going to think of it that way? "Most powerful", and it isn't - seems pretty open and shut.

1. Bassey

Re: Err

Okay, so which is the most powerful? The big tractor thingy that tows (towed) the shuttle to the launch pad or a Bugatti Veyron? The Veyron is the fastest but it isn't the most powerful by a long shot. I'm just pointing out there is more to power than simply being the fastest.

4. M Gale
    Pint

Prefix "Probably".

Worked for Carlsberg.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: Not sure

You shouldn't be able to say things in ads you can't back up. So this is a nonsense claim that doesn't mean anything, right? Well then you can't prove it and you should get fined for saying it.

6. Steve Brooks

Oooh look, a car analogy!

"Why can't "Most Powerful" mean "capable of more".......When you can advertise a car as being the "most powerful in the world" when you add the output power of its stereo system, the actuators that control its auto-asjusting seats and the motors that power its windwscreen wipers to the power of its motor, then Motorola has a point.

7. Jean-Paul

Then again

If Samsung is not no longer allowed to sell their lightweight useless but for fandroids highlighly specced phone, Motorola could be right :)

Still a case of the highest specs dont make the fastest phone. iPhone 4 has got that cornered well and truly :)

8. Fab De Marco

Ahhh Adjectives thou art a Heatless bitch

What does powerful mean? What does cabable mean, hell what does fastest mean. Jean-Paul has clearly attempted to wave the red rag to the bull at Android users but is did get me thinking. OK so lets say I buy into the premise that iPhone 4 is the fastest. Fastest at what? making a phone call, sending a text message, loading angry birds?

It is not quantifiable. What is quantifiable are benchmark tests. They test different aspects of the phone. Which if you do google, I think you'll find the iPhone 4 fairly low down in comparrison to the equivalent Android devices.

1. M Gale

Heatless bitch?

Have they been spayed?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like