back to article iPhone users richer, brainier, more tasteful than Android-ers

A massive survey of smartphone users purports to show that iPhone users are sushi-eating leaders, while anyone touting an Android handset prefers steak and following others. The survey comes from Hunch.com, and is compiled from the responses of 15,000 people who volunteered to answer questions on the company's website, so it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sandman
    Thumb Up

Totally accurate!

Couldn't agree more. We're also more mature, better looking (much better actually, the acne has healed on us), sexier (goes without saying really), way more intelligent, better dressed, Armani and Prada in my case (paid for, not looted, looted doesn't count), total masters of the technical landscape and the first choices to colonise the universe.

And then I woke up....

1. Elmer Phud
      Happy

iDiot's guide?

It could also be said that it means that Android users are normal people.

1. Gil Grissum
        Pint

Commoners versus ruling class?

It could also be said that Android users are "commoners" (the type that loot and riot) rather than the ruling class. At least that's what "Jesus Mobe" and "fondle slab" owners think. :-)

2. Chimpofdoom!
      Angel

Also...

Don't forget our ability to walk on water, and turn it into wine!

3. Wize

My experience of average member of public...

...is that many think any phone with internet is an iPhone. Same for people thinking all tablets are called iPads.

Usually the ones with more money than sense throwing cash around to look cool buy gadgets by name, just like they by their clothes.

2. Gerrit Hoekstra
    Mushroom

Not true if you consider the latest generation of iPhone owners...

...who looted their iPhones from shops in the recent riots. More like pie-eating, lager-swilling, entitlement-sheeple, innit?

1. DrXym

I'm waiting

For these morons to be caught when a stolen phone's IMEI turns up on their registered SIM. I sure hope Carphone Warehouse et al did actually keep a list of stock and IMEIs for this sort of thing...

2. Keith Crooks
      Stop

Incorrect correction...

Did any iPhones actually get looted? I thought all the looters were happy with their Blackberrys ... it sounds like Burberry init blood!

1. Captain Underpants
        Trollface

At least one numpty managed to make himself look suspicious

By posting a craigslist ad for 20 O2 iphone 4s for ~£300 a go on Tuesday last week. They may not have been looted, but would you want to take that bet?

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Question to be asked...

Is Hunch.com in any way related to AptiQuant?

1. I understand now

Funny that,

I was thinking the exact same thing.

4. Mike Judge
    Stop

No Suprises.

Everything about iPhone is image over everything else, and that survey just re-enforces that.

Android users don't follow the crowd, they are smart enough to explore better and cheaper alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Don't follow the crowd?

isn't that mainly due to the fact that "the crowd" in this case being the android operating system is hopelessly fragmented because every manufacturer tries to impliment it's own flavour and there doesnt seem to be a coherent upgrade path from phone to phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

No.

Since I first got a G1, I've used five different versions of Android, with my current phone presently running 2.3.

Tell me, how many versions of iOS have there been? Can all the iPhones that have been released run all versions of the OS?

No? Then sod off.

2. CyberCod
        Linux

Upgrade path

Upgrade path is actually pretty clear. Buy phone, root phone, install cyanogenmod. UPGRADED! Rather than buying a new phone every year, just upgrade to the next great firmware mod.

Confused? Probably because you're not accustomed to such base and lowly concepts like freedom and choice.

3. Gary B.

What crowd?

That sounds like "competition" to me...

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who needs an upgrade path?

Google slurp your phone data (including your FaceBook Friendstream) to your GMail account which in turn updates your Google+ account and all of your friends. You buy the new phone, configure your GMail account, and all that gets downloaded to the phone again. No fuss, no muss.

Beat that Apple!

5. karakalWitchOfTheWest
        WTF?

No upgrade path?

When I exchange my Android-Device for another, after keying in my gmail-credentials all my contacts are there, my phone downloads my applications, even my setting are there, because they are backuped by Google.

So about what "non existing" upgrade path are you babbling about without no clear knowledge about anything?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Crowd?

Really, as every Android adept likes to point out, Android now occupies the majority of the market. Therefore, you are by definition following the crowd.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This thread seems to attract iPhone idiots

that can't work out the difference between a phone (iPhone) and an OS (Android).

If I choose Android, I can choose any phone I like from a multitude of manufacturers, and despire what Steve Jobs tells his followers, any apps I have bought will almost certainly work on any and all of them (you of course only buy an app once, and you have it for life on your your devices).

The luxury of Android of course is I can switch phone brands as often as I wish, I am tied to none of them, and it also make them ALL try harder to be number one....

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

Why keep Changing Your phone?

Phone should last 2-3 years. Need to have plenty of spare cash to keep changing. Android phones don't compete they just copy the Iphone. They sure as heck look like them anyway.

2. Frederick Tennant

YES YES YES Your so right

I remember changing my old phone because I liked the way it looked e.g. Motorola Razr, LG Shine, Nokia 8800 Carbon are just a few. With apple you get 2 phones (soon to become 3) and thats it worse they look almost the same at the front. I got my Iphone because I wanted full integration with my mac, something all other phone manufactures ignored. Now all so called smart phones look the same, Microsoft is going a different route which is good (I think??) worse still nobody will be designing candy bar phones anymore as smart phones will take over.

Darwin has a lot to answer for

2. g e
        Trollface

Nah it just means

That obviously the Android crowd is the crowd to follow

The iFans merely constitute a was-crowd now fallen by the wayside and superceded

3. Tom 13

No following the crowd is by definition following the crowd.

If you've looked at the market, considered all the specs, and determined that a particular phone is the one that best serves your needs, you haven't followed the crowd even if you wind up buying a phone that is the most commonly bought.

You are only following the crowd if you bought a particular phone because Paris bought one too. Which seems to be more in the i[fill in the blank] crowd way of thinking.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Angel

@Tom 13

Whew! I'm clad that I'm not a cloud follower as I bought my iCrap because Lohan got one.

3. Dave 142

How exactly

If there are more Android users than iPhone users how can using Android be not following the crowd?

1. Gary B.
        FAIL

Because...

Maybe because the consumer has a huge number of choices when it comes to Android phone design, cost, and mobile carrier? That's like saying buying a Ford means you're following the crowd. Never mind that you may have bought an FR500 that is produced in small non-crowd-sized numbers, while someone else may have a base-model Focus... But yeah, other than the huge differences in models, you could call that "following the crowd"...

2. D2G
        Linux

Keep walking in that straight line...

because we can customize our experience and what phone/hardware we get.. Where you Apple lovers dont have any choice on the hardware you get, etc.. Enjoy that Fisherprice experience..

4. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

What a f**king crock!

No, irrespective of brand it merely tells me that anyone who puts that much stock in an electronic gadget that communicates, plays music and games really needs to get a fecking life!

It's just a phone, OK? It's not a fecking lifestyle choice! Should I ever wish to get a "smartphone", I hope I will be able to do it based on the technical merits, not on some fake, bullshit group affiliation cack that a group of ad-men think I should ally myself with!

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@AC 11:26 GMT

What fecking dinosaur are you? Smart phones are all that matters in life! If you don't have a smartphone, you will soon lose all your friends, your spouse, everything. If you don't have a smartphone, yery soon you won't be able to interact with any primate worldwide. Hell, even chimps use smartphones nowadays!

</irony>

"If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone." So what.

5. Gav
      Unhappy

Generalisations

Anyone who relies on their consumer object purchases to define and identify themselves are sad idiots who lack any personality of their own.

If you use an Android/iPhone and believe that you can categorize yourself by shared positive attributes you have with other Android/iPhone users then you are a sad idiot.

If you believe you can negatively generalise about all users of your non-preferred operating system then you are a sad idiot.

"Sad idiot" is, of course, a generalisation, but I find the things people say and believe are a far, far better indicator of the person than the make of mobile phone they own.

6. soaklord
      Thumb Down

Titleist

Last I checked, Android WAS the crowd. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Android has higher market share now, more activations per day, etc. Android has become the establishment.

7. N13L5
      Pint

Hey, watch what u say, my Android wasn't cheaper ;-)

I'm really glad they figured out that Lemmings are natural leaders!

I had mistakenly thought they were hell-bent on following into the next hype, dictatorship or down the next cliff...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you for your input

I'll put your survey on my pile of other stasticical surveys, right here on top of the "Opera users are smarter than IE users" survey *bump* Oups, it fell into the shredder.

6. SpaceJuice
    FAIL

Garbage

Every chav has an iPhone. There's even a Jeremy Kyle app!!!

7. DrXym

Perhaps they're more intelligent

Or perhaps Android users are more modest.

Perhaps we're even seeing the Dunning–Kruger effect in action where more intelligent people underestimate themselves and more unintelligent people overestimate themselves.

In summary, it's a silly survey conducted on self selected participants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

The Dunning–Kruger effect

I had never heard of that, so I looked it up.

QUOTE:

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

END QUOTE.

That describes my boss pretty well actually......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dunning-Kruger - Hadn't heard of that one either

Thanks!

8. James 51
    Stop

70% have never left the US?

What about the ones who have never been?

1. Douglas Lowe

pendatically...

...they'll never have left the US either ;-)

2. Armando 123
      Joke

If you've never been to the US

... your "phone" runs semaphore!

Okay, I apologize, that's cheap and wrong and perpetuates a stereotype of us USians, but dagnabbit, mockery and stereotype bashing is fun! Why should politicians and journalists have all the fun?

9. Miek

Yeah, well ...

Dave Lister /*thought*/ he could play guitar.

10. SAP Bod

Keep coming back to this ....

http://www.csectioncomics.com/2010/11/iphone-vs-android-vs-blackberry.html

11. Ancient Oracle funkie

In other words ...

... iPhone users are rich (have to be to pay for over-priced Apple stuff) poseurs while Android users are those who can't be arsed to "look cool" with the latest iCrap and are able to handle the freedom of Android apps

12. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Trollface

caput de culus adepto

It just goes to show how far up there you have to be to be an iPoop owner.

Mmmmm, SHINY SHINY PRECIOUS!

Gullible, Sheeplike dedicated follower of fashion more like.

Same people who buy Audi and BMW and they don't know how to drive those either.

Do these people know that we mutter "Tosser" at their backs? <LOL>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good one

I'm sure they'll be heart-broken. The reason you can anly mutter that at their back is because they are ahead of you.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Coat

@Good one

...and the reason they're in front of you is that they just cut you up, without usign their mirrors or indicating.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny

The really sad thing:

Audi = VW = Seat = Skoda = All one company. The cars are the same underneath with different bodies (cosmetic) and badges.

1. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

@Anonymous Coward Funny

The cars might all be the same, but the service you get from their respective dealers is completely different - I run both an Audi and a Skoda; Skoda dealer couldn't be more helpful, Audi dealer acts like they're doing you a favour by condescending to talk to you. (The Audi's going to be replaced by another Skoda next time round)

Oddly, given that the mechanics are 99% the same, there's also a fair variation on reliabliity; that seems to come down to which factory the car was built in - again Audi don't come out too well in comparison with Seat & Skoda.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not to mention

resale value.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Well that's bollocks

Because I have plenty of taste and sophistication, now where did I put the Super Brew...oh bugger it I'll go down the Happy Shopper and get me some of that £2 Generic 3 litre cider.

14. bart

NarcIssIsm

Apple is missing the killer design feature that would attract even more discerning consumers. I'm amazed they haven't added a mirror finish to it! Users could look like they're using some intensely important app, but instead gaze intently into the eyes of the one they love . . .

Get on it Steve. Give your customers what you really want.

1. darklord
      Coat

Nah Therell get sued

Remember the LG shine was for this very purpose. (shame the phone was Cr*p. My daughter insisted on having it cause it was girly and shiny.)

Lg would have a field day I suspect theres a patent on "The mirror" finish and we all know how well Apple likes to tow the line on Patent infringement.

2. Kirstian K
      Coat

to clarify..

for the iphone 4 (and ipad 2) there are morror app's that use the front camera that therefore turns the device into a mirror..!

tut, tut, andriod user, didnt figure that one out for yourself...

i guess the survey was correct..

lol

3. IE User

...also Android user

killer app? how about a non-glossy screen, so I can use a phone or a tablet outdoors?

I'm willing to give up some of my riches for that (and drink a pint with the evening cheese plate instead of some dry white)

4. Gary B.
      Go

Mirror

I had thought of this, and since the iFone 4 (sic) has a front-facing camera, it wouldn't be difficult to write an app that takes the input and reverses it properly to display on the screen like a mirror would.

5. Michael Habel
      Gimp

Re: NarcIssIsm

replace Mirror with Image of his Holiness (St Stevens of Jobs), and then you'd have your "Killer App"...

6. steogede

Re NarcIssIsm

>> Apple is missing the killer design feature that would attract even more discerning consumers. I'm amazed they haven't added a mirror finish to it!

There's an app. for that.

15. Daniel Owen

Richer?

So people that purchase more expensive phones are richer? Hold the front page?

1. Keith Crooks
      FAIL

Missed oppertunity

You've missed an excellent opportunity to use the 'no shit sherlock' icon there. For that I'm going to play the 'fail' icon.

Good day!

2. Crazy Operations Guy

The opposite is more often true

Where I live I see more Welfare Whales buying expensive stuff than the people that can actually afford it. I suppose their spending habits are what put them in their respective income groups.

3. llewton

no i won't post anonymously.thanks.

sometimes they just get their mom to buy them an ithing. doesn't mean they're richer. it just means their mom got poorer.

curiously no comments from windows users who got spanked rather wonderfully in the article. reinforces the theory that there may not really be any windows users out there.

16. Geoff Thompson
    Happy

Paid?

Someone got paid for doing this? Worth it for the laugh anyway, I'm still chuckling.

17. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

Why not a brainscan?

It would show that Android user are afraid of the dark and had a childhood marred by authoritarian parents, which makes them prone to vote conservative, own guns, protest income taxes, listen to speeches of Michelle Bachmann or doubt the amerricanosity of Obama.

They should all be re-educated in fresh, new white buildings built in the beautiful green fields of Montana.

1. TheRead
      Trollface

I take issue with this post!

I think a fair amount of people with authoritarian right-wing parents end up going completely on the other end, rebelling by believing in such crazy liberal lies as freedom of the person over their own body, health care for even poor people, and governments needing to take in taxes in order to support their most disenfranchised citizens.

More importantly, supporters of Michelle Bachmann are still on Symbian.

18. The Taft Hotel
    Facepalm

What a joke!

You looked at hunch.com's home page? Say's it all!

All the survey really says is that the kind of dicks that have iphones use that site :)

1. Crazy Operations Guy
      FAIL

I see that you didn't read the whole article

Since the writer already made that point.

19. 404
    Linux

Whatever...

...lets you sleep at night, bitch.

;)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that figures...

I'm an Android user and I'm a pleb

21. b166er

Big_Boomer

WARNING: off-topic

it's true, most ppl who buy BM's are utter wankers.

Most BM's these days are shite anyway. There are a couple of good ones, but the rest are just status symbols.

The 1 series for example is a Rover and is not that dissimilar to a Hyundai i30 and is BMW's best-selling vehicle.

Shame really, I remember the day when I wanted a BMW, same with Audi, I did have an 80 Quattro for a while.

These days, I find Ford's have more allure, not least for the choice of colours!

1. Arthur Jackson
      Coat

BMW Marque

I originally thought that all BMW drivers were selfish wankers until I realised it is only the "i" variant ( 320i, 520i ) that comes with factory fitted indicators.

22. Dave 142

How I Met Your Mother

The most damning result of the survey was that Android users generally like 'How I Met Your Mother'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

@Dave 142

!!! How can you not appreciate the Barnacle?

Mines the, ummm, well suit one obviously!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lack of (Lynx) effect

I must confess that I'd have thought I'd had this phone long enough for some of the purported benefits to have occured.

But alas no. Still haven't dared purchase sushi rather than a ham and cheese sandwich from tesco. Seem to be forgetting more things and I'm fairly sure my pay is middle league. As to the sex angle, I'm married but a bit of attention I could politely decline would be nice.

Perhaps its just me.

24. Anon
    Mushroom

"brainier, more tasteful"

So, come the zombiepocalypse...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

The REAL issue...

Can be summed up perfectly by quoting one line from the article: "so simple even Windows Mobile users can understand it."

26. Arctic fox
    Windows

I have often seen marketing which revolves around trying to convince the punter that..........

.............that they (against *all* the evidence including the bathroom mirror and their girlfriend's howls of laughter) that they will be smarter, sexier, better looking and more popular if they buy this, that or the other product. I am on this occasion however forced to issue my hearty congratulations to the marketing department of Apple Corp. This is the first time that I have ever really seen that form of advertising work on this kind of scale - you guys are clearly worth every penny Apple pay you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Aspirational marketing

When the truth is closer to perspirational, in that hard work will generally get you further towards your goals than purchasing a certain gadget or vehicle. Such items should be a tool towards an end or a personal reward enjoyed for their own sake.

Talking of perspiration, at least Lynx and Old Spice advertising make a joke of that side of marketing. Though as it's still marketing, the people behind it must by definition be evil drains on society preventing us from reaching our true destiny among the stars.

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

Re "Aspirational marketing"

To add to your list of those adverts that have taken the micky out of aspirational marketing I have to say that one of my favourites is the Carling Black Label series whose punchline "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label" became a national favourite.

2. CD001

Look up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkd5dJIVjgM

27. NFFC
    Holmes

Android users lack humour, self-awareness.

That Android users are anal literalists is again the real story. Just check the comments on any story here or elsewhere under a article that mentions iPhones in any context whatsoever.

Winding up Android users is like shooting fish in a barrel.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Trollface

Mmmkay

I think you wanted this icon.

2. sandman
      Flame

Excellent blood sport

I've never been able to understand the quasi-religious fervor that some people invest in aspects of technology, it would almost appear that they don't have lives. You buy a phone because it has the features YOU want, I buy one for the features I want. My choice is quite literally of no concern to you and vice versa. Same applies to operating systems, hardware, etc, etc. The fact that people have to trumpet their choices as being better/less evil/packed full of vitamins or whatever, rather implies that they don't have sufficient faith in their choices to just be quietly satisfied with them.

Instead they feel the need to demean the choices of others in order to boost their self-regard and gain the approval of those who are like-minded. This type of puerile behaviour is common in other fields as well, politics, religion, string theory, etc, but seems particularly pathetic when talking about a phone for (insert deity (or none) of choice) sake.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'My choice is quite literally of no concern to you and vice versa'

This statement is true up until the point one of the choices start making up their own "standards" that are incompatible with the other choice.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite.

I thought that it was supposed to be the people that choose Apple products that were the humourless and self-righteous sheep. Judging by the comment here, the opposite seems true. Must we go through this utter banality *everytime* an article that mentions Apple, Google or Android is featured? I know it's the school holidays, but this thread takes the biscuit.

5. Kubla Cant

Winding up Android users is like shooting fish in a barrel

If the fish are in a barrel, what sort of moron uses a rod and line?

Is there an app for killing fish in a barrel?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Richer, Brainier, Tastier,

Better with Colour, Lighter on their Feet...

29. Select * From Handle
    Thumb Up

To Sum up Hunch Survey

If you are an iPhone user you are more likely to be an upper class citizen with a degree pay'd for by dady, who enjoys musicals, fine wines and spirits and who has more money than sense since. Because for the last 10-20 years you have been buying mac because apple have aimed at the premium market with no real functionality...

Makes me sick...

30. tracyanne
    Stop

iPhone and Android users

are both vacant followers of fashion

31. Richard 20
    Go

iPhone users are more affluent (as the phone is pricier) therefore tend to be older. All else follows from these self-evident facts.

(unless you're a phone-geek you would't purchase an Android device if you could afford an iPhone).

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Wow, the same old shite years later

"iPhone users are more affluent (as the phone is pricier) therefore tend to be older. All else follows from these self-evident facts.

(unless you're a phone-geek you would't purchase an Android device if you could afford an iPhone)."

Another English man talking bollox! Most iphone owners get them free (or seriously reduced) on their mobile contract. Hmmm, that seems to contradict what you've just spouted.

Hardly a sign that they are affluent, more effluent.

Most iphone owners are not intelligent enough to realise that they are being played by Apple, like a fiddle.

And you el Reg, STILL perpetuating the same old shite. What’s up? Got nothing else to report on?

Just stop the same old crap people, we are sick of hearing it.

32. CD001

Hmmm?

Android, iPhone, whatever - it's just a part-time phone, part-time internet connected plaything - seriously, people actually care about these things?

As long as it can send text messages like "On my way to the pub now, get a round in!" what more does it really need to do?

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tells us nothing.

What it tells us is how some people who lied to some website about their phone also lied to that website about how they would like to be seen. And that is when we assume the website didn't lied about the poll in the first place.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've thought for a long time that...

ranty haters are just bitter and resentful when faced with their own view of themselves and their status in society. They lack the ability to think critically and objectively and can only reassure themselves of their own importance by pouring vitriol and spite onto others who aren't exactly the same as they are. They seem to go in for sweeping generalisations too.

And so we see it here again: BMWs, iPhones, fine wines, upper class, more money than sense, seethe, seethe, hate, hate. Irony is, it all comes across as fatuous and impotent and seems to confirm that what these people aleady fear about themselves is, in fact, true.

Whining is really boring and self-indulgent, please find something interesting to say.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@enigmatix

That was a fine whine.... Iphone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

nope

nor BMW

Which was my point, in fact.

2. r_a_trip

Humans aren't interesting

***Whining is really boring and self-indulgent, please find something interesting to say.***

I could say the same to you. Coming in here with that up beat, better-than-you positivism. You are just one uninteresting specimen of humanity among the rest. We all come in to this world naked, we live meaningless lives and we leave this world lying flat. Welcome to a random, meaningless universe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@r_a_trip

That's the first time I've been described as "up beat".

As for "meaningless lives", I think it's up to every individual to find some meaning (and some point) to their existence. If people don't want to do that then I don't think they can really justify pouring scorn on those that do. But this may all be too positive for you, if so, I apologize for imposing that on you.

35. hamacy
    Holmes

THAT'S what's been missing in my life

I'm off to chat a iGenius to see how (s)he can make me richer, brainier and more tasteful. (S)he'll probably charge me mightily for the iprivilege but, hey what price cool?

(Sherlock because this tells us everything you need to know about the mentality of the deluded isouls)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

At least...

those you mock would know that “an” precedes “iGenius”, not “a”.

1. hamacy
        Facepalm

I know, I feel so inadequate now

I should have spoken to a iGenius before I posted. Thank you for pointing out my inferiority.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

No...

Just proof read your missives. There's a good chap. Nice to see that you know you station though.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a bit like the old Mitchell and Webb ads

The whole PC versus Mac thing; Jez being a smug, preening tosser, Mark being a pretty down to earth, nerdy guy.

Actually fits quite well in this context.

It certainly wasn't one of Apples better choices though.

37. Steve Evans

Oooh...

Looks like the range of the Jobsien reality distortion field is larger than we initially thought!

38. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Can you explain...

why you used a screen grab from Two and a Half Men to go with this headline?

39. Armando 123

Meh

Okay, I have an advanced degree, own an iPhone, and like a good Riesling. However, I also own a chainsaw, go squirrel and deer hunting, have season tickets to the local NFL team, and like watching dirt-track sprint and midget races.

And I refuse to eat sushi; I've cleaned too many fish to do that.

OTOH, I do know a couple Android users who keep trying to argue that I paid too much for my iPhone and that their phone is just as good. They say the same thing about their Korean cars and my VW Golf ... until we raced.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

meh

"However, I also own a chainsaw"

figures. chainsaws are for soft flabby yuppy wannabes, next time, try an axe..... if you can lift one.

40. This post has been deleted by its author

41. Sarah Davis

don't forget other surveys

wasn't there a survey a couple of years ago showing iPhone and Apple fanbois were more likely to be pretentious and exaggerate or lie

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it's more telling that iPhone users are 50% more likely to have used the internet *before* 1992 :)

So who other than Tim Berners-Lee filled in this survey and had used it back then?...

1. Armando 123

Uh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rn_%28newsreader%29

web <> internet

Bah, kids these days with their androids and fax machines and hula hoops; don't know a thing about punch cards and drum memory and aaaaaaAAAAAAAAGH!

</grumpy_old_man>

43. Jim 59

Text driving

iPhone users were dumb enough to text while driving. That is the only bit of the survey that is not humourous.

44. tw@tpanda
    Flame

Hmmm...

So the choice is between sushi and steak? That's no contest, steak all the way! Flame grilled of course.

45. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

Infographic...

"...so simple even the Windows Mobile user can understand it."

There, fixed that for you.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

There are surveys, surveys and damed surveys

"Android users being 71% more likely to have never left the USA"

You had me laughing at this point as I had to chastise myself for forgetting that nothing exists outside of the US of A...

47. Volker Hett

To sum up the comments

When I want to be a cool frood I better get an Android. Luckily I have one already.

So I can go out for a Steak, Kobe of cause, and a beer, Sylter Hopfen please.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Cool?

I think you mean Hoopy Frood - and make sure your android doesn't have dodgy diodes down the left side, it'll bitch and moan forever.

Can I get a hitchhikers icon?

1. BorkedAgain
        Headmaster

Hoopy as adjective?

...and there was me thinking it was a noun. As in "Hey, you sass that hoopy, Ford Prefect?"

The towel locator app is more likely to be found on Android. just saying. Draw your own conclusions...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Adjective

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoopy

48. The Jase

From the front of the Hunch webpage

Has reading comprehension dropped?

The front of their webpage states

"Hunch does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any advice or content on the Hunch site"

49. spiny norman

Help!

I want a new phone and obviously the image thing is far more important than mere functionality. So do I want to be seen as a macho, country-dwelling, red-neck, Matalan-shopping misery guts with more sense than money, or a girly, city slicker, liberal optimist with more money than sense?

50. Willington

So, reading between the lines...

iPhone users are a bunch of arrogant pricks who think the law doesn't apply to them and would make excellent drummers in a cheese shop. Well that's how I read it.

51. This post has been deleted by its author

52. Syntax Error
    WTF?

Read the Small Print on the Page

"Hunch does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any advice or content on the Hunch site"

53. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Put this survey together with the one saying IE users are dumber...

...and run. Grab a popcorn. Take a seat. Watch the flame wars!

54. Zero Sum
    Thumb Down

Android logo: Fat, no-neck alien

The main problem with Android (for me, at least) is that its logo is a fat, angry alien with no neck! I mean, look at those antennae/eyebrows – the creature hates humans.

I'm sure it's not meant to symbolise Americans in general, but it certainly could be a figurehead for the Republicans – as is borne out by its user profiles.

Who on Earth commissioned the design of that revolting, snot-coloured fascist icon?

55. Dana W
    Flame

Meh.

Bla, bla, bla, fashion, bla, bla bla, iSheep, Bla Bla, money, bla, bla, bla..............

I am the LEAST trendy, least fashion conscious person I know. I get my admittedly pricy Apple kit because after a life of fiddling with computers I don't want to anymore. It does what I need without me ever having any issues. Three Macs, six years, one dodgy power switch in a laptop once. Was fixed overnight, not shipped in a box to somewhere to wait for weeks. "I'm talking to YOU Dell"

Same with my phone. Had a GPS fail once. Went to the Apple store, they looked at it, handed me another one and sent me on my way. It took ten minutes This is what people want, they want something that like their TV works when they turn it on, and they don't have to think about. that's all they want to know. THIS is why Apple is minting money. They make it a good experience. Nobody I converted ever regretted it.

Yes I could run an Android phone and jack new OS updates even when the maker refuses to provide. But why do I want the hassle? The vast majority of phone owners cannot. Most don't know what an OS IS! And they don't WANT to know. "Half the Android owners I meet think its the same thing as iOS only cheaper." And these people don't give a wet slap about what open source is at all. They want to know if it plays movies, Angry Birds and Facebook. That's your average user.

Apple works for what I need it for, and I could care less what other people are using, or what anybody else thinks. I'm tired of fiddling around to keep computers stable. I use my fiddling time these days to play with my old Beetle or my little French moped. I decided about 2005 one dark night that having to pull a virus out with a registry editor instead of sleeping was simply not worth my time. If wanting my computer and phone to simply work with no hassles and eat none of my time makes me a sheep, well Baa Baa Baa.

Get the hint folks. The tech companies don't care about the the geeks anymore, just the sheep they market to. And there are just as many sheep with Winboxes as with Macs. And just as many sheep with Android as with iOS. The iSheep buy the pretty, and the Winsheep buy Windows "because everyone uses it".

Sheep are sheep. Most of us buy what works for us, stupid people buy shiny for shiny's sake, no matter the brand.

56. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

They just be followers of a control-freak, crony-capitalist, patent troll.

More money and more expensive toys does not automatically indicate good culture, good taste, good judgement or even virtue.

Google at least recognise that IP is a pointless and expensive game, and only reluctantly seek their own patent portfolio, to protect Google from corporations who would rather sue to reduce choice than recognise that Capitalism involves and requires competition, without arbitrary state privilege and protection (i.e. corporatism) which corrupts the market.

57. HP Cynic

Wow

The key words in the article were "It's all nonsense of course" and year here we are after literally dozens of comments actually arguing about the whole iPhone/Android (and their respective users).

Many of them tongue-in-cheek of course but still....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like