back to article Harvey Norman drops HP’s TouchPad

HP’s TouchPad tablet has been erased from the Australian market following the decision by retailer Harvey Norman, the exclusive local distributor of the device, to pull it from shelves. The move follows HP’s unexpected decision on Thursday (US time) to withdraw all investment in WebOS devices. Globally, HP said it was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shocking news!!!

I couldn't believe this news. I'm still scooping my jaw off the floor and in need of a brandy to calm my nerves.

Harvey Norman actually contacted their own customers to offer a refund for something off their own backs — Without being surrounded by the entire Australian army who ended up prising the dollars out of Harvey's cold dead hand?!!!!!!!

Oh, and I also see HP killed off Palm, for good this time. Inevitable.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Ethical behaviour from Harvey?

That has to be a first!

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Hooray for responsibility!

Or simple cynical self-interest:

Back in the 1990s Dick Smith sold an internet phone console thingie (like the Amstrad one in the UK but with less than half the functionality) that could only be used via a special server - which cost upwards of $20,000 plus steep annual support fees, so no ISP in their right mind would buy it to support a dozen clients.

It was only ever supported in AU/NZ via a test server setup by a university as a favour to the distributor. Several years later the machine the server software ran on got old and was switched off, but with no ageements in place and noone left who knew anything about said server software, that all went away too.

Dick Smith were forced to offer a full refund for every single unit sold - which amounted to about $500,000 and a shedload of bad publicity (not their fault, they weren't the importer - who conveniently (*) went toes up within a few days).

As an ISP, I assessed one unit and reviewed it as "slow, flawed, no more than a toy - and why the hell should I pay that much money for a software which will only be of use to about 5 customers?" - they didn't like me after that... :)

(*) Convenient for the company owners. They were up and running under a new trading identity within a couple of weeks having neatly dodged any legal responsibility that retailers might have tried to drop on them.

4. Goat Jam

This does not bode well for HP

They are one of the few retailers that don't stock apple gear and I reckon they were hoping that being the go to guys for the touchpad would give them an alternative product.

1. Rob Dobs
      Facepalm

Save WebOS

Call HP and let them know you like WebOS (assume you do if reading this article)

Tell them keep or sell WebOS, that there ARE some of us out there who want a choice outside of Apple or Androids. Fax them too,

I am not, but if I were an HP stockholder I would also make sure to mention to fire apothosis or whatever his name is before he destroys the company completely

Hewlett-Packard Company

3000 Hanover Street

Palo Alto, CA

94304-1185

USA

Phone: (+1) 650-857-1501

Fax: (+1) 650-857-5518

2. Faceless Man

Really?

They don't stock Apple gear? Someone better tell them that, since they keep advertising it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So What ... ?

Which products HN stocks is becoming irrelevant. They are struggling, and predicting that things will get worse.

The realitiy is that people are looking elsewhere to buy their electronics: the price is better, the exchange rate makes it even better, and, most importantly, the service is better.

6. Kwac

Thanks HP

Was bought one of these as a gift on Thursday a.m., received call from Harvey Norman Friday PM, swapped for a Motorola Xoom this AM, no questions asked

Thanks for the service Harvey Norman, screw you HP.

7. ceebee

dropped ..sort of...

They pulled them from the shelves on Friday then after a hastily arranged meeting with HP Monday morning they, like BestBuy and other retailers in the US and elsewhere, began a firesale ... $98 for the 16gb version and $149 for the 32gb version..

Not sure of how well they are selling but they seem out of stock everywhere and hour after the went on sale at that price.

Suddenly HP has a "success" on its hands????

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Hardly Normals

I'd get my money back.

If it was bought at HN, then you paid way too much*.

* even if they were the only distributor.

9. DrXym

I'd pick one up for $99

The tech might be dead but a $99 browser tablet (as some places are purportedly flogging it for) isn't a bad deal by any stretch. I also expect in time someone will figure how to crack the tablet opening the possibility of hacking it, maybe even running Android on it.

10. Tony Paulazzo
    Mushroom

Screw HP

Pulled from Australia, selling for $100 Canadian in Canada and here in the UK, they're still on sale for £300 - yea well screw HP; that's the last laptop I buy from them (lol).

I WANT A £75 HP TABLET (complete guesswork on exchange rates there), NOW!

Grumble, whinge, moan, global village my shiny metal arse...

11. Miraclefish
    Flame

I wonder...

I'd buy one for £75-ish. If/when the price drop comes, there'll be a mad rush. You can no longer reserve one at the big three gadget sellers. I wonder if it'd be worth buying one at full price now then expecting a refund in the near future? Worst case scenario you can return it for a refund at full price...

12. HP Cynic

Perhaps I'm not cynical enough?

I called the tablet as DOA but expected an official admission of it's complete failure to gain market share to take a few months.

I suppose HP are to be applauded for being honest and yanking the WebOS stuff rather than flogging a dead horse.

13. KjetilS
    Pint

$99?

I would probably buy two if I could find them for $99 a pop :)

14. Chad H.

Harvey Norman in customer service shock!

Service from Harvey Norman?? - RELEASE THE FLYING PIGS

15. Raz
    Megaphone

Title is missing in non action

Here in Canada they disappeared completely from online stores on Friday evening, and on Saturday morning from all brick and mortar stores. HP sold more tablets than Apple, even for one day :) Now where are the rest of the 250,000 stocked by BestBuy, cause I missed this fire sale?

1. James O'Shea

too late

I just got back from the local BestBuy. As I walked in the door, the guy who was just in before me asked the yellowshirt at the door where the TouchPads were. He was told that they were all sold out. A check by phone to the other local BBs indicate that every TouchPad available within about 25 miles has been sold.

It seems that we now know how to shift a non-Apple tablet: cut the price to $100.

And, oh, yeah, that guy who walked in the door ahead of me... he went over to the Computer section and picked up an iPad. I had a look at a Xoom, but the only one on display was off and no blueshirt was willing to explain where Motorola hid the on switch this time, and when I pressed what seemed to be the obvious part it didn't turn on. Dead battery? Wrong switch? Who knows? (Just checked Moto's website, <http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Tablets/MOTOROLA-XOOM-with-WiFi-US-EN>. It appears that I did, indeed, find the on switch, so it wasn't charged, and none of BB's staff wanted to even try to sell me one. They were falling over themselves to sell the first guy an iPad, though. There's a lesson here...)

16. John Herz
    WTF?

Whew. nearly bought one 2 weeks ago

I got an email from HP offering me $100 off.(US) Still a bit too pricey for me, but I almost bit anyway.

Now I thank my deity of choice that I waited.

17. John Angelico

So it seems...

...that they failed the drop test?

Something an IBM Thinkpad would always be able to pass.

18. Chezstar
    FAIL

Not happy El Reg....

Didn't get this article until 7 hours ago, thanks for getting my hopes up for a cheap fondleslab.....They sold out 2 days ago.

Where is the priority notice to Registerians shouting for us to snap up a cheap piece of touchie-feely!

Dashed my hopes...Now I have to break it to the missus that she won't be able to get a tablet for web surfing on the couch.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like