back to article Sony ballyhoos budget PSP

While the PS Vita lingers on the horizon, Sony is readying a refreshed PlayStation Portable - model E-1000 - for a penny short of £100. PSP E-1000 The move means the company will market a cheaper portable console than arch-rival Nintendo is following the recent 3DS price cuts. One downside: the budget Sony here lacks Wi-Fi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. annodomini2
    FAIL

Title we don't need no stinking title

I have a PSP, but this stinks of:

"LOST THE PLOT!"

2. DrXym

Seems a bit penny pinching

I suppose the PSP never used its wifi as much as it should have but there are still games and apps which take advantage of it. For example the browser, skype, remote PS3, games like LittleBigPlanet, Modnation Racers etc. I suppose PSN is just about accessible through a USB cable but it's hardly an impulse purchase sort of thing if you have to hook your PSP up to a PC or PS3 in order to download anything.

Anyway I guess it does break the £100 barrier and might make it more attractive to some people. The PSP as a platform is pretty much near the end of its life though. It still gets new releases but it's more like the PS2 in its twilight years than a going concern.

3. nemo20000
    Facepalm

No WiFi, no point

My PSP still gets used every single week... as a podcast and internet radio player.

I can’t believe the aerial and radio chip would be much of a saving when a USB WiFi adapter can be had on eBay for less than £4: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-150Mbps-USB-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-802-11-n-g-b-Adapter-/130557933085

4. Silvergunner
    FAIL

Design flaw

If there is no wi-fi, how is multiplayer possible between nearby systems? Are Sony suggesting we plug in a cable like Ye Olden Dayes, or did they miss the point altogether?

5. Alex Walsh

wifi

The only thing I've ever used the wifi for involved using my hacked PSP as a XBMC remote :-)

Still too expensive IMHO. Needs to be £70-£80

6. MJI Silver badge

Too much with no WiFi

If you have a PSP this is a downgrade.

If it was less money - a possible buy.

For that much two of these is a Vita - now that is a better idea.

7. Jay 2
    FAIL

Really should have WiFi

In this day and age, such a device should really have WiFi, moreso as all the existing models do!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like