back to article Google Book Search reveals scanner's sleight of hand

Google appears to be in a bit of a hurry to achieve its ultimate dark aim of indexing all of the world's knowledge, including humanity's entire literary output, as this image of an 1855 issue of The Gentleman's Magazine demonstrates: Google book scan showing woman's hand Quite what "Sylvanus Urban", the editor of this fine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash
    Paris Hilton

Oh dear lord...

... Do Miss Hilton's lady-friends own some?

Coat and scalf following in short order.

2. supermeerkat
    Alert

She appears to be wearing finger condoms....

The mind boggles.

3. Ian Ferguson
    Gates Halo

Does she use an iPhone?

Those finger-condoms look just like the ones punted for clean iPhone screen usage.

4. Mountford D

HTH

I know I should be coming up with a comment a la mode El Reg but seriously folks, they are finger grips. It's a thinner version of the rubber thimbles used by bank tellers to count large wads of cash and a more hygienic way of gripping paper than licking your fingers. And yes, it's the same material as condoms: rubber.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@HTH

Thanks. We already knew that, after the story about the over-expensive iPhone fingerbobs. That's why all those guys were making jokes about it, yeh?

HTH back atcha!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Gentleman's magazine - says it all

Nah, not an artefact. You're looking at a close-up of Miss June 1855 - "Tana, the naughty colonial nurse"

7. Keith T
    Coat

Wrong Title

I've come to expect more from the Reg with the headlines.

How about:

"Google Book scanner fingered." ?

8. David

Her fingers look burnt.

Exposing one's fingers to a photocopy machine day after day, results in red fingers and other possible side affects.

9. Daniel
    Unhappy

Overheard at the googlecopier :

"only another 675 pages to go ...... and then I get to start on Rob Roy."

It may not quite be the most boring job in the world, but it most be close. Stock options and free flying lessons or not.

This topic is closed for new posts.