back to article iPHONE 5 SHOCK! US Apple store 4G kit-fit snapped

A photograph of LTE equipment being fitted in a US Apple store has reinvigorated rumours that the next iPhone will come with 4G technology built in, for AT&T at least. The pic was sent to Engadget, with a note saying that the kit being fitted supports LTE in the 700MHz and 3G bands (known in the US as Advanced Wireless Service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chimpofdoom!
    Big Brother

And here's the image...

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Apple-LTE.jpg

A quick google later.. I'd be more impressed if they had an iphone 5 testing it in the picture too....

2. nzphil

Actually for LTE WiFi hotspot and LTE USB stick

AT&T have already stated that they are installing these base stations as part of the rollout of new LTE WiFi hotspots and LTE USB sticks that will hit the Apple store 21 August, so it still seems unlikely the new iPhone will support LTE.

3. Ru
    Unhappy

The UK, however, won't get LTE for a while

I'm sure we'd all be happy just to have widespread reliable 3andabit-G mobile data coverage. I assume that will be fitted shortly after we all get FTTP, which will in turn be fitted personally by Lucifer himself, on skis.

1. ThomH

Fibre to the cabinet is happening though

It's listed as "available in some areas" in the small town I grew up in, my London Zone 2 flat's exchange will be upgraded in March (which will be nice, as I currently get 3 Mbps, being more than 1.5km from the exchange), and I know they've done a similar thing in Manchester and Liverpool upgrading from the outside inward and are expecting to get to the centre of both during 2012.

2. andy mcandy
      Trollface

title.

never mind that, i would be very happy with a semi-decent 2G signal where i live, without having to hang out of the window or go to the other side of the village!

however the upside of this is i can ignore sms and phone calls with the excuse "i didnt have any signal"

ooh its a tough life :)

4. Spearchucker Jones
    Mushroom

LTE is not 4G.

That is all.

1. me n u
      Meh

you're wrong...

...if you're in marketing anyway.

Actually, LTE is NOT currently 4G, but it is "evolving" into 4G

5. me n u
    Stop

I think you have it backwards

It's T-Mobile that gets the $3B if the deal falls through, not ATT.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Trollface

Googorola and App-Mobile

Or Apple is buying T-Mobile because Google bought Motorola.

1. pditty
      Facepalm

LTE

The US has more 4G than the UK has 3G (except for London).

People in the UK are worried about buying 4G phones, let's get some 3G coverage before we get too worked up about that.

1. Davidoff
        WTF?

Be careful, '4G' in the US != '4G' in the UK

"The US has more 4G than the UK has 3G (except for London)."

Be careful, the Yanks even label 3G and 3.5G networks as '4G' so you're comparing apples to oranges. In Europe, '4G' means LTE, '3.5G' means HSDPA/HSUPA, '3G' means UMTS, and 2G means GSM with GPRS or EDGE. In the USA. '4G' means LTE but also means HSDPA/HSUPA and even UMTS, '3G' means 'EDGE' and '2G' means GSM+GPRS and WCDMA. Apples and oranges.

Additionally, what many in the UK consider to be '3G' (which really is plain UMTS) is in fact already 3.5G (HSDPA/HSUPA). And it's even broadly available in the UK countryside already (and coverage is growing).

Add to this that many areas in the US don't even have any basic GSM or WMCDA cell phone coverage at all (and thanks to the American oligopol they have thanks to the 'free unregulated market' they so strongly believe in, and which already presents them with ridiculously expensive price plans and no real choice, this won't change soon), and the picture for good ol' UK looks much brighter.

7. Eddy Ito

700 or 1700 MHz

Currently t-mob is using the 1700 MHz bit whereas the 700 MHz was only recently vacated by TV. Granted, @&T gobbled a fair amount in the 700 MHz auction so the t-mob buy shouldn't matter much if at all especially as t-mob, IIRC, didn't get much of anything in the 700 MHz round.

8. D2G
    FAIL

How fast can you get to your download cap?

Lol - so what? You get to your download/bandwidth cap faster? :S LTE or not its still AT&T crap network.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like